Logic Stations

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have decided to edit this post to concisely lay out my idea for logic stations, and to put all my thoughts in one place.

Firstly, what is a logic station? simply it is a chair linked (using the 'C' & 'V' system) to a new block that I call a logic terminal. It is similar in concept to computers of other systems. Think of it as the computer and the logic blocks as the modules. Allowing it to function presumably like other duty stations when linked to a chair. The reason for this arrangement was in part inspired by this:
    A duty station is primarily created by including the computer of a particular system within a specific quarter....

....Using our simple ‘C’ and ‘V’ system linking though, you can link a chair to a duty station to allow the NPC to control that duty station from the chair rather than having to stand in front of the computer.
    I don't see NPCs controlling any real complicated logic with this, at least not right away, but it would be cool assigning an NPC to run the hangar bay controls.

What I envision is an input control block that allows the mapping of keys to the inputs of your circuit. When operating the logic station, your keyboard would control all inputs assigned to the logic terminal. Perhaps a neat gui could pop up as well; giving you the ability to name the terminal along with buttons representing the inputs. Naturally allowing you to use your mouse on said buttons for even more control of the circuit. I also thought about giving it the ability to be brought into the hotbar like other computers, allowing you to use the custom keybinds to control the multiple inputs of your circuit while piloting a ship.

However, Itherihad did bring up a good point. The functionality of the inner ship remote could be expanded to incorporate keybinding, perhaps making my logic terminal idea moot. After some careful thought, I agree; he is right.

On it's face my idea is perhaps nothing more than an enhanced ISR. If implemented, the logic terminal would make the ISR obsolete because with it, you could do exactly what the ISR does. Lets say you wish to simply make wingy bits move up and down through the hot bar. Currently the inner ship remote does a bang up job of allowing that. If using a LT, one could do the same thing by binding the left mouse button to the wingy bit activator. So, what to do?

Do not create a new block, or more precisely do not use another block id. Having both the logic terminal and the inner ship remote would be redundant. Logically, we should take the ISR and expand it's functionality to include the things discussed above, without removing any of it's current functions. Possibly even give it a fitting new texture and name, since it would be a vastly different block compared to what it is now.

I propose a new block that you can link activators and buttons to and assign keystrokes to those activators and buttons. once you do that you climb inside like any other computer but now you have complete control over your logic contraption through your keyboard.

When flying your ship drag the block to the hotbar and highlight it; it will now respond to the keystrokes you assigned just like you are in it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Neat idea, but governor is a loaded word. I assumed it was some sort of logic device to slow or gate a logic machine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I couldnt think of anything fitting so I settled on 'logic governor'

Edited the title and the op.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Keybind Controller?
    Keybinder?
    Logic Keybinder?
    Control Mapper?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Should be a function of the 'R' menu on an in-ship remote.

Reaction score
    I don't understand, whats an in-ship remote? Do we have those?
    Yes, a newer logic block. Its like an activation module, but pressing R on it lets you name it. Once named it pops up on the Weapon menu like a salvage computer does and can be turned on/off from the hot bar. Very useful addition to the game.

Reactions: faylew1012
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Should be a function of the 'R' menu on an in-ship remote.
    I was thinking it would be more like a cockpit, but I suppose it might be easier to expand the functionality of the inner ship remote. It would save a precious block id as well. However, one would have to work out how you get in the thing, since it would likely be useful on stations and such. Link build block to it?
    I don't understand, whats an in-ship remote? Do we have those?
    Inner Ship Remote
    Keybind Controller?
    Keybinder?
    Logic Keybinder?
    Control Mapper?
    Thanks jay. Im a little partial to Control Mapper myself, but I just had a thought. What do you guys think of Logic Core?

Reactions: nightrune

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I was thinking it would be more like a cockpit, but I suppose it might be easier to expand the functionality of the inner ship remote. It would save a precious block id as well. However, one would have to work out how you get in the thing, since it would likely be useful on stations and such. Link build block to it?
    Stations can just have plain old button panels... This really sounds like it'd be the most useful on ships, where a lot of functions need to be fired off literally on the fly, so I don't see how it would be worth it to awkwardly cram the functionality into stations.

If anything, given the new seat system they're adding, it should be possible to put seats on stations and link the hotkey bind blocks up to the seats anyway, if you like.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Stations can just have plain old button panels... This really sounds like it'd be the most useful on ships, where a lot of functions need to be fired off literally on the fly, so I don't see how it would be worth it to awkwardly cram the functionality into stations.

If anything, given the new seat system they're adding, it should be possible to put seats on stations and link the hotkey bind blocks up to the seats anyway, if you like.
    True, stations can have button panels, but wouldn't it be easier to use the button panel directly in front of the real you?

I agree it would be useful on ships, but do you not see its value on a station, if only for RP? How about operating a station's cargo bay crane with it? Without having to look between a wall of buttons and the crane itself.

As far as the seat thing goes, I guess I was more thinking about how the game works now, but I suppose instead of a 'Logic Core' it could be a 'Logic Station.'

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yep. In any case, I still stand by my opinion that we don't need it as a separate block; just add an option to use a keybind rather than the hotbar to Inner Ship Remotes.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yep. In any case, I still stand by my opinion that we don't need it as a separate block; just add an option to use a keybind rather than the hotbar to Inner Ship Remotes.
    I dont want it to handle a single keybind but multiple keybinds. Take that wall of buttons, link them all to a 'Logic Station,' assign each one a keystroke, sit down and have fun.

Forgive me if you already knew this :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I dont want it to handle a single keybind but multiple keybinds. Take that wall of buttons, link them all to a 'Logic Station,' assign each one a keystroke, sit down and have fun.

Forgive me if you already knew this :)
    No, I mean, like... Hit R on each Inner Ship Remote and it gives you an option to use a keybind instead of a hotbar name. Point to chair, hit C, hit V on all those Inner Ship Remotes, and boom. Keybinds.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    No, I mean, like... Hit R on each Inner Ship Remote and it gives you an option to use a keybind instead of a hotbar name. Point to chair, hit C, hit V on all those Inner Ship Remotes, and boom. Keybinds.
    Seems like you are trying to awkwardly cram functionality into chairs in order to make your argument. It would be far more intuitive to have a new block that acts like a computer from any other system. It would reduce bloat in the logic circuit by removing the need for every input to have an inner ship remote attached to it.

Also, you can only have so many keystrokes tied to your captains chair before you either; run out of keys or it becomes so convoluted it's a pain in the ass remembering them. With a new block you can have the same keys tied to multiple blocks. Highlight the one on your hotbar you wish to use at the moment, and only that one will respond to your button presses.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Seems like you are trying to awkwardly cram functionality into chairs in order to make your argument. It would be far more intuitive to have a new block that acts like a computer from any other system. It would reduce bloat in the logic circuit by removing the need for every input to have an inner ship remote attached to it.

Also, you can only have so many keystrokes tied to your captains chair before you either; run out of keys or it becomes so convoluted it's a pain in the ass remembering them. With a new block you can have the same keys tied to multiple blocks. Highlight the one on your hotbar you wish to use at the moment, and only that one will respond to your button presses.
    i disagree. i think his idea works just as well as yours. in the Inner Ship Remote naming window add an option for key binding and connect them to a chair/core/build block. any keystrokes made when in that chair/core/build block activate the relevant remote. u could have it using a separate computer instead of the chair/core/build block but it would need to have the keystrokes set at each block not the computer. otherwise i think it would get to easy to lose track of what is what. i don't know how having a separate computer would work with having it in the hotbar. maybe when it is selected it is the same as when it is entered? of activating the computer overrides the default key bindings (this would mean you would not want to set them to essential keys like w,a,s,d). if i have completely misunderstood ether of your ideas please forgive me and ignore this post. overall i think it is a great idea. i would also add the option of the Inner Ship Remote to behave like a button. i want this anyway but would be essential for this to work well i think.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think you are all over complicating things.
    There are 10 hot bars, each with 10 slots. We just need configurable keybindings for the hot bars. Much easier and it doesn't waste a block.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Seems like you are trying to awkwardly cram a new block into the game to make your argument for a feature that can be implemented more simply. ;)

If your ship has so many different custom keybinds that you need multiple keybind sheets, you need to consider simplifying or making some things into in-ship remotes... Or, as Atra said, having a copilot. Or, alternatively, routing your keybind block through AND gates with an in-ship remote to split it up manually, so that the OFF- and ON-states on the remote correspond to two sets of keybinds. (You can do this for any number of ISRs, too.) You think memorizing tons of awkward keybinds linked to a captain's chair is bad? Imagine 3 different sets of keybinds linked to the SAME KEYS. Plus, with your suggestion, you can't really fire weapons and use your custom keybinds on the fly... might as well just use the in-ship remotes we already have at that point.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seems like you are trying to awkwardly cram a new block into the game to make your argument for a feature that can be implemented more simply. ;)

If your ship has so many different custom keybinds that you need multiple keybind sheets, you need to consider simplifying or making some things into in-ship remotes... Or, as Atra said, having a copilot. Or, alternatively, routing your keybind block through AND gates with an in-ship remote to split it up manually, so that the OFF- and ON-states on the remote correspond to two sets of keybinds. (You can do this for any number of ISRs, too.) You think memorizing tons of awkward keybinds linked to a captain's chair is bad? Imagine 3 different sets of keybinds linked to the SAME KEYS.
    I guess we will have to agree to dissagree :D
    Plus, with your suggestion, you can't really fire weapons and use your custom keybinds on the fly... might as well just use the in-ship remotes we already have at that point.
    What would stop you from binding your weapons to the blocks im proposing? Use the same keybind per weapon group to keep things simple and organized, which was what I was going for by allowing one key to be bound to multiple blocks.

I edited the title, but still need to edit the op when i get time. In order to reflect all the thoughts brought forth here.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I updated the op finally. Hopefully it clears up a few things