Lighting Tweaks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This may end up being a complicated request depending on the way lighting works in the game, but lights are very weak right now. It would help with construction inside a ship a lot if light worked more naturally, with soft reflections on opaque surfaces. Right now light doesn't seem to travel anywhere the source doesn't have a direct path to, and that makes it very difficult even to place lights for temporary construction purposes, not to mention large rooms. Personally, I think some upgrades to the lighting engine should be a higher priority than some of the newer systems.

Also, a temporary fix could be to make the power blocks generate a little bit of light on their own. I was having a hard time seeing where I was building inside of my reactor, where I didn't have space to place a lot of light sources. If the power blocks gave off a slight blue glow, that would make it easier to see when building reactors or working in tight spaces.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    thumbs up for blue reactor glow, that would make reactors look badass.

Also i agree on the point of lights not being powerful enough. Starmade seems so dark and black without lights every 3 blocks. hahaha

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Except for the bugs with light shining through solid blocks, and with plexglass just being weird I think the lighting outside of build mode is nice. The different colored lights are great, but we do need a flood light block. Not a blind you block like the beacon, just even lighting over a wide area. I like having some darkness though I would like an overall brightness slider other than messing with my monitor and all my other game\'s settings.

However whenever I try to build anything enclosedI have to constantly spam and remove light blocks which gets old fast. If there was ambient lighting in build mode, so that every block had even lighting and was completely visible, I would be very happy.

Other than that I just wish I had made my home base in a void sector, the star in this sector is blinding me (as it should, but it\'s still annoying when building).

Wide area lighting would be nice. In a mod for Minecraft called \"Factorization\" there is an item called a wrathlamp that does exactly what we need in Starmade. It lights up large areas with a single block. It does this by creating several invisible light blocks nearby. http://ftbwiki.org/Wrathlamp

Reaction score
    I would like to see the idea where you could have the option to have the lights on / off or flash every X seconds for example. Could make some of the interiors interesting (think red \'alert\' or Star Trek Warp Cores).

Or, in line with the above a light block that flashes when ever your ship is being shot at. Should you be elsewhere in build mode etc.