Rejected Limit number of blocks per ship to 500k, including the turrets.

Reaction score
    Why ? For performance reasons. I know there is other old suggestions about it, but I think it really need attention now.
    By My experience playing online, I have a felling that its not the current combat mechanic ( damage done by blocks insted hp ), or the number of players, that lags the servers, its the size of the ships.
    If there is 200 players in the same server with small ships, it will be easier to the server to handle it then 2 players with 3m blocks ships each.
    Any ships with more then 3m will lag alone all the cluster, in battle, two of this will crash any server.
    In fact, almost all servers have limits for the number of blocks for ships to 1m, but since its not blocked by the game and its hard to control, there is always someone with a big ship or building it.
    It could be disabled by server configuration for those who want to play lagging servers ( but not recommended ).
    Its easy to do on the game code and would fix a lot of issues.
    Also, it would make easy to make balance between the ship x sizes, since you know the max size of an ship, you can guess the firepower of it.
    And it could encourage artists to build smaller ships, for this, some blocks could have a lesser count, like, 2xdecorations blocks count for 1 on the ship size or even 0.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Performance aside it sounds like it would just limit creativity by placing a hard limit on block count. Besides when was the last time you saw a ship over a million blocks on a server anyway? Aside from troll's building doombricks no one really has the resources to field multiple of them anyway.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No. That is the job of server owners and admins. There may be a config value for that to be on but by default no. I am able to run 4 million block ships on redshift just fine thank you. If you want a 500K block limit join GenXnova Those admins get sh*t done

Reaction score
    Performance aside it sounds like it would just limit creativity by placing a hard limit on block count. Besides when was the last time you saw a ship over a million blocks on a server anyway? Aside from troll's building doombricks no one really has the resources to field multiple of them anyway.
    I see everyday ships this size, yesterday was one with 3m blocks, just get a very bad lag a few minutes before ships appears... About resources, I have resources my self to build such ship in 3 different servers, even in single player with no admin rights and playing with no special bonus I was able to gather resources for it in 1 week. If you cant gather enough resources yourself, you just need a better mining ship, my ship can mine resources for 100000 blocks per mining hour.
    I could build such ship easily but I dont think I will enjoy it, I personally dont like to build a ship that I cant use.
    Also, its my opinion, but I think 500k blocks will still allow a lot of creativity...
    And for those that just want to build big ships but dont want to play with it, there should be the option to turn this limit off for single player or specialized multiplayer servers, just dont count with me to be on those servers, and I dont think it will be popular ...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432473186,1432473143][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No. That is the job of server owners and admins. There may be a config value for that to be on but by default no. I am able to run 4 million block ships on redshift just fine thank you. If you want a 500K block limit join GenXnova Those admins get sh*t done
    It could be off by default... I my self will not play on servers with no limits thought...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432473248][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think it should be an option for servers.
    The idea is to be an option for servers yes.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Props for actually replying to everyone. It would be good as an option for servers but personally I would have it be off by default rather than on by default.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As far as I know, the game is already able to restrict mass (It's bundled in with the Battle Mode ruleset/configs), so it shouldn't be hard to apply the same function to default.

But there are better ways to curve ship size, which includes modifying configs to make them less than viable, but that is a server's decision to make.

Reaction score
    As far as I know, the game is already able to restrict mass (It's bundled in with the Battle Mode ruleset/configs), so it shouldn't be hard to apply the same function to default.

But there are better ways to curve ship size, which includes modifying configs to make them less than viable, but that is a server's decision to make.
    That is new to me. Today, on multiplayer servers when they have this type of rule, its is not automatic, it means that anyone can build biguer ships but if the admin see it he will destroy this ship with no reimburse.
    So, if there is an option, why I never see this on any server ?
    The sugestion is to make it automatic so the admin dont need to care about it, like ban peaple that are building biguer ships then the server rule.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So, if there is an option, why I never see this on any server ?
    The sugestion is to make it automatic so the admin dont need to care about it, like ban peaple that are building biguer ships then the server rule.
    Like I said, it's Bundled in with battle mode rules, meaning it will only apply to a battle mode set universe (It's a gamemode that Schema added a while ago, doesn't get much use or acknowledgement). I only mentioned it to bring up the fact that it supposedly has been done before, and could be easily adapted to be a normal server rule (I think).

Reaction score
    Controllable Block limit setting will be able to server owner soon™
    It is planned, go dig into dev Q&As for more information

But 500k? sounds like it is your computer problem
    like Jaaskinal said, my turrets are also larger than 500k already, are you kidding me? 500k??????

Reaction score
    Lol I have turrets five times that size

am i misunderstanding you or do you actually have turret(s) that are 2,500,000 blocks a piece? I'm not even going to ask how large the actual ship is

Reaction score
    Controllable Block limit setting will be able to server owner soon™
    It is planned, go dig into dev Q&As for more information

But 500k? sounds like it is your computer problem
    like Jaaskinal said, my turrets are also larger than 500k already, are you kidding me? 500k??????

Its server problem, or course, the admin should decide the limits, in most servers I played the limit is 1m, but I still think its too high yet, 1m block already cause lags on the server.
    Nice to know its planned ! I dont think this game will works if there is no limit for this.

Reaction score
    Interesting. I thought this was already implemented. Thanks Cyber for clearing that up.
    I'm all for it; as a per server config setting.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    am i misunderstanding you or do you actually have turret(s) that are 2,500,000 blocks a piece? I'm not even going to ask how large the actual ship is
    Yes. I also have a 775M mass ship. I make big things.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Its server problem, or course, the admin should decide the limits, in most servers I played the limit is 1m, but I still think its too high yet, 1m block already cause lags on the server.
    Nice to know its planned ! I dont think this game will works if there is no limit for this.
    No, it's a client problem. Or a server that has no business even running on the machine it's on. Servers can handle tens or hundreds of millions of blocks just fine, it is the graphical rendering or (possibly) the connection that lags.

That being said, I am all for this as an option just to make server max mass rules self-enforcing.

Reaction score
    Well , I am talking about the experience I had playing online, like, we know when a player with 5m block ship is online and using the ship when it starts to lag, even if we are not in the same system, and sometimes, not often, the server crashes...
    I know my machine can process this kind of ships when I am playing single, because I liked to download big ships to look at, so it may be a server cpu lack, but its not an client problem. I sorry, but if all players just start to build biguer ships there will be no server on line for playing. Admins already figure out this, and that is because almost all servers have admin limits of 1m.