Linking Servers in game with Server Gates

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Admins:
    1. Servers will be required to "link and listen" to other servers via Starmades server.config or through admin command:
    /update_serverLinks 20.304.70.3:2657 20.304.71.3:2657 ((this is were add to the list of servers allowed to link gates TO YOUR server))and so on

2. Same faction name must own each gate linking servers (or only admin placed gates that cannot break/be removed)
    links are made in a display block styled Servergate block where you enter the IP and Servergate block ID to the connecting gates server, in this way individual gates can be made between servers one way or two way...

Players:
    -Build gate 1 and write down gate 1 ID... Log on to server #2 and build gate 2 under same faction and enter gate 1 ID name and IP address now the link is connected. Use gate 2 and warp to gate 1 server... loading... you will spawn at gate 1 on server #1. Enter gate 2 ID and IP in gate 1 by pressing r on gate computer bi-way link is made. Done.[DOUBLEPOST=1416669503,1416669247][/DOUBLEPOST]*Note: ship inventory/player inventory and player credits will be synchronized between gate use and ship unload from one server and upload to the other allowing commerce and trade between servers, factions of servers and true server wars![DOUBLEPOST=1416669575][/DOUBLEPOST]player data must be sent with gate use..

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Suggested already(although not very succesful)
    The only problem I see would be how to handle merging the 2 inventories of a player, who has been playing on both servers before he used the link.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    #planned This was Confirmed in 2nd MF Q&A with Schema, I believe it was referrred to as "endgame" but of course it has been some time since it came up. I consider this #confirmed until we are told otherwise :D

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    List of issues.
    1. Two servers could have two players with the same generic name. This would cause conflicts.
    2. If either server has a whitelist these would need to be synced.
    3. Faction names are only a kind of sticker, most objects use faction ID to determine which faction they belong to. If that ID changes server the faction would be different, requires a faction system overhaul to allow cross server factions.
    4. the servers would need to have identical configs, else ships will work on one server and not the other.
    5. Both servers would need to have the same block data (none or the same added new blocks) or else you would probably encounter an error when a ship using a modded in block crosses over.

While 1# could be fixed by requiring that names be uplinked and making it so if one person uplinks a name they claim it on all servers using the system. Well its kind of restrictive.
    3. Seems like a huge roadblock, maybe require factions to be reformed on every server you link? Would suck but ok.

Idea needs a bit more polishing before its a usable suggestion o_O ..

Nice work anyway

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No thank you. It'd easily cause enough lag to crash a server when people try and send titans through.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    List of issues.
    1. Two servers could have two players with the same generic name. This would cause conflicts.
    2. If either server has a whitelist these would need to be synced.
    3. Faction names are only a kind of sticker, most objects use faction ID to determine which faction they belong to. If that ID changes server the faction would be different, requires a faction system overhaul to allow cross server factions.
    4. the servers would need to have identical configs, else ships will work on one server and not the other.
    5. Both servers would need to have the same block data (none or the same added new blocks) or else you would probably encounter an error when a ship using a modded in block crosses over.

While 1# could be fixed by requiring that names be uplinked and making it so if one person uplinks a name they claim it on all servers using the system. Well its kind of restrictive.
    3. Seems like a huge roadblock, maybe require factions to be reformed on every server you link? Would suck but ok.

Idea needs a bit more polishing before its a usable suggestion o_O ..

Nice work anyway
    1. Easy fix Uplink
    2. Easy fix Sync
    3. Easy fix... faction list database.... IE ((faction 1001 server ip x.xx.xxx.x = faction ID 20304)
    4. Easy fix... Block cofigs change per server so your home server you may have better shielding the next you may have better weapon power...
    custom blocks will be shared between servers configs wont... client downloads new config upon entering new server just like now.
    5. again fixed with #4[DOUBLEPOST=1416675066,1416674821][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No thank you. It'd easily cause enough lag to crash a server when people try and send titans through.
    Titans and ships in general with have BP saved and imported onto the new sever upon entering the gate and done OUTSIDE of the regular BP system allowing faster upload download times and little to no server network impact.[DOUBLEPOST=1416675528][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Suggested already(although not very succesful)
    The only problem I see would be how to handle merging the 2 inventories of a player, who has been playing on both servers before he used the link.
    The players credits will be merged until servermax is reached, the inventory can be dropped into storage on the ship and all storage for all entities using the gate will be save onto a file transferred and re-injected when loaded.

Reactions: aceface

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    1. Easy fix Uplink
    2. Easy fix Sync
    3. Easy fix... faction list database.... IE ((faction 1001 server ip x.xx.xxx.x = faction ID 20304)
    4. Easy fix... Block cofigs change per server so your home server you may have better shielding the next you may have better weapon power...
    custom blocks will be shared between servers configs wont... client downloads new config upon entering new server just like now.
    Titans and ships in general with have BP saved and imported onto the new sever upon entering the gate and done OUTSIDE of the regular BP system allowing faster upload download times and little to no server network impact.[DOUBLEPOST=1416675528][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The players credits will be merged until servermax is reached, the inventory can be dropped into storage on the ship and all storage for all entities using the gate will be save onto a file transferred and re-injected when loaded.
    I'm not talking about the lag from uploading a BP. I'm talking about the lag from spawning a ship in.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I don't count credits as part of the enventory since it's just a number.
    So I'll have to drop everything into a storage before warping?

Reactions: ghettodexter
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't count credits as part of the enventory since it's just a number.
    So I'll have to drop everything into a storage before warping?
    Only when going through server gates... this way you can keep both inventories without it trying to stack/sort and you run out of space and loose stuff.[DOUBLEPOST=1416676899,1416676238][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm not talking about the lag from uploading a BP. I'm talking about the lag from spawning a ship in.
    If a large ship causes lag on a server when spawning then i'm sure it is outside of that servers rules/limits and server owners should know the rules of other servers before adding them to the server link whitelist, this would remove that issue if it is one... to further prevent exploitation admins can also limit amount of server gates allowed on the server in total, and faction. Therefor you wont have a mass amount of titans dropping onto the server at once.

This would also mean only the strongest of factions will be able to own and protect the few gates allowed on the server (maybe 1-2 per galaxy) meaning you either have to ban-together with that faction or takeover/destroy their gate and erect your own. but beware the entire server wants to use or destroy your gate!

Admin gates cannot be harmed in any way can could possibly take credits with the /give_credits playername -5000000 adding a fee to leave the server.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Only when going through server gates... this way you can keep both inventories without it trying to stack/sort and you run out of space and loose stuff.
    I was talking about only that, and, well, here is my idea: neither the player's inventories, nor the credits are synched(because that might cause infinite money wells), however contents of storages are transmitted, as there is nothing to be synchronized.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Lets first get optimization and stuff in ;)

Minecraft servers can hold 1000's we can only support at max 60 or so

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Lets first get optimization and stuff in ;)

Minecraft servers can hold 1000's we can only support at max 60 or so
    I have looked at these servers. Never seen a Dedicated box go over 200. Alll the 1000 level servers are actually instanced clusters and they are not in one level at once without some serious jiggery pokery server side. (a non-standard setup for extreme servers basically)[DOUBLEPOST=1416682073,1416681876][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I was talking about only that, and, well, here is my idea: neither the player's inventories, nor the credits are synched(because that might cause infinite money wells), however contents of storages are transmitted, as there is nothing to be synchronized.
    I agree that allowing it can cause an economy problem.

Esay way to sort that is to ensure that the player who is gating to the other server has an account there, if not his limit if the starter credits for that server. You can't just spawn in without paying for the blocks first, else it break the economy fast.

So that means the destination server would make you buy the ship again on Jump. A Dimension Transfer Tax if you will.
    If you have not got the money to do that, it would fail and you simply arrive in a Core.

^ this also stops the "what if a titan spawns through the gate" because the player would legitimately have to have the credits on the target server first. That's no easy feat so this would further reward players for activity.[DOUBLEPOST=1416682361][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I have looked at these servers. Never seen a Dedicated box go over 200. Alll the 1000 level servers are actually instanced clusters and they are not in one level at once without some serious jiggery pokery server side. (a non-standard setup for extreme servers basically)[DOUBLEPOST=1416682073,1416681876][/DOUBLEPOST]

Esay way to sort that is to ensure that the player who is gating to the other server has an account there, if not his limit if the starter credits for that server. You can't just spawn in without paying for the blocks first, else it break the economy fast.

So that means the destination server would make you buy the ship again on Jump. A Dimension Transfer Tax if you will.
    If you have not got the money to do that, it would fail and you simply arrive in a Core.

^ this also stops the "what if a titan spawns through the gate" because the player would legitimately have to have the credits on the target server first. That's no easy feat so this would further reward players for activity.

What I think you guys missed is that taking ANY blocks or credits into another server is severely Economy Breaking.
    You can't Merge stuff that doesn't exist. If I bring a ship made up entirely of Expensive blocks I can empty that servers shops out in no time and go back to my original universe and break that economy with my money (that does not exist) It is the same problem with couterfeit money in the real world. It devalues the whole economy, leaving it broken, besides other incidental damages.

This needs a separate Wallet for each server and separate Inventories to go with it.
    Then no economy breaks. Nothing to stop you visiting a server before bringing your ship and paying for it with credits earned there.

THEN make the jump. Once its all set you can then travewl between without issues in that regard.
    It is a tricky balance to strike.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    1. Easy fix Uplink
    2. Easy fix Sync
    tis cute you think all this is easy without having any knowledge about the way the game is made

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store

^ this also stops the "what if a titan spawns through the gate" because the player would legitimately have to have the credits on the target server first. That's no easy feat so this would further reward players for activity.[DOUBLEPOST=1416682361][/DOUBLEPOST]

What I think you guys missed is that taking ANY blocks or credits into another server is severely Economy Breaking.
    You can't Merge stuff that doesn't exist. If I bring a ship made up entirely of Expensive blocks I can empty that servers shops out in no time and go back to my original universe and break that economy with my money (that does not exist) It is the same problem with couterfeit money in the real world. It devalues the whole economy, leaving it broken, besides other incidental damages.

This needs a separate Wallet for each server and separate Inventories to go with it.
    Then no economy breaks. Nothing to stop you visiting a server before bringing your ship and paying for it with credits earned there.

THEN make the jump. Once its all set you can then travewl between without issues in that regard.
    I disagree. If both servers have the exact same economy(same predefined prices for everything), then the economy cannot be broken by this since it is impossible to have an infinite moneywell/-drain. Ensuring that requires a very close cooperation between the server's staff, but is not hard to achieve.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Tom, would such a system possibly allow for players to manually import their old ships from the old build to the new one after a reset? That might help smooth out the frequent bumps we have with server resets.

I can see some problems with backwards-compatibility, but i'm sure it COULD be done if the whole *update* process could be streamlined and optimized.

--Ender

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Mega agreed, Tom I see the point though may be other ways around than buying the blocks, therimmer96 you have no idea of what I know... I may not have coded Starmade and the bluntness of my response may seem lacking in my knowledge of, it's to assert the lack of further explanation without getting into the technical aspects of script/coding & exactly how this would be done and to expedite an understanding of my idea... but in the end you have no idea what I know...

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I may not have coded Starmade and the bluntness of my response may seem lacking in my knowledge of, it's to assert the lack of further explanation without getting into the technical aspects of script/coding & exactly how this would be done and to expedite an understanding of my idea... but in the end you have no idea what I know...
    Back when my knowledge of programming and SM were unknown, I just put the technicalities into spoiler tags. That way the uninterested could easily skip it, and the interested would have an interesting read.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    This was actually one of Notch's concepts for nether portals in Minecraft at one point. It was abandoned for the same reasons its probably going to be abandoned here. If it does get added it should only exist on completely vanilla servers for obvious reasons.