Larger Sectors and Larger Planets

Reaction score
    I am looking for a multiplayer server with larger planets and sectors. Can someone give me some suggestions on which servers if any have this? Thanks

Reactions: Agame3

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am looking for a multiplayer server with larger planets and sectors. Can someone give me some suggestions on which servers if any have this? Thanks
    Aetherion has some pretty large sectors, but planets are the default size.

Reaction score
    Thanks. I checked that one out a bit. I think I am more interested in larger planets than sector size if there is a choice to be made.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Massive planets tend to make servers not run very well, so you probably won't find that. They'll be improving the planet design, and practical size, with the universe update, so... check back next year, I guess? :P

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Planets... please don't. At this point in development they are simply not optimized enough to be usable. You will spike the server ping and adversely effect everyone on your server. Our server has a specific chat popup asking people to avoid building on them and that if they do insist on building on them then we reserve the right to destroy the planet and everything on it if it causes problems... which it invariably does.
    Having said that if you still want to explore planets then make sure that any ship you take to the surface is docked to the planet. Do not let entities bounce on the surface of a planet. You will kill your server and make the admins sad.

Reaction score
    The only thing that you could do is to build yourself a cookie planet station. Flat earth society for the win.

I highly recommend building a cookie planet and upload it to the CC. We don't have one station that is just a surface for building your own stuff on it.

Last edited:

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    And if you don't know much about the cookie planets go back several (20 or so?) versions and you'll find that the planets are flat cookie things and not big lagging dodecahedrons. There have also been a few uploaded to the dock as stations and saved sectors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Planets are best kept small, roughly half of vanilla configs. You can’t go too large with sector sizes either for different performance reasons as much as I’d find 100km sectors appealing. The best sector size is generally accepted as 10km.

Also, you want to watch out for servers that jack up the speed too much as that’s just going to undermine the advantages of a larger sector.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Planets are best kept small, roughly half of vanilla configs. You can’t go too large with sector sizes either for different performance reasons as much as I’d find 100km sectors appealing. The best sector size is generally accepted as 10km.

Also, you want to watch out for servers that jack up the speed too much as that’s just going to undermine the advantages of a larger sector.
    Yeah Aetherion has 10km sectors and 450 m/s max speed, and Wolfpackclan has 5km sectors and 900 m/s max speed.