Logic systems feature requests

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, it isn't so much an XOR as it is a way to toggle a value whenever a switch is flipped. It's not actually useful for something like reading parity values.

Anyway, what is the purpose of 1-only XOR?
    The most common use of XOR that I'm aware of is in Adders, where it is 2-3 input. At the moment a half-adder takes 4 blocks to implement, and a full-adder 9, whereas were an XOR block available they would only take 2 and 5 respectively. In that scenario, a 1-only (not really)XOR would be perfectly fine. However, if the example was multiple corridor switches controlling the lighting system, it would be appallingly bad.

My argument for a 1-input only XOR was based on faulty logic: forgetting a) 3-bit truth tables, and b) 2-bit logic is chained gates. In other fields, possible, we may be able to to think of 'exclusive or' as implying mutual exclusiveness, 'one of', rather than 'either-or', since we are not restricted to only 2 states. I acknowledge that is a weak argument though, as I am moving into semantics.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    With your example of having multiple switches for lighting or a door or something, it's honestly best to have all the switches wired together. That lets you toggle from any location.