Lights. Lights. Pink lights, rimless lights.. so on and so forth

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the currenty variety of lights is far too limited. It saddens me that my exterior and interior decoration is so limited in colour and variety.

I'd realy like to see

- pink lights
    - orange lights
    - purple lights
    - cyan lights

(an RGB system would be pretty cool too)

And then in these fine flavours too...

- Rimmed (what we have currently)
    - Pure . What we had previously. No rims, just one bright block of one colour.
    - Fuzzy. This would look rather like lava does at the moment, only in different colours
    - Translucent. Partialy see through, Would look fantastic with some ship designs.
    - Organic- Like translucent, but looking like it's covered in a membrane.
    - Liquid- with bubbles!!!
    Liquid in glass- STILL MORE BUBBLES

let's not forget shapes
    - wedge, corner
    - sprite- Kind of like the plants in the game

Also- You know what would be realy cool? If power cores could take on the apearance of a light block. If engine thrust gave off light of the player's choosing. (weapons too)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with 99% of this post, I\'m not sure the power cores should look like lights tho.

also, if the light block could emit MORE light, that would be sweet! it\'s too damn dark even when you place them 2 apart!

Reaction score
    I think the ship core is intended more as a computing core, and less like a power core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think he meant the generators, and i guess he means like those flashy cores in star trek (tho you could build one with a core of generators surrounded by lights...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    what you said about engine light was an idea i had too, i think it would be awesome if we would be able to customize the colours. (and perhaps more(like preset beams or something)) of weapons,shields and angines.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Good suggestion, but who is good in making custom blocks?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    +1. I support this.

My ships follow a red-and-black theme, but the red lights are... not that great. I use ice crystals because they don\'t have rims, and they glow. If we had rimless lights... well, alot of shipbuilders would benefit, methinks.

Reaction score
    has wedge and corner lights. Strange how they weren\'t copied into the official version yet.

On a related note, inventories could be so much more tidy if we only had one set of colorless hulls and lights, and were able to set their color when building, or repaint them later. Heck, maybe with sliders, to allow custom colors.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes please. They\'d allow us to have so many fancy engine colours.

Reaction score
    I want projecting lights. Like headlights. It seems odd that we can get such darkness, yet there\'s no way to project light from a ship.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Darker, but with a line of sight lightpath.

With a selectable RGB system, accessible from the ship, and can be linked to a control panel, which controls the color, and can turn them on and off.

Able to do everything else listed in this thread so far.

Reaction score
    Personally, I\'d love to see strobe lights. I\'ve always loved spaceships having them, from Star Trek to Homeworld. Solid navigational lights are cool, but blinkers really spice up a ship imo. It would be extra-nice to be able to have varied frequencies for them, or at least a way to have them flash in alternating sequences, rather than all of them in sync.

Reaction score
    They already had the colorless blocks and repainting stuff, and in the current update they\'ve also added the color sliders.

Can you feel it? THEY can keep a clean inventory, and have ships of ANY color.

WE are limited to a handful of presets, and have to keep five shapes of each color we want to use.

Reaction score
    +1 RGB system for lights in structure menu (combined with hot-keying of light-groups (they behave like plexdoors (adjacent block activation + autogrouping))) AND (omg) an additional small drop down menu for preselected strobe frequencies (0=constant) or a slider AND an additional drop down menu for patterns (double in 2x1/8 with 3/4 pause or triplet in 3x 1/4 with 1/4 pause for example^^)

you could even control multiple single colored lights (left/right position lights) if one would be possible to assing multiple groups (multiple single block groups in this case) to a hotkey (not in the hotbar, an extra in the options menu definable function key?)

+1 Rimless lights

Maybe put a texture-free, generated rim on it, if single placed. If adjacend, no rim.

+1 Painting armor blocks (RGB slider bar and possibly more sliders for transparency?)

but -1 because of ultimate rise in memory consumption, maybe some ingenious coder will manage this one day without making your computer do a event-horizon-mode-poof-effect.

There are similar threads, we need to combine/interlink/summarize them. Soon. Any volunteers, that are good in browsing a complete forum, comprehend everything and summarize it, may be called hero^^

Then make an ultimate sticky suggestion summary thread with links to all subsuggestions and co-ideas...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hive mind :)

It would be a lot easier if there were not 130 pages of posts and all peoples would help - everybody takes one category.

But we should clean up some doubles (which are link-post-linked to others) or already implemented things first.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    As said IN THE Q&A adding an RBG selector would make the blocks take up 12bits of ram/hard drive space as opposed to the current 3bits.

Reaction score
    Comparing Space Engineers to Starmade is like comparing Supreme Commander to Company of Heroes.

Sure they\'re both in the same basic genre, but they\'re so very, very different. SE is incredibly limited and small scale. SM is on a much larger scale. SE has an experienced development team and a lot of money behind it. SM is mostly done by one person.

Whining about how \"Space Engineers already has X\" is stupid. I\'m sure Starmade will become more streamlined in the future, but for now the development is still in the very early stages.

Reaction score
    I\'m making a starwars inspired mod. planning on adding alot of things. Rimless lights being one of those things. There are people who don\'t like the star wars style though...

http://azuriteart.blogspot.com/