Latched Freecam Button

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The Free Camera button (RShift by default) is nice, but the only problem with it for me is that you have to hold it down the whole time you're trying to use that view. I would like to be able to zoom in/out or maybe reach over and use my ship movement keys while using the Freecam, but that's really difficult when you're holding down a button on the other side of the keyboard. I've yet to figure out how to hold down RShift, LShift and scroll my mouse wheel at the same time. I think it would be much more useful if it was a latched (toggle) button instead. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I've yet to figure out how to hold down RShift, LShift and scroll my mouse wheel at the same time. I think it would be much more useful if it was a latched (toggle) button instead. Just my opinion.
    I take my mouse, lift it over my keyboard, use the finger, that normally clicks the LMB, to hold RShift, hold LShift like any normal human, and use the finger, that normally clicks the RMB, to scroll.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    there is a other ways to view that I accidently active, they are very annoying for me.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nobody else uses their tongue? :p I'm the only one? Nevermind, then....

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    just wish we had something like that in astronaut mode

Last edited:

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    The Free Camera button (RShift by default) is nice, but the only problem with it for me is that you have to hold it down the whole time you're trying to use that view. I would like to be able to zoom in/out or maybe reach over and use my ship movement keys while using the Freecam, but that's really difficult when you're holding down a button on the other side of the keyboard. I've yet to figure out how to hold down RShift, LShift and scroll my mouse wheel at the same time. I think it would be much more useful if it was a latched (toggle) button instead. Just my opinion.
    Just in case you aren't yet aware, if you hit right shift twice it will lock it into freecam mode. You can then zoom out and pan around while also being able to use WASD to move your ship/character. Hitting right shift again will disable it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, but you can't steer when you're in that mode.
    We really need a proper 3rd person view to fly in, one in which we can change the camera view by holding down a button to have a view that won't jump back to its original position.

Who was the one with the 3rd person view video?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Yeah, but you can't steer when you're in that mode.
    We really need a proper 3rd person view to fly in, one in which we can change the camera view by holding down a button to have a view that won't jump back to its original position.

Who was the one with the 3rd person view video?
    Unless there's another one I don't know about, that would be me.

Here's a possible idea. What if (while in double shift) when you hit shift it didn't cancel it, but instead locked it in that position. hitting it again (after at least a second or something) would let you reposition it, and it wouldn't be deactivated until you double-hit shift again.

Uses the same system with just a few minor tweaks, but allows for a (more) proper 3rd Person Camera. I'm not sure if your reticle would line up correctly at that point though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The aim marker should still display properly. Just an addition to what you want (love the idea btw): We should be able to move like we are able to move in build mode to set our camera position. How it would work:
    • C would align you with your ship.
    • Your mouse would be used to rotate around the current position.
    • W, A, S, D, Q and E would be used to move the camera forward, back, left, right, up and down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Just in case you aren't yet aware, if you hit right shift twice it will lock it into freecam mode. You can then zoom out and pan around while also being able to use WASD to move your ship/character. Hitting right shift again will disable it.
    I wasn't aware that you could do that. That pretty much solves my problem thanks! Not a very obvious feature though.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I wasn't aware that you could do that. That pretty much solves my problem thanks! Not a very obvious feature though.
    No worries! and yeah it's a bit hidden. Glad I could help though. =)