Lock turret rotation to one local axis option. (instant cool turrets)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically it would let you creat turrets where the base rotates and then it raises and lowers its barrel with very minimal effort.

This sort of turret

If you could lock the rotation to 1 local axis, then you could easily make 2 part turrets simply by docking one part onto the base docked part,

Currently "multi-docking" isnt possible, but the popup message taht appears in game says we cant do it "yet" so...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m not quite seeing the point of this... why not just use the current method of turrets? Their turn speed isn\'t that slow, and they\'re reasonably accurate, as well as having a larger area they can actually hit... Perhaps I\'m not understanding what you\'re suggesting.

To me, it sounds like you\'re saying \"let\'s make a turret that can only turn on one axis, and is entirely reliant on the base rotating for the other axis (which, by the way, would have no practical use on space stations). This would mean that, unless the spaceship could be piloted with the sole purpose of getting the turret\'s firing cone to cross an enemy, the turret would be left unfiring most of the time.

I\'m not totally against the idea... I just see no point at the moment. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I came across this thread hoping for a solution to this. I am pretty sure what WolfGang is talking about are turrets like those on modern warships. The turret housing contains targeting computers/loading mechanisms and only rotates in the y-axis while guns rotate on the x-axis. A turret like this has the same firing arc as a turret which is solid but is easier to use because you dont have to worry about the pysical contraints and extra effort required to move both the housing and the gun as one piece.

By this definition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_turret what we have ingame right now are more like gun emplacements and not turrets.

Hope this feature gets added!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The current turrets are more like ball turrets, as they can rotate on more than one axis. This way has less overhead, though I agree it looks kind of wonky. IRL, moving barrel apart from the turret body makes loads of sense; in-game it\'s basically only for aestics until weapons can\'t hit as large an arc as they can see, and even then, it\'d primarily add frustration and complexity to an already not completely straightforward system.

Reaction score
    This idea came up already in a post http://star-made.org/content/turret-integration

this would solve turrets going through other blocks, also, ifyou would use pivot blocks, as suggested in the topic above, you could make the max size of the turret proportional to the radius of the pivot blocks, and turrets shouldn\'t have to be seperate ships

Reaction score
    How about rotating blocks?

It works like a dock, you wither connect to rotation blocks face to face, or a ship core docks to the rotation block, making it to where you can rotater the base, and the weapons independtly. This could also help with the implemetation of Wheels and ground vehicls. Plus you could have a computer that locks two or more different rotation blocks together so they rotate with eachother.

We want realism!!!

And on that note, how about we also get magnets, that way docking dosent creat floating ships so that i can make my ship able to be blown off into sections wthout having to have actuall different ships docked, this would make docking alot more user friendly and make linked docking implemented without the need for more code.

Both these ideas would make the game 10 times more realistic and add to the excitement of building a ship.

-H