Long range Direct Fire

Reaction score
    Ive been testing some things out and so far i have found that for long range shooting beam weapons are horrible.

even at just 1000 range a beam+beam gun rarely hits a moving target successfully while canon+beam guns can hit moving isanth at over 2k with decent reliability.

is it just that i suck at aiming beams or does everyone have similar findings?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    My gut is that cannons do better at range. I theorize that the beam simply fizzles out at a certain range, while the cannon round just keeps going, but doesn't focus on the target so you have to aim manually.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You probably just suck at aiming. How far have you gone to get a decent shot? I typically turn my FOV down to 30 when I go into combat. (my minimum acceptable FOV while doing everything else is 85)
    That being said, if I remember correctly, 1km is the range of beam/beam on default settings.

Reaction score
    what i mean to say is that when i fire my cannon at over 2k range it makes Swiss cheese out of a pirate isanth easily

when i fire the same size laser at over half the range i rarely do more then damage the armor a bit
    if i want to score "decent" hits i need to be within 500m

max range of 1:1 beam:beam is 2k btw, i have hit stations at that range using them, but that's the only thing ive successfuly hit at that range using beams

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Beams can't pierce through armor, unlike cannons. Also, there's a bug with beam hit registration being very broken at longer ranges, so that's probably your problem.