Suggested Light bars

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello !

I would like to suggest a few things about one of the new block we've seen appear in the game lately. The light bar.

It has been talked about somewhere on the forums but i found no topic dedicated to it.

Here it is.

This light bar can orientate every ways. For all those orientations many are double, i mean one way or the other they are the same.

So instead of having twice the same orientation could it be possible to have the possibility to dim the light say once, twice or trice and have also the possibility to turn it off or on by logic.

As it is this light is very bright and i find it diffucult to use it in my builds without messing up the atmosphere i try to create. lighting does a lot to render a certain feel for a room, corridor, planet side base etc.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Because of the many different orientations that light bars have, it will take extra time for them to be toggleable. They were released mostly to help test the new LOD system.

Being too bright is possibly a problem with your lighting settings in game, as I've found them very usable.

And no we probably won't be getting dimming.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Wanted to throw this idea out there; Light bars are pretty-much mirrored on one axis, so why not remove half of the rotations and use those IDs for the turned-off states?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Wanted to throw this idea out there; Light bars are pretty-much mirrored on one axis, so why not remove half of the rotations and use those IDs for the turned-off states?
    That is a bit what i'm suggesting.
    And i maintain that diming would be a excellent opportunity for designer.

Reaction score
    The light bars being "too bright" is a load of crap. They put out the exact same light level as a standard light-block.
    The only way for them to be "too bright" is if you're using the good lighting settings, on an all white ship, and are spamming the damn things.
    Or if you're trying to make a "blackout" ship/station. (
    any lighting at all is bad for those)

They do, however, have twice as many rotations as they actually need.
    The model for them is up/down and left/right symmetrical. So, as Kiddan said, they're doubling many of the rotations.

On the other claw, isn't the game coded such that you only have 3 options? those being 0*, 6^, and 24` rotations.
    * The Core, Shield Capacitor & Re-charger, Power Capacitor & Storage, and all the Terrain blocks all use 0 rotations, along with all the full-cube hull, armor and ADV armor blocks. (some of the terrain should be using 6 or 24, these being the "top" blocks. I want grass on my ceiling damn you!)
    ^ Thrusters, Light-rods, most of the decorative blocks, all the capsules, and all the weapon & support/effect blocks use 6 rotations. (most of the decoratives actually need 24 rotations, but that should get it's own topic at some point) (the Light-rod only needs 3 rotations)
    ` Wedges, Heptas, Tetras, Corners, Slabbed blocks, Pipes, Consoles, and the fucking Light-bar currently use 24 rotations. (of these, the light rod is the only one that doesn't need all 24, it only needs half that)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well i for one believe that to its relative size and general intent of use the light bar is way too bright compared to other lights.
    Hence my suggestion to use the extra rotation to the effect of being able to choose the brightness level of the light. pressing R several time 'till you get the light level desired.

Further more since that many rotation not being needed (as far as i know) its only to our benefice to have extra with the lights possibilities.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is because all LOD-objects curently need to have the same ammount of rotations (24) due to the implementation. I know this since I asked on a stream. The number 24 is based on the needed rotations for the console.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    This is because all LOD-objects curently need to have the same ammount of rotations (24) due to the implementation. I know this since I asked on a stream. The number 24 is based on the needed rotations for the console.
    Ah thanks for the quote, this is where i got my inspiration, that little "click" for my suggestion.

Reaction score
    on the subject of light bars i have noticed there "hit box" is bigger than it should be and you cant get past it in narrow spaces...

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    on the subject of light bars i have noticed there "hit box" is bigger than it should be and you cant get past it in narrow spaces...
    Like you can't get through a gap like this?
    | |
    There's a 1 block space in between?
    What could be done is change the collision box to one of the armor collision boxes (wedge/slab/something else) It would be more accurate than the current full block collision though still not quite. (just suggesting)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Like you can't get through a gap like this?
    | |
    There's a 1 block space in between?
    What could be done is change the collision box to one of the armor collision boxes (wedge/slab/something else) It would be more accurate than the current full block collision though still not quite. (just suggesting)
    Yea, a 1/4-slab collider would be way nicer than the current full-block collider.

Reactions: Atas-Pelangi