Lets Revamp Cockpits

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've been playing this game endlessly for a week now and I'm loving how much of it is complete through alpha, I bought a server and the game before even playing the game because I've been waiting for such a game to exist for quite some time. I have many suggestions, but the main issue that's been bothering me is cockpits and how much more useful they can be instead of just a viewfinder.

Cockpits, right now, serve zero purpose other than being used as a different view perspective in the same direction your core is facing. There have been many threads that suggested that cockpits should face a direction, but I believe that cockpits should do more than just that.

Cockpits should serve as system interfaces, meaning that cockpits should have systems attached to them; the cockpit serves as an interface the player can use to use the systems attached to it. This simple fix would add a whole new level of customizations to ships, especially for giant carriers and cruisers and smooth out multi-crew ship operations on a multiplayer server:

Details:

Each fire-able system would need to connect to a cockpit for it to be operable by a human, this includes weapon systems, missle systems, salvage systems etc. All systems connected to a cockpit will be only operated by said cockpit - this makes it easier to fire discrete side cannons on battlecruisers. Connected systems will face the direction the cockpit is facing making it easier to plan and face weapon systems in the direction desired.

Each system can only connect to one cockpit to prevent confusion and error but an infinite number of systems can connect to a cockpit. Also systems are no longer usable by themselves. (ie 5 missle systems and 2 salvage systems can be connected to one operated cockpit, but those missle systems that are attached to said cockpit cannot attach to another cockpit)

Furthermore a core cannot operate without a cockpit, a core can connect to a cockpit to set a "master cockpit" - The cockpit that can be operated to navigate the ship.

Bonus: Connecting a cockpit to an AI bobby, allows the player to remotely control the AI turret, ship etc. from a distance. This would be really really awesome. You would be able to control figher planes from inside your ship, undock and launch tnt filled controllable missles (I really want to do this), easily operate AI turrets for more fleixbility, Launch surveyors and area scanners.

"Connecting" meaning selecting and pressing v on another block, not putting blocks adjacent to each other

Although I understand that needing another component to have a working ship might add a layer of complexity, but I think said layer will solve a lot of the customization limitations in starmade and add a whole new level of customization to starmade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with your suggestions, but maybe the master cockpit should be indestructible. Many times my cockpit has been sniped and I end up losing a battle. I really like the system cockpit idea, but would multiple systems be able to connect?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hm I can see that being an issue, that possibly could be a solution

Yea the master cockpit can have multiple systems attached to it, its jus that ONE cockpit can attatch to the core to remove confusion and multiple drivers.

Reaction score
    No blocks are indestructible forever. Protect your cockpit better next time.