List of outdated blocks to remove when modernizing blueprints

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeepspaceMechanic, May 21, 2018.

1. DeepspaceMechanic

I started a thread a while ago in which I missed a key point due to having no substantial experience in the survival gameplay area of StarMade (thread: Question: the ultimate fate of outdated blocks and blueprints?).

I learned that when players try to spawn / shipyard-produce a structure from a blueprint they borrowed from other builders, they simply can't if they fail to provide those block types required by the blueprint that are no longer obtainable in 0.200 game versions (either in shops or through crafting).

I originally wanted to ask which block types should be looked for by those who would like to refit a few of their CC resources to ascertain perfect compatibility. But then I started up the last 0.199 game version and went through the Creative Mode inventory myself.

So the list of block types made unobtainable in the Systems 2.0 / weapon update:

1. Power Reactor (Old type)
      2. Power Capacitor
      3. Power Auxiliary
      4. Scanner Computer
      5. Scanner Antenna
      6. Jump Inhibitor Computer
      7. Jump Inhibitor Module
      8. Cloaker
      9. Radar Jammer
      10. Jump Drive Computer
      11. Jump Drive Module
      12. Damage Pulse Computer
      13. Damage Pulse Module
      14-22. Every Effect type's computer (9 in total)
      23-31. Every Effect type's module (9 in total)

So 31 block types... Have a single unit of any in a blueprint, even if only as decoration, and you can't spawn the thing. This is especially sad when considering all the default assets that will need to be checked for all these blocks, including the player-made contest winner stations and fleets, and the Schine-produced NPC faction stations and fleets.

Sure sounds like a crapton of ungratifying work there. (Perhaps reintroduce everything on the list as decorative blocks, and write some magic code that auto-replaces their functional predecessors in the blueprints?)

As for those who would like to refit their own stuff:
      • The "Blocks" button in the Blueprint Catalog has a text search option (you only need to check seven search terms: Power, Scanner, Jump, Cloaker, Jammer, Pulse, Effect)
      • The "Highlight blocks in dropdown" button in Advanced Build Mode will show you exactly where are the blocks you want removed/replaced (unless they're in some docked entity).

PS: Up to this point, the post-0.200 releases and dev builds have retained the Drain/Supply support systems. Please never remove those, cuz they're pretty AF:
      DrainSupply.jpg
      --- Updated post (merge), May 21, 2018, Original Post Date: May 21, 2018 ---
      Also, I guess I should add that I had two attempts of asking a dev team member / requesting decorative replacements at kupukupu 's thread.

The two posts, no replies so far:

Kupu's thread
      Kupu's thread

#1 DeepspaceMechanic, May 21, 2018
      Last edited: May 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 6
    2. Nosajimiki

Also, not sure how, but some PlexLander blocks managed to get into a BP that is only a few months old, I think it was just BP corruption, but if we could perhaps have a way to spawn incomplete blueprints, that would help with this transitional period a LOT. I think the decorative idea is better for compatibility, but incomplete spawning would help with all sorts of other problems where BPs and perhaps be a simpler temporary fix.

• Like Like x 4
    3. DeepspaceMechanic

Absolutely agreed, the possibility to load structures from incompletely filled BPs sounds like an easy solution.

Right now there are weird stuff like when working on an old structure in a new game version (trying to refit it), and any unobtainable block removed simply vanishes from the structure and neither appears in your inventory, nor does it re-appear when you press "Undo". (Edit: Wrong, just in Creative Mode.) Structures could be loaded like that with the outdated stuff simply missing.

As for decorative replacements... The Replace Filter can be used perfectly well on outdated blocks (eg. mass-replacing decorative Jump Module blocks with the new Blue Cascades - even the different original orientations are retained). It would be wonderful if we would get decorative replacements for most of the stuff on the list above, perhaps placed on the very bottom of any inventory, with appropriate numbers (mass, cost, etc.) and names (include "decorative" or "legacy" to avoid confusing newcomers).

#3 DeepspaceMechanic, May 21, 2018
      Last edited: May 21, 2018
    4. Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW

Yesterday I was importing a friend's ship into dev build singleplayer and apparently the dev build has a bug where all set chambers are considered invalid block types. All I wanted was a big test target.
      It very much would help to be able to incompletely spawn BPs.

5. kupu

kupu Colouring in guy.

Ah i must of missed them, Sorry. I can't speak to mechanical changes that auto remove or replace, or blueprint issues.

However i can quickly list which blocks will be given a decorative replacement, or how they are being phased out below.
      Most, if not all of these will be deprecated. Meaning they can not be purchased from shops, found in creative inventory or crafted.

These will not get decorative replacement. The next update will stop it's animation. Old core mechanical power blocks will not be kept to avoid any confusion.
      2. Power Capacitor
      These will not get decorative replacement. The next update will stop it's animation. Old core mechanical power blocks will not be kept to avoid any confusion.
      3. Power Auxiliary
      4. Scanner Computer
      The screen will be greyed out to denote it being defunct, and set to deprecated.
      5. Scanner Antenna
      Yes. A decorative coil block will be added to keep an equivalent of this texture.
      The screen will be greyed out to denote it being defunct, and set to deprecated.
      7. Jump Inhibitor Module
      This texture is preserved as a "decorative cascade". 2 colours are currently present, red and blue. Green will also be added.
      8. Cloaker
      9. Radar Jammer
      10. Jump Drive Computer
      There are no plans to re-introduce the side panel containing the glowy "warp ball" yet.
      11. Jump Drive Module
      This texture is preserved as a "decorative cascade". 2 colours are currently present, red and blue. Green will also be added.
      13. Damage Pulse Module
      The same style texture will be used for the new Tractor beam, however with a colour change to green.
      14-22. Every Effect type's computer (9 in total)
      These screens will be greyed out to denote it being defunct, and set to deprecated.
      23-31. Every Effect type's module (9 in total)
      3 new types will get coloured versions corresponding to their type. Orange - Heat. Kinetic - Green. EM - Blue.
      The rest (old modules) will be greyed out to denote it being defunct, and set to deprecated.

Green cascades and green force fields are being added because most previous green "decorative" options were removed.

• Like Like x 3
    6. DeepspaceMechanic

No problem at all, thanks very much for stopping by and clarifying these things :)

I'm not sure if this is more of a Schema question, but beyond the fact that these blocks will be unobtainable in survival circumstances, will the game retain these blocks "behind the scenes" so that blueprints which contain them will still be spawn-able through the "Admin Load" command? Personally, I'm only concerned about the continued possibility to spawn and check out other's creations in singleplayer, even if they missed a few old blocks when modernizing the structure.

I'm guessing the reason you wrote that screens will be greyed out to indicate that they're defunct is that certain non-modernized structures (eg. the procedurally generated old default stations and fleets) MUST be able to appear in the universe. So if all those outdated blocks will still be there, it should be made clear to newcomers what they are/aren't anymore.

BTW, by "decorative replacements" I mostly meant new non-functional blocks introduced by Schema that use the exact same textures of your's that were recently removed. Where confusion of what they are can be mitigated, it sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable decision; it would only mean that the parts of the cherished legacy content that aren't necessary to be remove wouldn't get wasted.

And thank you for your continued work in StarMade, I think it's safe to say that we all love your texture work, I'm certainly a big fan of it, and can't wait for the new stuff you mentioned (y)

#6 DeepspaceMechanic, May 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
    7. Nosajimiki

I am actually of the opposite concern. Letting people spawn things in creative that they can not spawn in survival is a really big problem. When trying to convert things to power 2.0, I've probably wasted nearly 500k in resources so far over trying to fill BPs that can't be completed because I could admin load them in SP, but miss that one depreciated block type when trying to bring them up in SP. A policy for gracefully depreciating all old blocks into inert versions of themselves would go a long way, but in lue of that, there needs to be a way to either get blocks back out of incomplete BPs or spawn them incomplete.

• Like Like x 2
    8. DeepspaceMechanic

True. The option to remove and reuse blocks from blueprints sounds like it should be an easy fix, and definitely needed.

To preclude others having the same unfortunate problem you described, again, blueprints can be scanned for the old stuff - the "Blocks" button in the Blueprint Catalog has a text search option, and we only need to check seven search terms (Power, Scanner, Jump, Cloaker, Jammer, Pulse, Effect) to make sure that none of the 31 outdated block types listed in the OP are present.

#8 DeepspaceMechanic, May 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    9. DeepspaceMechanic

UPDATE:

Ok, so in the first proper release of the Weapons Update, the four Drain and Supply systems were removed as well. I didn't want to edit the original post, so here's an updated copy of the list and advise on how to refit stuff efficiently. Please tell if you discover the absence of other legacy blocks (as previous posts in this thread bear testimony, it can be a pain to work with blueprints and find out that they contain some of the deprecated old stuff).

So the list of block types made unobtainable in the Systems 2.1 / Weapons 3.0 updates:

2. Power Capacitor
      3. Power Auxiliary
      4. Scanner Computer
      5. Scanner Antenna
      7. Jump Inhibitor Module
      8. Cloaker
      9. Radar Jammer
      10. Jump Drive Computer
      11. Jump Drive Module
      13. Damage Pulse Module
      14-22. Every classic Effect type's computer (9 in total)
      23-31. Every classic Effect type's module (9 in total)
      32-33. Shield Drain Computer / Module
      34-35. Shield Supply Computer / Module
      36-37. Power Drain Computer / Module
      38-39. Power Supply Computer / Module

As for those who would like to refit stuff:
      • The "Blocks" window in the Blueprint Catalog has a text search option, which can be used to check if there's stuff to be removed from a structure even without spawning it (you only need to check nine search terms: Power, Scanner, Jump, Cloaker, Jammer, Pulse, Effect, Drain, Supply)
      • The "Highlight blocks in dropdown" button in Advanced Build Mode will show you exactly where are the blocks you want removed/replaced (unless they're in some docked entity).

#9 DeepspaceMechanic, Jul 14, 2018
      Last edited: May 13, 2019
      • Like Like x 1