levels of technology and scaled up building

Reaction score
    few ideas here:

1. im thinking about star wars and how they were using a massive power plant on endor to supply shields to the new death star - what if we could harness a planets core as a power source and have a link to a nearby station in orbit to supply it with power ?

2. what about dyson spheres to take power from a sun? and transmit that power through subspace to every faction ship within x sectors? however, instead of building the actual sphere, a special "small" station with a certain configuration must be build that generates a static structure that will act as the dyson sphere - so visually it will hold the star, but it wont be billions of blocks, it just be a graphical thing like the planet auras/atmospheres.

3. what about having "technology restricted" building where you have a tech tree that you have to level up through in order to use stuff. yes eventually "master builders" will max it out, and it should be faction based not user based , maybe with some sort of bonus if the ship / station was built by a master builder.

4. tech tree could be as simple as having upgraded versions of all of the basic blocks to build with, to locking factions into only having certain blocks available until they research more.

5. max number of blocks could be tied to the tech tree. kind of like how building titan sized ships was an endgame thing in moo2 etc

6. players should have various kinds of xp levels that affect their usefulness. such as combat xp (better battles), building xp, salvaging xp (rare components), mining xp (rare resources) etc. this would require some, maybe server selected options for RP variables. like building flaws and variable hp or armor levels. IE the shipyard is making a ship but instead of level 5 armor blocks there is a spread of 20% of them being level 1 to 4, but if my level of ship building is high, that will be reduced. or maybe some non essential blocks get ommitted, like an armor block that in the design is surrounded by other armor blocks in a way that if it was missing, itwouldn't be obvious,there should bea chance that it is omitted based on the levelof ship building (overseeing) skill. there is alot that can be done here to add a really strong RP element to the ships.

7. the above would make a faction more of a prestigious membership than just having access to blueprints/designs (is that a thing yet for factions?) and or ship / station access.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    few ideas here:

1. im thinking about star wars and how they were using a massive power plant on endor to supply shields to the new death star - what if we could harness a planets core as a power source and have a link to a nearby station in orbit to supply it with power ?

2. what about dyson spheres to take power from a sun? and transmit that power through subspace to every faction ship within x sectors? however, instead of building the actual sphere, a special "small" station with a certain configuration must be build that generates a static structure that will act as the dyson sphere - so visually it will hold the star, but it wont be billions of blocks, it just be a graphical thing like the planet auras/atmospheres.

3. what about having "technology restricted" building where you have a tech tree that you have to level up through in order to use stuff. yes eventually "master builders" will max it out, and it should be faction based not user based , maybe with some sort of bonus if the ship / station was built by a master builder.

4. tech tree could be as simple as having upgraded versions of all of the basic blocks to build with, to locking factions into only having certain blocks available until they research more.

5. max number of blocks could be tied to the tech tree. kind of like how building titan sized ships was an endgame thing in moo2 etc

6. players should have various kinds of xp levels that affect their usefulness. such as combat xp (better battles), building xp, salvaging xp (rare components), mining xp (rare resources) etc. this would require some, maybe server selected options for RP variables. like building flaws and variable hp or armor levels. IE the shipyard is making a ship but instead of level 5 armor blocks there is a spread of 20% of them being level 1 to 4, but if my level of ship building is high, that will be reduced. or maybe some non essential blocks get ommitted, like an armor block that in the design is surrounded by other armor blocks in a way that if it was missing, itwouldn't be obvious,there should bea chance that it is omitted based on the levelof ship building (overseeing) skill. there is alot that can be done here to add a really strong RP element to the ships.

7. the above would make a faction more of a prestigious membership than just having access to blueprints/designs (is that a thing yet for factions?) and or ship / station access.
    I dont know abou 2-7...
    but point 1. you already have power-supply and shield-supply beams in game ,so you can already build huge power plants and shields plants on a planet,build a shields/power supply turret on a planet,point them at a ship/station in orbit,and just shoot them with those beams..

just connect the computers to a logic clock that will shoot indefinitely

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    There have been other talks in this forum about tech trees. The general concensus is that its bad to have arbitrary limiting since there are large sections of the game that are already hard. As well as on the larger servers that tend to have socio/faction fighting. I like the ideas of maybe stealing plans from factions and ships to use in your own. I'd prefer it if there was a larger focus on stealth in the game. Right now its just kinda there without the support it deserves.

I think the main reason want a tech tree is to show them that they are making progress vs just going and doing things. I can appreciate this, but minecrafts acheivements were a better way to do this.

Reaction score
    Do power transmitters have the range?

there is alot of stuff that should affect range if we add modules but doesn't i think?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think tech tiers would be a fun and very popular mod, but should not be in the core game.