Life support

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here's an idea, how about you having to build life support a la gm_spacebuild? It would make combat a lot more interesting

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve thought about life support a good bit. There would have to be blocks you can place in your ship for it. Like a gas tank, suit dispenser, resource cache.. ect. Would be cool if you could tether yourself to a block and go out of your ship and mine asteroids/harvest wreckage. Although this is definitely something I would want to see happen, I don\'t think it would be important to the game to have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea. I had boatloads of fun on Spacebuild, now with this, which is basically spacebuild on steroids, I would be very happy with this being added. Some ways it could work would be, basic core has it\'s own built in life support that will cover you for a while (considering that some peoples ships don\'t have full interiors), and then you could add tanks for oxygen in other parts of the ship. Maybe air disperal units, which would vent air in from a central spot into each room. It could be like FTL (the indie game) almost, where if you want to lock off a hull breach, you could close the airlock/plexdoors to prevent further atmosphere loss. I think it adds a lot more tactic to ship building as well, having to strategically construct the ship around survival vs straight up combat.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'m not sure how many resources should go into always checking to see if a ship is sealed from space, and I\'m not sure how much requiring life support will actually encourage interior design. Flying shoebox full of weapons will always be the easiest and most PVP friendly design then if you make it more complicated to make ship interiors more people might just opt out and make a single box with life support.

Reaction score
    but it sounds like something that will cause quite some stress on the server.. It would have to calculate and see if every block does make a room or not, and how much air that room would have. Game-play wise, this would be a great feature; make you want to build air tight ships. Also the air-support would become another critical system for a ship, allowing for new tactics indeed! :).

Btw, about FTL, in that game there is a room for door-control as well, it would be nice to have that as well; a console from which you can control and/or lock the plex-doors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    they are some great ideas but if you were to have artifical air then you would need to have a barrier that could be added to cargo bay doors etc. which would have alike a blue paper thin barrier that would act exactly the same a splex doors[ in this instance] which would allow you t move through them wihtout them closing down