Landing on planets?

Reaction score
    So i should say that I have collision damage on because I felt like everything else is unrealistic? However this is causing me some issue with landing on planets.

My ship isn't even that big (like 300 blocks?) but as soon as I touch down on the surface it basically gets just destroyed. I tried building little feet from hull sections but that didn't work.

I read online that people built landing skids for their ships but I don't really understand how those are supposed to work apart from just being little hull sections. Any advice on this?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    if you want to "land" wit collision on thre's 2 options. Docking to the planet, and using hover-pads.

Reaction score
    So I guess I need to fly down in just a core first to setup some infrastructure to land the ship?

Reaction score
    So I guess I need to fly down in just a core first to setup some infrastructure to land the ship?
    Yeah. There is no other way with the game mechanics. And dont land your ship without docker because it could catapult away due to bonky physics.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Go to your installation folder and open "server.cfg".

Search for the line:

"COLLISION_DAMAGE_THRESHOLD = 2.0 //Threshold of Impulse that does damage (the lower, the less force is needed for damage)"

Try raising your threshold so it's not so sensitive.

Reaction score
    Never Been fun landing on planets with big ships but.. Could have changed XD

Reactions: DevajC
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    My planetary landers employ mobility chambers with the antigravity perk. Bear in mind that you don't need to have the chamber always be set to antigrav. You could have a ship with TopSpeed that you reconfigure to Antigrav-II when it's time to make planetfall. Maybe this would help in your case? Probably not if you want to make flush contact though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Antigravity and docking to the planet will deal with most of the buggy behavior. Landing on the planet with a flat ship or one with well balanced landing legs (keep in mind your center of mass) works fine most of the time. keep in mind collision damage is one of the oldest features of the game in that it hasn't been worked on in years, and is thus going to be really buggy with all the physics updates that have happened since its last update. I personally don't use it at all, although I hope to in the future, because I've always wanted to build a ramming-based ship just for fun.