Less tedious asteotech repairs

Reaction score
    Hello guys, I think this is my first ever suggestion.... Maybe....

I noticed in the general discussion thread "emergent fleet design" that people find it tedious to have to place specific blocks for the repair beams to repair.

For example, your ship is made up of standard hull, but inside the ship or outside you have other types of blocks (basically alot of different blocks).

It's easy to tell if you run out of blocks that take up alot of space, but let's say you run out of a specific logic block, now your ship is not completely repaired and you have to figure out what exactly the missing part is. It's alot more complicated if you make a very intricatly decorated ship.

One suggestion that I saw is that the repair beams would use scrap or mesh or composite to repair.

That way people can just slap on more of those resources to fully repair their ship and makes it less of a task (specifically when repairing larger ships)

Personally after thinking about it.... I believe the largest hurdle would be how to program it so that it would accept the basic resources and scrap based on the resources needed for the part. Another problem is how the calculations made might impact the game's processing speed.

Reaction score
    I believe the largest hurdle would be how to program it so that it would accept the basic resources and scrap based on the resources needed for the part
    Probably the same way it would check for the fact that a certain block is available.

1- Fire beam
    2- Hit the block
    3- Check for if block is available
    4- If block is not available check if substitute is available

Adds one more check per block if the same black is not there. Make it cost 2-5 times more in substitute and number of checks should not increase that much as people would try to at least have the most numerous blocks with them to save cargo space and mining time.

Reactions: MacThule

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The easiest way really is to store a blueprint of the ship in the core. Then when you start using an astrotech beam, you'd simply have to compare the current ship to the blueprint and see what doesn't match up. Devs have talked about that.

Then either double check that the block that you're replacing is in the inventory of the repair drone, or have some set cost for repairs per block.

Reaction score
    Probably the same way it would check for the fact that a certain block is available.

1- Fire beam
    2- Hit the block
    3- Check for if block is available
    4- If block is not available check if substitute is available

Adds one more check per block if the same black is not there. Make it cost 2-5 times more in substitute and number of checks should not increase that much as people would try to at least have the most numerous blocks with them to save cargo space and mining time.

That I understamd, but what about when you are running low on all sorts of specific blocks your ship needs? Wouldn't it be less annoying to just load basic resources instead of having to build every part in mass quantities.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Now that the game has acid damage, you could use negative acid damage to allow a single repair beam to fix a whole ship.

Reaction score
    Now that the game has acid damage, you could use negative acid damage to allow a single repair beam to fix a whole ship.
    Cool idea... But I just ment to talk about the resources needed to repair.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cool idea... But I just ment to talk about the resources needed to repair.
    Fair enough.

It might be interesting to incompletely repair some of the more unique blocks that are harder to manufacture or find. (I.e. if you can't build it with 80% scrap in the first place, you can't fully repair it with scrap. This may become more important as more difficult-to-build blocks are introduced to the game.)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It would have to be more than mesh/composite or it would be unbalanced. Most vital components also require ore and/or shards to be manufactured in the first place - it is part of what underpins the economic value of those advanced blocks. Being able to replace a damage AA or crystal armor block with nothing but mesh and comp is getting ore for free.

If you expand the component list to include not only mesh and comp, but also all the ore and crystal materials and hardeners (and paints? Those use minerals) used for components, it could probably work.

It would still be a much simpler cargo loadout for support ships and you wouldn't be getting free repairs to high-end ships.

Reactions: Briaireous
    Reaction score
    It would have to be more than mesh/composite or it would be unbalanced. Most vital components also require ore and/or shards to be manufactured in the first place - it is part of what underpins the economic value of those advanced blocks. Being able to replace a damage AA or crystal armor block with nothing but mesh and comp is getting ore for free.

If you expand the component list to include not only mesh and comp, but also all the ore and crystal materials and hardeners (and paints? Those use minerals) used for components, it could probably work.

It would still be a much simpler cargo loadout for support ships and you wouldn't be getting free repairs to high-end ships.
    Exactly as u say