Let's Play Battleship

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I'm sure many of you remember the game battleships. You and your friend trying to kill each others fleet.
    I think something like that should be used for long range fighting.
    You would have a weapons plotting computer linked to the long rang weapon of your choice. What this computer would allow you to do is fire at things outside of visual range. How it would work is you would pull up something like the galaxy map. Different icons would indicate what you were targeting. You would then select what you want to shoot at and how far and at what angle you want to lead the target.
    And if you have a friend with eyes on target they can tell you if you need to adjust your fire, and what sort if effect you are having on target.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    So basically add a tool that is capable of sniping outposts from across the galaxy? YES DEFINETLY NEEDED; I LIKE!!!
    *srry for caps*

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Definitely no. You shouldn't be able to hit things from systems away.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    So basically add a tool that is capable of sniping outposts from across the galaxy? YES DEFINETLY NEEDED; I LIKE!!!
    *srry for caps*
    I was only thinking in terms of two or three sectors, but hay if you can get a gun big enough why not. Just be warned you might have to wait a day or two before your round reaches its target, hope you brought a book.[DOUBLEPOST=1417377688,1417377049][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Definitely no. You shouldn't be able to hit things from systems away.
    I agree. This was only meant for ships 2 or 3 sectors from each other to have artillery battles.
    Now this idea could be used to fire rounds at things across the galaxy if it was set up for that. But currently the weapon ranges don't allow for that and it would probably brake the game if they did.

Reaction score
    If you really wanted to play like that, what you could do is build little disintegrator ships with warp drives... granted you'd have to be flying them yourselves.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    -1, I feel like scanners should temporally show you the position of ships that are a few sectors away so you could hit them with the big guns.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm sure many of you remember the game battleships. You and your friend trying to kill each others fleet.
    I think something like that should be used for long range fighting.
    You would have a weapons plotting computer linked to the long rang weapon of your choice. What this computer would allow you to do is fire at things outside of visual range. How it would work is you would pull up something like the galaxy map. Different icons would indicate what you were targeting. You would then select what you want to shoot at and how far and at what angle you want to lead the target.
    And if you have a friend with eyes on target they can tell you if you need to adjust your fire, and what sort if effect you are having on target.
    YES YES YES ME WANT!! maybe nuclear silos or something that can be only shot from stations to balance etc.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am thinking that StarMade could use a "replay" function. Primarily, a 3D game is highly visual, so not being able to see the damage would be less than exciting. A close-up replay of the damage done would go a long way towards making a long-distance attack more fun. Such a replay function would be SO fun to see, so it wouldn't just be a one-time feature for this game type.

Edit: My idea for an instant replay mechanic:
    Pause the current galaxy and all players in it. (Only pausing the current galaxy will avoid effecting players who are playing on their own, far away.)
    Show all effected players the same replay, up close.
    The game picks a spot at a distance which is equal to about twice the biggest dimension of the effected structure.
    It rotates the camera around the effected structure (randomly up to 45 degrees off the attack vector?) to get a good view point of the attack damage.
    After a quick (3-second?) replay of the damage done, view and control is returned to every player, and the galaxy is resumed.

Reaction score
    I am thinking that StarMade could use a "replay" function. Primarily, a 3D game is highly visual, so not being able to see the damage would be less than exciting. A close-up replay of the damage done would go a long way towards making a long-distance attack more fun. Such a replay function would be SO fun to see, so it wouldn't just be a one-time feature for this game type.

Pause the current galaxy and all players in it. (Only pausing the current galaxy will avoid effecting players who are playing on their own, far away.)
    The game picks a spot at a distance which is equal to about twice the biggest dimension of the effected structure.
    It rotates the camera around the effected structure (randomly up to 45 degrees off the attack vector?) to get a good view point of the attack damage.
    After a quick (3-second?) replay of the damage done, view and control is returned to every player, and the galaxy is resumed.
    ehhh, that would get spammed to death.Maybe for big events, like a faction homebase being destroyed, it can zoom in and show the last hit or something.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store

Not in an entire galaxy IMO, let's just say, every player n sectors away(with n being a server config)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ehhh, that would get spammed to death.Maybe for big events, like a faction homebase being destroyed, it can zoom in and show the last hit or something.
    Yeah, it would need to be a server-configurable minimum damage rating (maybe 2 mil as a default), with a server-configurable cool-down between replays (maybe 60 seconds).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I like this idea! It needs some balancing, but it make combat a little more interesting, not to mention that it could balance the little guys and the biggest of the big.

For balance, I like the idea of it being on a station, but that means that if the enemy station is out of reach you're out of luck. I think it needs to be able to go on ships. To balance this, the ship would have to stop, divert all power to the cannon (no weapons on the ship can fire, not even turrets), and after a build up period, it would fire. (Size would affect the damage output) Also, direct damage might be a bit much. You could just build a fleet of these flying Death Stars and then destroy everything in your path. Maybe something along the lines of the Hoth EMP cannon would be the most common type. That way a titan could be opened up to a devastating attack if planned correctly. Also, the cannon ship should appear on navigation every time it fires.

Now, this could make combat far more interesting. Say you have a titan in your fleet, but the enemy has a long range cannon, that means that your titan could go up in smokes if you're not careful. This would add great dimension as the titan fleet is now targeting the cannon in hopes of saving their flag ship. They send out a strike force to deal with the threat. But the cannon is already moving to a new sector from when it last fired. It could become a game of cat and mouse. The people pursuing only getting cold information while the cannon moves from place to place. Combat is no longer a war of attrition and now gives a tactical edge to the ones who maneuver and strike the enemy with planning and swiftness.

Now, how does this balance smaller ships? Well, take for example the EMP cannon. We know smaller ships cant take down titan shields, or if they can, it takes to long and you'll lose most of your ships. With the EMP cannon though, that could change, one direct hit from an EMP cannon or two could shut down the titans shields and most of it's worst weapons if the pilot makes a wrong move. Just then, your strike force warps in for maximum damage. Targeting the titans weapons and infrastructure until it's shield come back up, but by that time your battleships are engaging the titan, removing what little shields it has left, giving the smaller ships time to swing around and deal more personal damage. This gives a place and meaning to smaller ships as a small weapon capable of precision damage rather than general area damage, while not denting the usefulness of titans. EMP cannons can miss if aimed improperly, tipping them off and starting a premature fight where the titan can use full force.

Overall, a superb idea, but all this requires either a massive amount of dedicated players with good PCs or for the AI to be able to build fleets and make strategies based on the current situation, not to mention dynamic AI factions, new area control designs, and better fleet AI among other things. The idea is great, but should be a cherry on top rather than the cake itself. Once they get the base of the game laid out, I think this will make an awesome addition to an already great game.

Last edited: