life support systems

should life suport be added to starmade

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i just think it would be cool if you had CO2 and O2 balance you have to reach inside your ship that might limit the amount of people who can be on a ship. it would also have you have to return to the ship once in a wile to get air and it would promote the creation of ship yards where you can breath and build with no problem. the rate of oxygen consumption could be changed through difficulty settings and would encourage planetary starts to the game. in my opinion this is a much needed feature to the game and you could even make new player equipment like O2 scrubbers to improve away time

Reactions: Cybertooth
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think they are planning on making it so you cannot survive in your suit indefinitely but stated atmospheres on a ship is a nigh impossibility because there is no way for the engine to know what should and should not be considered "inside" and the processing power required to do so would cripple the game.

Reactions: Syzygy

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What if players could just select parts of their ship to be "atmosphere"? Then, if the atmosphere has any completely empty blocks next to it ("space" blocks), the atmosphere block and all atmosphere blocks touching it become inactive, and players without helmets will start to take damage. If the area is closed off, the atmosphere blocks all return to an active state, and astronauts without helmets can breath once again.

Oxygen should not refill while the helmet is on, even if you are in oxygenated area. Suit oxygen should also take time to refill. This would prevent people from just leaving the helmet on all the time to avoid taking any damage from deoxygenated areas.

I don't really think oxygen should be a limited resource on ships, that might be a little annoying. It should be limited for astronauts, though.

Reactions: montecristo
    Reaction score
    I think they are planning on making it so you cannot survive in your suit indefinitely but stated atmospheres on a ship is a nigh impossibility because there is no way for the engine to know what should and should not be considered "inside" and the processing power required to do so would cripple the game.
    Why not take a look at what was done for the minecraft mod Glaticraft, it's exactly what we need and from what I've seen it's not a crippler

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I did not mean actual atmosphere blocks I meant the ventilation blocks have an area of effect and depending on how many players are in that area decides how many O2 scrubbers to counter them. They don't actually have to be blocks O2 blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I did not mean actual atmosphere blocks I meant the ventilation blocks have an area of effect and depending on how many players are in that area decides how many O2 scrubbers to counter them. They don't actually have to be blocks O2 blocks.

Reaction score
    I had a idea to solve this(still in its infancy mind you). A placeable block idea(I am not creative)! A block that simply asks the question, am I touching a wall(or door) or another atmosphere block on all sides, if no then delete myself. They would only be placeable in build mode, and only with a ship with a O2 generator, and only up to the generator's capacity. They would cost nothing, and you could place them until you reached the limit of your O2 generator.

If a block doesn't meet the requirements stated above when you exit build mode or take damage to your shield, then all the O2 blocks that don't meet the above requirements are destroyed.(A 'fill this room with O2 blocks' tool would be lovely if this ever got implemented.) The blocks would probably be totally(or near enough that its not distracting) invisible outside of build mode. You could walk threw them without problem, and they probably should provide another benefit(Like fast healing or move speed buff or something, like I said I'm still working on the idea.).

As far as air outside of ships(planets/people) I have no bloody idea! Personally I think some air having planets should have a field of 'everything beyond this point has air, no need to place a block'. But that is just me.

This is just a rough Idea, and yet again its still really young and I am still working on the kinks to it.

Side thought.

Make 2 types of atmosphere blocks. 1 is like the above, but has no air(slowly kills those without helmets or something). The other(lets call them air blocks) needs to be touching an air vent(or CO2 scrubber or something or other) and turns all the above atmosphere blocks into air blocks. if the air vent is powered down it turns all blocks touching it into regular atmosphere blocks, causing a chain reaction turning all other blocks in the room into regular atmosphere.(probably the weakest part of the idea right here, still working on it.)

What dos this mean? No working air vent and the atmosphere in the room is poison. You can turn off the vents to a room to make it unlivable without destroying all the air blocks. See traps and fun with logic.

These are some of my crappy idea's, take them with grain of salt and remember they are not done yet. Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
    Y'know, this calls for an old, childhood campfire rhyme...

There once was a boy-singer who sat on his tuffet,
    Eating some kurds and whey.
    Along came a spider
    That sat down beside him,
    And the singer said "Never say never!"

Nothing is ever a "nigh-impossibility" or an "impossibility." They once said dynamic lights in Minecraft were impossible, and then, someone made it work. The first person to code an efficient interior atmosphere algorithm will probably hit the top of the Starmade mods list (once we get to wiggle our fingers around inside the code's guts). Or, if Schema is the first to make it work, we will probably get a fancy new feature.

Actually, I'm going to make a personal resolution. Next time I feel like saying "that's impossible" or "that's stupid" regarding a feature request, I'll spend some toilet time thinking about how to make it work. :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Y'know, this calls for an old, childhood campfire rhyme...

There once was a boy-singer who sat on his tuffet,
    Eating some kurds and whey.
    Along came a spider
    That sat down beside him,
    And the singer said "Never say never!"

Nothing is ever a "nigh-impossibility" or an "impossibility." They once said dynamic lights in Minecraft were impossible, and then, someone made it work. The first person to code an efficient interior atmosphere algorithm will probably hit the top of the Starmade mods list (once we get to wiggle our fingers around inside the code's guts). Or, if Schema is the first to make it work, we will probably get a fancy new feature.

Actually, I'm going to make a personal resolution. Next time I feel like saying "that's impossible" or "that's stupid" regarding a feature request, I'll spend some toilet time thinking about how to make it work. :)

I find it amusing when I get "disagreed" when I am just posting facts or things the developers have said. Atmospheres were brought up in the last live stream, I don't remember exactly what was said but you can look it up if you like. It is true that somebody may figure out a way to do it and that may even be schema himself.

Also as for the dynamic lighting in minecraft, have they also made it stable for multiplayer? The reason Mojang said they never did it was because it would only work single player and therefore not being worth adding to the game officially as it would potentially overload the game with a larger server running lighting calculations for lots of players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I find it amusing when I get "disagreed" when I am just posting facts or things the developers have said. Atmospheres were brought up in the last live stream, I don't remember exactly what was said but you can look it up if you like. It is true that somebody may figure out a way to do it and that may even be schema himself.

Also as for the dynamic lighting in minecraft, have they also made it stable for multiplayer? The reason Mojang said they never did it was because it would only work single player and therefore not being worth adding to the game officially as it would potentially overload the game with a larger server running lighting calculations for lots of players.
    well i was the one who originally asked that question on the Q/A but that was about differential pressures sucking people into space if there was a hull breach that is what they were referring to as over taxing and i messaged the developers recently about this topic over if and when they were adding life support and they said they were going to add it but it was not going to be soon.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    well i was the one who originally asked that question on the Q/A but that was about differential pressures sucking people into space if there was a hull breach that is what they were referring to as over taxing and i messaged the developers recently about this topic over if and when they were adding life support and they said they were going to add it but it was not going to be soon.
    I build RP style ships and after heavy battle I love walking through them and taking stock at the damage. "This section is depressurized, that section is okay". So I am all for actually having atmospheres on ships just not at a detriment to performance. Also using this to balance the amount of people on any given ship is pointless at this phase of the game because a single person can fly massive ships.