Less People Playing StarMade...Why?... Answers

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have noticed that less people are playing star-made on the server that I'm in, 50-75% less. Has anyone else noticed the drop?

I have a reason why... How about you?

1. No spawning asteroids.
    The systems get cleared so fast, that players get tired of looking for resources. I have given up on it...Planets go just as fast. If there are going to be no more spawnings, then more needs to be given to start, say an actual asteroid belt.

Reaction score
    I have noticed that less people are playing star-made on the server that I'm in, 50-75% less. Has anyone else noticed the drop?

The systems get cleared so fast, that players get tired of looking for resources. I have given up on it...Planets go just as fast. If there are going to be no more spawnings, then more needs to be given to start, say an actual asteroid belt.

No offense but, I think ur wrong.

Imo it has more to do with the fact that people just don't have anything to do.

New Weapons came out quite a while ago which made battling and designing new and interesting again for a while then we had the rail update which while awesome still doesn't function quite fully yet, but all these things do is add more to building there is literally Nothing to do in starmade right now rails have been out for a bit and there is Nothing New to play with so people are kinda just drifting off till the next update where some new content is released or there is an incentive to do something other than build, you can only make some many things that have no purpose before you just stop and go.... why am i doing this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    because there isn't much to do other than building stuff
    there's no proper A.I, NPC's, A.I factions, economy, system management, crafting and numerous other things to give you something to do

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!

The game itself doesn't have much content besides build a ship :| so its natural people leave after they get bored of that. All the anger around the (forumside) faction scene pretty much killed that off as well, although good riddence in that case. It's been awhile since an update and not much has been done that'd trigger an uptake in players, so the situation is what it is.

Reaction score

Uhhh....

Im pretty sure it has to do with there being no game content aside from building stuff.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, its a one trick pony at the moment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Agreed, players don't need more ways and things to build right now they need reasons to build and interact with each other.
    Of which there are none after a month or two of playing.

Only so much server admins can do to break the boredom / build burn out that sets in.

Only the very dedicated remain on servers after building a ship, station or two.

Of course this will change in the future.
    That's why we dedicated are still here.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    there's no proper A.I, NPC's, A.I factions, economy, system management, crafting and numerous other things to give you something to do
    Nailed it. Luckily the devs are shifting focus to that :D

Reaction score
    I've recently come back from a big break from starmade. There are a few reasons that the game is not really that popular (IMO)

1) Difficulty - there is no easy way to learn how to min-max your ship. You have to do research online, or test for yourself. Once you do learn, however, it is a lot of fun.

2) Bugs - the reason for my break was that I had spent a couple weeks working and farming on a server. Had a nice big carrier I was working on. Came in the next day and pieces of my ship had been erased. I thought maybe pirates or something, so I continued building. The next day parts of my ship are just floating around. It was really frustrating and I felt the frustration wasn't worth the effort at the time.

3) Content - I'm now just playing creative mode on my own. I like the idea of playing on a server, but I just end up building my own ships anyhow without ever doing anything. And if I'm on my own game I don't have to worry about being trolled.

I really hope this game picks up because I love playing it. I use it as a relaxing escape from more competitive games and the stresses of life. Seeing ships come together and finishing a big build is just so fun. I just hope soon the game will make those builds even more rewarding by offering some direction in game play after the build is complete.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I fired up my copy yesterday just to see what's changed in the last few months...the fact is, other than building what I consider a cool starship, there's really nothing to do, at least in single-player. In multiplayer, gameplay balance has always been tenuous at best, and my preferred play style - fighters - just isn't accounted for in how the math of the game mechanics work, which renders my coolest, most clever and efficient builds worthless. Also, I can't figure out how to use the Rails system to do basic things like make elevators that go up and down, or doors that open and shut...so cool space station is out.

So...this game is almost completely a starship building simulator, really. I'll check in on it six months from now, but it's not a game that I can really recommend to my friends anymore. In StarMade's defense, it was cool for the first two weeks, though!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well just because people aren't spending time on multiplayer doesn't mean people like me aren't enjoying singleplayer, so there's also that to think of, especially with the big AAA titles coming up and being released, but they'll come back.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    No offense but, I think ur wrong.

Imo it has more to do with the fact that people just don't have anything to do.

New Weapons came out quite a while ago which made battling and designing new and interesting again for a while then we had the rail update which while awesome still doesn't function quite fully yet, but all these things do is add more to building there is literally Nothing to do in starmade right now rails have been out for a bit and there is Nothing New to play with so people are kinda just drifting off till the next update where some new content is released or there is an incentive to do something other than build, you can only make some many things that have no purpose before you just stop and go.... why am i doing this?
    I think to some it up, there's been massive emphasis on Building, which has kept the building factions in the game while isolated everything else. Lots of RP factions crumbled and since Odium's just about gone there is less forum-side faction warfare to make people laugh/cry/scream/shout etc. Moreover, since the time when EE closed, publicised faction warfare (i.e. faction warfare on servers and off, across servers and on forums) more or less died down and is now much less than it was.

Another reason for the 'abandonment' of Starmade by made people was the steam advertisement. When steam first started working with Starmade it brought tons of steam players onto Starmade. Now steam doesn't really showcase Starmade so there is 99% less people who accidently see Starmade adverts. Moreover, players who played Starmade as a secondary or tertiary game find new games and Starmade just can't compete with EVERYONE's interests so it can't hold all the players in.

I think there would have to be a few things to reverse this:
    A) publish Starmade somewhere else or begin an advertisement campaign e.g. by getting someone like pc games or IGN to right reviews of Starmade, drawing their followers to Starmade.
    B) get EE back up and draw all faction warfare and politics into it as it used to be during 'the golden age' of ElwynEternity.
    C) Get a major update and make it very public which will appeal not only to building factions, but to all factions (RP factions, offensive factions, mercenaries, pirates, spies...EVERYONE)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think to some it up, there's been massive emphasis on Building, which has kept the building factions in the game while isolated everything else. Lots of RP factions crumbled and since Odium's just about gone there is less forum-side faction warfare to make people laugh/cry/scream/shout etc. Moreover, since the time when EE closed, publicised faction warfare (i.e. faction warfare on servers and off, across servers and on forums) more or less died down and is now much less than it was.

Another reason for the 'abandonment' of Starmade by made people was the steam advertisement. When steam first started working with Starmade it brought tons of steam players onto Starmade. Now steam doesn't really showcase Starmade so there is 99% less people who accidently see Starmade adverts. Moreover, players who played Starmade as a secondary or tertiary game find new games and Starmade just can't compete with EVERYONE's interests so it can't hold all the players in.

A) publish Starmade somewhere else or begin an advertisement campaign e.g. by getting someone like pc games or IGN to right reviews of Starmade, drawing their followers to Starmade.
    B) get EE back up and draw all faction warfare and politics into it as it used to be during 'the golden age' of ElwynEternity.
    C) Get a major update and make it very public which will appeal not only to building factions, but to all factions (RP factions, offensive factions, mercenaries, pirates, spies...EVERYONE)
    I kinda dig the plan B and plan C

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!

Your server doesn't represent all of Starmade. Unless you have at minimum a 1000 people playing. Then you might be statistically relevant.

However, I can tell you why you have less people playing.

School's in.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    God no, all of the "What do you mean its an alpha?" people the first time around were bad enough. Lets not advertise an alpha state game to the masses.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally, it's because I can't trust my shipyards. If I get a ship damaged, it should be trivial, now, to repair it and get back up and running, however with several bugs being known to occur including parts of ships disappearing, ships getting corrupted, ENTIRE SECTORS getting corrupted and requiring repair... etc... I'm afraid to do anything with the precious few ships I manage to get to work properly.

For others, though, I'd assume, it's just a general lack of things to do. I've been having trouble keeping recruits around with not much to do besides the occasional mining to build a new ship or replace an old one.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I went from EE to SS, but then they hit a period of instability and I ended up leaving back to games like Victoria 2 and other big titles to get an RTS fix, when I came back, EE was closed. Talked with people and they said none of the current servers were worth investing time into them.

However EE seems to be coming back, and the few videos and screenshots of big battles their got me interested in starmade in the fist place, sooo fingers crossed.

right now though I am currently enjoying Civ Beyond Earth Rising Tide (BERT lol) and off and on making a purdy looking ship.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well with the next two updates at least being about RP and bug fixes here's to hoping that the shipbuildng supremacy is challenged a bit.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well with the next two updates at least being about RP and bug fixes here's to hoping that the shipbuildng supremacy is challenged a bit.
    Well, remember that we are still an alpha.

They were trying to get the central mechanic down pat and working well before spreading out. Which is very good. Make building your stuff work, make it work well (and lets face it, for all the silly little bugs, this game works AMAZINGLY well for having one guy build most of it in his spare time). Then when the core works, then you start spreading out what you're going to use it for.