Location-based resource rarity

Reaction score
    It'd be neat if resources (i.e ores) were a lot rarer in some systems/galaxies than others - could have one area of a galaxy rich in Parstun while the other's got a lot of Hital, etc.

Would help trade - you need large amounts of one resource, you'll have to either take a trip to get it or pay someone to bring them to you.

Could also be a use for the Scanner, too - see what the system's rare and common ores are.

Reactions: Mr. V

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    +1; this could have all sorts of neat repercussions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There could be a system with lots of the ores that shields are made of. It would give people something to fight over

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There could be a system with lots of the ores that shields are made of. It would give people something to fight over
    Redundant; suggested by the original post. Sertise and Rammet are both resources, therefore, there would be systems particularly rich in those. (But probably somewhat lacking in other things - say, Varat.)

...I feel, though, that in addition to this suggestion, the systems that are really worth fighting over ought to be those that contain MORE resources in general. Resource density variance should be a thing as well.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Excellent idea! :) This would bring a lot of more jobs on servers and some more reasons to explore. Areas with more common ores could end up as wars though.

Reaction score
    This seems to be a small portion of this suggestion http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-m...n-interactions-and-resource-acquisition.4613/ Though it definitely could be added without all of the features the mentioned thread suggested and would be appropriate as a separate thread. I agree that this would be an addition that would add diversity hence interest and potential competition. I agree to it being a good idea that should be added.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Before this is implemented there absolutely must be a way to scan for types of ores in a large area. Otherwise this will be the most irritating addition to the game ever made.

Reaction score
    Before this is implemented there absolutely must be a way to scan for types of ores in a large area. Otherwise this will be the most irritating addition to the game ever made.
    Seems like a good secondary use for the Scanner.

Maybe have the results stored on the map for all players, and give a reward for revealing it - gives a nice reason to explore.
    Or store the results on a local map, and you can sell your map updates to other players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    It would probably make sense if they based the types of resources likely to be found in a system by the type of star in that system. I'm a little rusty, but I seem to recall a chemistry lesson where they talked about elements and stars... knew I should have paid more attention in high school and college.

I also agree with Valiant70 - it would be very nice if we could use the scanners to check sectors and possibly even whole systems for resource types. It would also give players a reason to have scanners in single player.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Yes please, all I am imagining right now is settlers of catan :p

This would solve the issues of no use to faction systems control, all controlling different systems does is increase the amount you get from mining, as well as display of power. I think this would help close the gaps in the economy, seeing as currently the economy feels weak and directionless, mostly due to a near impossibility for players to gain monopoly over different resources.

Reaction score
    Yea I'd love to see this. It'd make exploration a lot more meaningful and important too.