Logic Jump Drives?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Do they still work and if so how are people doing them these days? Wanting to upgrade from a normal 4 block clock charging system to get my Loot Pinatas up to patch without the jump clock taking up half the ship. >_>

Logic charging at a reasonable speed and small enough to be placed just about anywhere on the ship that uses it would work wonders. :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually if someone could spell this out for me, I'd like to know how to build one too.

Only damage my ship has taken in months has been sun damage from accidentally jumping into a star, a small, cheap, automatically charging emergency jump drive I could hit at a moment's notice in a sun damage situation would be quite valuable.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Some forms of logic jump-drives still work, but instant pulses no longer work on them because of a cool down that they have. Here's a jump-drive that I've put together to be easily copy-pastable, moderately small, and moderately compact;
    Copy Pastable Logic Jump Drive

Now, I kind of want to explain what's happening in this build, because it's not the best build for every situation. All logic jump-drives have three main components, a control system, a clock and a bank of jump-drives.

The control system is self explanatory, it's the interface by which the player controls the drive. The one on mine is designed to be easy to use from the hotbar in laggy situations, however, it's possible to set it up differently for different needs. Mine requires at least two easily accessible hotbar slots dedicated to it to be functional, and it has two other hotbar slots that are not entirely necessary, but are recommended. Mine are set up this way so that when the game lags and you don't know the definite state of hotbar logic, you can just spam either the start or the stop and it'll always perform its listed job. Technically you could get away with one bit of hotbar logic acting as a switch, allowing the clock to contact the bank when it has a high signal and not allowing it when it's low, but I don't recommend this.

The clock is always a compromise in design. Faster clocks are larger and less reliable, slower clocks are smaller and more reliable. In the design I made, I used the most reliable and fastest clock I could - I don't have any design faster that is anywhere near as reliable as it is. Anyways, a clock is required now due to jump-drives cool-down between pulses, it used to be that you could send ~2000 instant pulses to a jump-drive at 0 charge and it'd just jump for you, but now that doesn't work.

The bank of jump-drives exists because jump-drives charge inefficiently with logic compared to player charged jump-drives, and typically you don't want to use large jump-drives because they would defeat the purpose of making a logic jump-drive. My design takes a minute and a half to two minutes to charge initially.

Now, jump-drives have some interesting properties that you have to understand to be able to effectively make your own logic powered jump-drive.
    • Jump-drives can be charged simultaneously without interfering with each other.
    • Only one jump-drive will jump at once. Multiple jump-drives can be charged and receiving high pulses, but only one will discharge and jump.
    • Jump-drives do not respond to instant pulses. If they receive two simultaneous high pulses they will interpret it as one high pulse.

I hope this helps, I'm kind of just rambling at this point so I'll stop. Feel free to ask any questions.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So its what, a clock pulse (with how long of a delay?) to an activation block, activation block to the jump computer, and an inner ship remote to the jump drive computer, and thats it?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So its what, a clock pulse (with how long of a delay?) to an activation block, activation block to the jump computer, and an inner ship remote to the jump drive computer, and thats it?
    A standard delay-not clock would take 20 minutes to charge a one block jump-drive. Overclocking is a must with jump-drives. Other than that, yeah.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hmm, it would be interesting to have the clock charging the jump-drive light up a row of lights to display an estimate of how charged the jump-drive should be in a perfect situation. This would allow crew on-board the ship to know when jump-drives are charged without jumping inside the ship core.

Reaction score
    Any way to make a logic jump drive that will only charge, without jumping? This is coming from someone who has yet to get into logic or really mess with any of the complex functions in the game. From the sound of it, you give a charged jump drive a pulse and it will jump in the direction you're travelling or facing, whichever, meaning that an automatically charging jump drive won't be capable of only charging to readiness.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    With logic it will jump the second it is ready unless the ship that has the logic drive is docked to something.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    ...takes a minute and a half to two minutes to charge initially...
    • Jump-drives can be charged simultaneously without interfering with each other.
    • Only one jump-drive will jump at once. Multiple jump-drives can be charged and receiving high pulses, but only one will discharge and jump

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    If I remember right it takes about 20ish jump drives being charged and fired before you get continuous jumping. So my Hyperspace Jumper for example has 8 clusters of 20. :P Overkill I know but it is better than getting stranded in the middle of a sun. XD

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't quite understand the problem, care to explain?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    For smaller ships I'd need a small but fast clock of some kind for jumping automatically due to the nature of the pirates I'm working on. As for the clock you posted it works wonderfully for the bigger ones. :)

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    For smaller ships I'd need a small but fast clock of some kind for jumping automatically due to the nature of the pirates I'm working on. As for the clock you posted it works wonderfully for the bigger ones. :)
    So, I decided to try to make a smaller chaindrive. The size on this one is definitely a compromise.

It has an initial charge time of around five minutes, which is three minutes longer than the standard chaindrive. It only has four jumps, so it's incapable of constantly jumping. The control system is significantly more simple, and However, it's only 3x3x3, so it's 7x smaller than the standard one.

I wouldn't really recommend using this, but if the larger one is too big for a build, this isn't the worst possible alternative.

Small Chaindrive

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So, I decided to try to make a smaller chaindrive. The size on this one is definitely a compromise.

It has an initial charge time of around five minutes, which is three minutes longer than the standard chaindrive. It only has four jumps, so it's incapable of constantly jumping. The control system is significantly more simple, and However, it's only 3x3x3, so it's 7x smaller than the standard one.

I wouldn't really recommend using this, but if the larger one is too big for a build, this isn't the worst possible alternative.

Small Chaindrive
    Only 27 blocks?
    ... wow. Your insane. This is awesome.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can make a jump charger that activates when docked and deactivates when undocked. Its possible to get the same functionality when undocked but the ship will be unable to move.