Lidren Q&A

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Only a little late to the game. I've wanted to do this and had not decided how or where. This serves just fine I think. I'll answer all relavent questions, along with any I find humorous. I am satisfied with my application, short though it is. I believe it is sufficient to show what I am about, but I expect to be proven wrong with some hard questions. Oblige me?

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is there anything you would refuse to represent despite the community wanting it to be represented?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Okay, same questions for you:

Is the balance of starmades content and game mechanics a very important subject to you?
    Will you try to prioritize your council work on analyses/suggestions/solutions regarding said balance?

Reaction score
    Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party? (Sorry, Comr4de payed me to ask.)

What were some questions you think the application should have asked, but did not?

When did you stop trafficking in illegal drugs?

(I have a whole bag full of silly & serious questions...)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is there anything you would refuse to represent despite the community wanting it to be represented?
    Absolutely not. If the community at large is dead set on something that is not a troll attempt or entirely unfeasible, I would attempt to make its case with both other councilors and the dev team. Even if I may disagree with the end result personally, I am one person, and that person is allowed the same say as every other player, no more.

Is the balance of starmades content and game mechanics a very important subject to you?
    The balance between the two is perhaps the most important subject to me. During this period of development, both need to be addressed to make sure the end result, or even beta, is as fine and polished as it can be. Specifically, I would like to see content such as ship variety, npcs/mobs, quests, and so on. The mechanics to me are right on track with a few exceptions, I will have to be guided by community interest as to how to refine them.

Will you try to prioritize your council work on analyses/suggestions/solutions regarding said balance?
    This in my opinion is half or more of the councils entire purpose. Besides content and game mechanics though I also have the drive to address things such as long term server stability and administration tools (starmote, etc).

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party?
    No, I despise politics and politicians. I am apolitical. I do however have sympathies in the communist direction, not including the governments, but the underlying principles only.

What were some questions you think the application should have asked, but did not?
    This one is a good one. I like the application as it is, but I would have liked to have asked about more technical expertise in the game. To explain, specific questions about in game mechanics (weapons, armor, systems, mining, power), server and config understanding (data, server.cfg, blockconfig/blockbehaviour), and general community experience (what server(s) primary, cross server or single server faction, starmadedock or third-party community, etc).

That might have ended up with theses being written though, so I think that with the admonition to add what you felt necessary the application was more than sufficient.

When did you stop trafficking in illegal drugs?
    Before I started.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429140860,1429139002][/DOUBLEPOST]
    1. There's a lot of people who enjoy Starmade but either lack the reason or time to get involved with the forums. How would you ensure that the opinions of various not-as-social players on servers or playing single-player are represented?
    I spend a good deal of time on the steam forums as well as here. Answering questions, helping people where I can. If a player has zero presence in any related forum, it would be nearly impossible to ensure they get a say. If she or he makes one post however, it can be located and discussed with the council. A lot of good posts go unnoticed on steam by many players here, and of course vice versa. It is part of the councilors job to spread out our feelers and find them. Even reviews can be useful in some ways.

2. While there's nothing stopping any regular member from doing so, the attention that is likely to come with a 'councilor' badge would be a great boon for most forms of community interaction. Besides the described duties of a councilor do you have any other ideas or plans to help the community?
    I have a great interest in seeing the underlying systems and servers becoming as stable as they can be, that is my biggest drive. I would press myself to be more visible and active, specifically in the way of trying to draw out peoples thoughts on the game and understand their points of view so that those points of view may be given a chance. I do not know that it would change how I deal with others, but I am sure it might change how they view me. It is my hope that people take it to mean that I want to listen to their ideas, because I do.

3. Without any interaction with Schine or Realms Network or any game updates, how long do you think this community would be considered active? What is your definition of an active community?
    The two questions can be answered at once. As long as a few servers hold out, converse and share amongst themselves, and attempt to grow or at least stay active, the community is alive. Its my hope that the community will last for years beyond the end of development, though I doubt that there will be a true end to development until computers no longer run the same way.

Reactions: MrFURB
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1: Features & Balance
    2: Performance
    3: Graphics

Reasoning - Performance is a huge issue, but for performance to mean anything, you have to have plenty of players. Features and balancing are what keep part of the potential player base around for more than a few weeks, and graphics are what keep a part of the potential audience from starting playing the game.

Fixing the economy, implementing Shipyards & the HP system, proving a reasonable alternative to planet mining (variable asteroid sizes, auto-mining factories on planet plates, whatever), and removing some of the game's gameplay limits are my top priority, as game mechanics that're entertaining for more than a month and a half are much more important than making sure the servers can handle 5 million mass titan fleet battles on $10/mo hardware. Minecraft suffers from performance issues, but the gameplay mechanics and balance are what keep players coming in and playing it for years.

Graphics are slightly less important, but are pretty high up there. We don't want to be known as Space Engineers' ugly cousin forever. Graphics don't improve gameplay, but they do prevent reviewers from shitting on the game for it, and they lower the entry barrier for newbies who aren't accustomed to '90s gaming.
    Since you do not have your own thread I suppose replying there was ok ;)

1) Server stability/longevity
    There is a recurring issue that causes many servers to require wipe and reset after a time, especially if they're on an ssd with limited space. The database for Ragnarok Galaxy is nearing 80 gb, and shows no sign of slowing down. Even removing MOB entries regularly does not solve this issue. For private/public servers to really mean something they need to be able to hold an audience over time, and bi-annual resets while good in some cases, are terrible for others.

2) Features/balance
    Like you, I believe this is really a sticking point. I think that to make the jump to beta, this issue alone is most important to have handled before then. The HP system, shipyards, and singleplayer playability, quests, monsters, etc. All these things should come down the pipe just as soon as other priorities that Schema/Schine may have are handled.

3)Interface, chat, and starmote
    A few minor issues with the chat interface, which Ill discuss at length in a post later. Starmote or something similar needs to be a fixed and updated thing, admins and owners need much easier access and control of their servers in my opinion.

4)Graphics
    Definitely on the list. I like that texture packs and even shader mods are available. I would like to see the latter implemented as standard, the effects are a bit lackluster by default, and Bearishs mods are not resource intensive. I am interested in exploring how the graphics can be improved without losing the blockly flair that is so loved by many people (though also a major turn off for many others)

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Oh, lol. Well thanks for the answers anyway then. I will keep them in mind if I am elected.