Logic Swarm Missiles?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Just wondering on this what the decent setup would be to fire an ungodly amount of missiles out of a logic swarm setup.

Last time I tried with a basic clock setup and it was less than impressive. I know there are people around who've gotten the logic swarm missile setup to be very dangerous in terms of how many missiles per second they can fire.

Reaction score
    I played with this a little bit...

Though I found that putting them on a logic clock was not so useful for ships you want to fly, since to get the number of missles you want.. you need a substancial level of power, which makes it essentially your primary weapons system... and for that it's practically useless.

It did give me an idea though for an interesting zone defense weapon...

A ship with no thrust, just power, and swarm missiles on a logic clock (as you're mentioning in OP). It would instantly kill you once you get out of it, since heat seek missiles DGAF like that, but that's half the fun.. Because this little doodad will attack ANYTHING that comes near it.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want a large number of missiles, you'll want to place single missile tube blocks which aren't touching.. each one with 100% mod from secondary effect will get you 10 missiles. I didn't get to test it much, but I was told that adding more than necessary of the secondary block will not increase it's effect but will increase damage? Would be a nice way to get the damage of each swarm up, without having to place 2 blocks per swarm or 3, 4, ...,
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438120616,1438120489][/DOUBLEPOST]Second note: I did make use of them once I experimented a bit. I use a ship which has a Missile+Pulse weapon (heavy bomb). That bomb is slow, so it has a high probability of getting shot down by anti-missile systems.. SO.... I added in a couple hundred swarm missile pods.. I fire those off, then the bomb goes through the middle of them. Sends anti-missile bobby-ai turrets into a seizure.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I use logic controlled forward firing ion torpedoes along with volleys of hi-exp swarmers firing vertically. The system does require a good power platform to do meaningful damage while firing the primaries but it is very viable. I was flying about testing the reactor limits when I came into one of those sectors that has a ball of about 20-40 or so pirate ships milling about. Some isanths, some custom ones. My ship can deal with waves of fighters but not 40 or so missile ships all at once. I activated the system and I can honestly say it behaved to perfection and got me back to 222 safe and sound.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I know I've also seen a means of firing an endless stream of missiles floating around here somewhere. The thing fired so many missiles the game stopped rendering them all somehow firing multiple sets of them a second. No clue if it ever got posted though. :(

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I had an idea of using a mechanical rail based system to fire missiles in sequence, either multi-effect warheads or lines of swarmer but I never did anything with it as it was space intensive. I may give it another go.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I know I've also seen a means of firing an endless stream of missiles floating around here somewhere. The thing fired so many missiles the game stopped rendering them all somehow firing multiple sets of them a second. No clue if it ever got posted though. :(
    You rang? (Something dumb like 8 shots (80 missiles) per second iirc)

Reactions: kiddan

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Wonder if it is possible to mount that monster on a ship or ship satellite and move it into doomsday position near enemy stations or as a sector guard? Than just add some wifi on/off switches to it and players of the faction without a stealth ship not in a hurry to die could float on past without an issue.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    you could use a turret ai with no weapons to activate the system. An activation block should ping if it rotates off the 90.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    you could use a turret ai with no weapons to activate the system. An activation block should ping if it rotates off the 90.
    AI has to have a weapon to see anything. A smallest missile + beam combo would give it an overkill amount of range.

Reaction score
    Wonder if it is possible to mount that monster on a ship or ship satellite and move it into doomsday position near enemy stations or as a sector guard? Than just add some wifi on/off switches to it and players of the faction without a stealth ship not in a hurry to die could float on past without an issue.
    I mentioned exactly that in my post.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    AI has to have a weapon to see anything. A smallest missile + beam combo would give it an overkill amount of range.
    Just use whatever weapon combo suits the range your needs. All it has to do is move when bad guys appear and the death blossom thingy with do the rest.

Heh. This has me thinking about putting such a weapon on a ship. Either wired to heat seekers (which is redundant as you could just use a turret but you could mount that inside the hull so...oh dear.) or mounted on a large turret so that the logic gun can point toward the enemy.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It's gets even funnier because the damage per round fired doesn't have to be all that high with that many missiles either. As they say in Borderlands, "Enemies not dying fast enough? Just fire more bullets!" :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    its funnier when you link each cluster to a dif effect in teh movement catagory (push/pull/stop)
    the ship that is being asulted gets thrown around like its in a wave

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    That gives me an idea, Make some have the Stop Effect, Make some have the EMP Effect, make some have the ION Effect, and the rest whatever you want. Now you've drained their shields, power, movement, and beat them up enough to take their ship or what's left of it without a fight.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    o yea once you drop sheilds you can board using your pistol instead of the slow boarding tool

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    o yea once you drop sheilds you can board using your pistol instead of the slow boarding tool
    Yep and dropping power and movement as well means the only way out is a fully charged jump drive from before they lost power. :) Also means nothing inside the ship trying to kill you or outside it for that matter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    no some people give there turrets nuff power gen to shoot once every so often even if the main ships power net is out (well i do at least)

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    That gives me an idea, Make some have the Stop Effect, Make some have the EMP Effect, make some have the ION Effect, and the rest whatever you want. Now you've drained their shields, power, movement, and beat them up enough to take their ship or what's left of it without a fight.
    Unless you're ship is about 3 times bigger than the one you intend to target you're not going to do anything meaningful with you're damage split over that many effects.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've built an automatic missile system that launches heat-seekers. It's a pretty simple setup, too. Make a square of basic rails and connect each rail to a button that is tied to a missile computer. As a rail docker runs along the track you've created, it activates each missile in turn. Use a rail speed controller to stop the system and control your rate of fire. I used enough missiles and tracks that I could continually fire the heat-seekers at full speed and have the first one reloaded by the time the docker got back around the track.

Because of the power costs, I didn't set this up as an offensive weapon. I made the missiles drain energy and really they were just there to thwart anti-missile turrets while my real missile system using guided missiles was at work.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have actually built logic controlled heatseekers into my home station as a "Gawdammit pirates, leave me alone!" tool.

The most basic way of doing it is pretty simple.

1. Create a clock pulse with an on/off (so the 4 block diamond version).
    2. Feed the clock pulse into a bank of delays in a daisy chain.
    3. From each delay, link it into a computer for an individual heatseeker array.
    4. Put down enough individual arrays that by the time the last one fires the first one is off CD.

You now have a push button system to toggle a nonstop firing array on or off.

If you want to make a defense satellite that does this, simply use wireless blocks to connect the primary on/off switch in your command center to your orbiter so you can turn it on at a safe distance.