Lock 'on point' missiles

Reaction score
    The biggest problem I have with lock-on missiles is that they always target the core. I'd like to see a system whereby you select a specific point for the missiles to land. Perhaps by pressing a key, a line is traced between your ship and whatever you're looking at. If the line hits a block then your missiles will lock on to that block.

An alternative, and perhaps more simple, system would be one whereby lock-on missiles (heat-seeking or otherwise) lock on to random blocks without player input. Damage is spread over the ship, but you don't get a free tunnel to the core.

Ultimately I'd like to see the targeting diamond encompass the entire ship, not just the core. This would pave the way for sensor modules that can detect specific modules and computers inside a ship, instead of everyone natively being able to directly target the core.

Reactions: ltmauve

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yes. Swarms would be so much better if they chose a random point to target rather than the core

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like your idea. I'd love to be able to lock onto an area I know to contain weapons computers and such and blow away that section. Ultimately though, the whole mechanic of the one block destroying the entire ship needs to change, but that's a subject for another thread. However, once that changes, targeting the core will no longer be effective, so a new system like what you're suggesting will be necessary rather than just a cool idea.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This would be great if you dont want to cause too much damage to a ship, and know where important things are like weapons computers and the faction module are, so that you can take out important systems and take the ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The system of cores is being phased out for the HP system in the future.

I think this change to lock on missiles would be great.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What exactly is the new HP system? What's currently known or confirmed?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What exactly is the new HP system? What's currently known or confirmed?
    Ships have HP based on the blocks they have, hull gives a lot more HP than system blocks. Blocks will presumably still be damageable once shield drops, otherwise a large number of weapons and systems would be kind of useless.

If a dev like schema or Calbiri could fill us in on how exactly the HP system is going to work, that would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I think it will be a great idea!
    This will allow us to paralyze certain parts of the ship
    for example if they add a thrust computer to control the thrusters destroying it will paralyze the ship's movement
    or the weapons computer to stop them from firing at you.
    Right now the easiest way to paralyze the ship and salvage most of it is overheating the core and entering it to take what's left.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    very interesting. i would add that instead of a point we can define the computers be targetable

this would make placement of systems key as each computer (hopefully in the future key system gets a computer like energy/thrust/shields)
    would be potentially a weak point if not placed correctly. owing to the ship design determining a great ship