Logic transmission of light colors to light blocks

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In light of the recent changes, I think the following would fit in well:

1. Place an activation block next to a light block A. Edit: Just adjacent placement, no C-V connection
    2. Connect the activation block to any number of light blocks B
    3. Whenever the activation block updates to TRUE, the all light blocks B switch to the color of the light block A

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nope, this would break things. Putting light blocks next to logic is done fairly often for status checks, and the logic sometimes goes to other lights...

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nope, this would break things. Putting light blocks next to logic is done fairly often for status checks, and the logic sometimes goes to other lights...
    If you are using light blocks next to logic for checks, you have connected the activation block to the light block with C-V. It could work without conflict if sending light values via logic updates required the adjacent light block to be adjacent but not connected.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I can see this could make giant colour screens possible.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Would be handy for red alerts or airlocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    almost a necro post but i just had this idea and found this thread.

one option is to reverse the c-v connection.
    e.g. i have light A and light B. i want to make light B the same colour as light A. i press C on light A then V on a button then C on the button and V on light B. that way it doesn't matter if the button is next to the light or not. this would work in a similar way to the new rail-logic interaction released in the last update.

another option is to add a new type of light block that is an "RGB" light. this would be the only type of light that can have its colour set and you could not set other lights from it. this would mean it would not affect existing systems and also wouldn't need the reversed C-V linking. if the "RGB" light is the preferred option then it might be worth also having the reversed linking as an option as it adds flexibility. one last advantage of the "RGB" light is that it prevents accidentally changing the colour of the light you are using to set other lights colours. i would also propose that the "RGB" light would not be toggleable by pressing R on them but instead it opens a menu that you can use to set its colour from a list of colours (no custom colours because that would use too much memory). this menu could also be used to change its activation state.

EDIT: another advantage of using the reversed C-V linking is that you can link multiple buttons to the same light so that you only need one of each colour of light on an entity.

Last edited: