Logic, crystal timers, and fixing bootstrapping.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    As no doubt many people who mess with logic have found out, getting a good clock running (or worse, a DOZEN of them) on spawn-from-catalog is a P.I.T.A.

The most basic timer is a [repeat] and a [not] cross-linked, then "booted up" with a press of R on one block. all fine and dandy that, unless you're looking to auto-generate NPC pirates that have "Cool blinking running lights" or a space-station that spawns with scenic horror-film lighting. (plug plug)

I propose CRYSTALS and INGOTS each naturally emit a logic pulse on a fixed timer (eg ice crytals every 0.5 sec, Zirc at 1.0, etc..) so that you can link them as origin into a logic system, much like the quartz crystal in your wristwatch.

If this gets implimented: I request a new crystal type "Tardanium crystal" with anti-light (darkening) properties and a 55.5 second timer be implemented with it, as a nod to both the "555 timer" circuit hobbyists like myself love and because I'm just vain enough to want some recognition. ;)

Reactions: Aizria
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    quartz crystal is a nice idea, but won't this make the server load much more heavier?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    no. They don't output any signal if it is not used by anything.

If you connect a logic block to it, you connect it to an imaginary clock inside this crystal which is created just once for any logic blocks connected.

I would like a possibility to sync clocks on multiple ships or de-sync them btw.

I like to have a natural clock, but shops should have one too.

Why not use a non-repeating delay as delay with different time and a repeating delay as clock if connected to a crystal?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You know, I like this suggestion. It would certainly be superbly useful! :3 I do think, though, that it would be good to use an existing logic block such as a repeating delay, like NeonSturm mentioned, as a timer if it has a crystal connected, rather than having crystals themselves work as timers. On a side-note, your '555' request thoroughly amuses me. :D

Last edited by a moderator: