Localized Fauna Spawn Dampening

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thanks, Bench for the insights.

Wow. In my absence, this thread certainly blew up a little! Some great ideas and inspirations throughout.

To the folks talking about the >pew pew< solution vs. a hypothetical bio-inhibitor block, I totally get that approach in terms of gameplay and within the context of a military ship flying missions.

To clarify where I'm coming from, voxel sandboxes such as this one and Minecraft really bring out my inner dungeon master. What I enjoy most is making environments for others to explore, experience, and inhabit.

Currently, I'm working on some experiments for a fully urbanized planet. I'm attempting to capture the classic bifurcated sci-fi society portrayed by a fully fleshed out upper and lower city. From a design perspective, the upper city should be safe and secure. But the lower city, especially in its depths, would be a great place to have the occasional critter appearing.

I guess what I'm asking for is some means of control when creating these environments that can create zones of danger and infestation versus zones of absolute security that over time repopulate themselves. I'd like to create designed worlds that feel alive and are fun to visit but don't require an admin coming through regularly to spawn spiders in the sewers.

On a side note, is there a means of exporting entire planets and importing them into servers? If not, is there a chance we could ever get this capacity? I would love to spend time creating a few very rich, one of a kind, hand-developed planets and then making them available to the community.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    On a side note, is there a means of exporting entire planets and importing them into servers? If not, is there a chance we could ever get this capacity? I would love to spend time creating a few very rich, one of a kind, hand-developed planets and then making them available to the community.
    So much 'YES'. I would love to download your worlds! Also, we won't have to wait for things like this.
    (some one find out if there is cat-like fauna we can worship)

Reaction score
    export_sector and import_sector from admin commands?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "Docking permission denied. It seems you have a rather large Tribble infestation on your ship. Recommend you depresurize your ship and blow those unholy things out the airlock before we can allow you to dock. Have a nice day." :)

Reaction score
    Could we have Tribbles? I can see them acting like gremlins and making systems not work properly. This could be fun. "OH Crap! Shields are down! YOU FORGOT TO SPRAY FOR TRIBBLES!"

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol this topic went from how to stop mobs from spawning in your ship to cooking up ways to get us killed or annoyed by them. XD

Here's a good one: Say you are flying near a planet minding your own and hear a warning about something being fired at you but it isn't pirates. You start looking through your nav but these little buggers don't show up on your nav. You go into build mode and see dozens of cocoon eggs attached to your hull and your turrets are going ballistic trying to kill them. If you don't have turrets and see these things you are otherwise screwed unless you can get in range of a place with some or another ship comes along to help.

What you've just ran into is a planet that is infested with the Griever Moth. It has 5 stages: cocoon egg, crawler, armored cocoon, moth, nest. The cocoon egg is easy to kill with a pistol and hatches into the crawler form and the cocoon itself once the hacking is done is destroyed so you don't have to worry about it spawning more later, that said it can spawn between 1 and 10 crawlers. The Crawler form is a big pain to deal with since it starts eating through your ship or station and getting bigger and longer the more blocks it eats. It'll take a few minutes before these crawlers become a bigger problem. They first go into the armored cocoon stage that is composed the materials the crawler ate and as hard to kill, it takes up several blocks of space. When this hatches it is now in the moth form that can be a big pain to kill it fires energy pulses to damage an area in front of it but also peppers the area with exploding mines. When two moths are near each other for an extended time they merge and turn into the nest form that unless killed fires cocoon eggs into the general area of it or onto neighboring entities if in range. The nest fires eggs like the dumb fire missiles but they have a curve to them so it's more like an artillery shell that arcs out from the launch area and tries to land in a new area, if nothing is at the targeted zone it just keeps going on like a missile until it either times out of hits something.

:)

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    lol this topic went from how to stop mobs from spawning in your ship to cooking up ways to get us killed or annoyed by them. XD

Here's a good one: Say you are flying near a planet minding your own and hear a warning about something being fired at you but it isn't pirates. You start looking through your nav but these little buggers don't show up on your nav. You go into build mode and see dozens of cocoon eggs attached to your hull and your turrets are going ballistic trying to kill them. If you don't have turrets and see these things you are otherwise screwed unless you can get in range of a place with some or another ship comes along to help.

What you've just ran into is a planet that is infested with the Griever Moth. It has 5 stages: cocoon egg, crawler, armored cocoon, moth, nest. The cocoon egg is easy to kill with a pistol and hatches into the crawler form and the cocoon itself once the hacking is done is destroyed so you don't have to worry about it spawning more later, that said it can spawn between 1 and 10 crawlers. The Crawler form is a big pain to deal with since it starts eating through your ship or station and getting bigger and longer the more blocks it eats. It'll take a few minutes before these crawlers become a bigger problem. They first go into the armored cocoon stage that is composed the materials the crawler ate and as hard to kill, it takes up several blocks of space. When this hatches it is now in the moth form that can be a big pain to kill it fires energy pulses to damage an area in front of it but also peppers the area with exploding mines. When two moths are near each other for an extended time they merge and turn into the nest form that unless killed fires cocoon eggs into the general area of it or onto neighboring entities if in range. The nest fires eggs like the dumb fire missiles but they have a curve to them so it's more like an artillery shell that arcs out from the launch area and tries to land in a new area, if nothing is at the targeted zone it just keeps going on like a missile until it either times out of hits something.

:)
    ZERG-MOTHRA RUSH!!!:D

I guess I'll have to bring more space marines...

Reaction score
    Thanks, Bench for the insights.

Wow. In my absence, this thread certainly blew up a little! Some great ideas and inspirations throughout.

To the folks talking about the >pew pew< solution vs. a hypothetical bio-inhibitor block, I totally get that approach in terms of gameplay and within the context of a military ship flying missions.

To clarify where I'm coming from, voxel sandboxes such as this one and Minecraft really bring out my inner dungeon master. What I enjoy most is making environments for others to explore, experience, and inhabit.

Currently, I'm working on some experiments for a fully urbanized planet. I'm attempting to capture the classic bifurcated sci-fi society portrayed by a fully fleshed out upper and lower city. From a design perspective, the upper city should be safe and secure. But the lower city, especially in its depths, would be a great place to have the occasional critter appearing.

I guess what I'm asking for is some means of control when creating these environments that can create zones of danger and infestation versus zones of absolute security that over time repopulate themselves. I'd like to create designed worlds that feel alive and are fun to visit but don't require an admin coming through regularly to spawn spiders in the sewers.

The hive worlds of the imperium of man?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Some people might use infected ships for sabotage. By purposely infecting a ship and pushing it to the desired target.
    "We are sending you this ship as a peace offering. We hope our conflict can finally end."

*hundreds of spiders pour into the station as soon as the airlock door opens*

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    "We are sending you this ship as a peace offering. We hope our conflict can finally end."

*hundreds of spiders pour into the station as soon as the airlock door opens*
    Flamethrower Anyone? :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Once the fauna update is released the shop keeper is going to make a lot of money from selling guns