Land Vehicles

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think small planet based vehicles would be interesting to have since people could load them up into a cargo or drop ship, and fly down to a planet and use them for what ever. Im interested to see what you guys would think of this!

Reactions: AssIn9 and Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Planets aren't developed enough for this yet in my opinion. Too Small

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm of the same opinion as @psteiner. We've got ways to go, but I think that the devs do want to have them at some point.

Believe me though, I want some land vehicles. Particularly multiped tanks like Ghost in the Shell. Sadly I think that if we ever do see land vehicles, we won't even get wheels let alone moving parts like walker, just hover vehicles.

Reactions: AtraUnam
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The great thing about land vehicles is it would open up an entirely new "mini" game. My sons and I love to build bases on different sides of a planet, then search for each other and attack the base. With 12 sides to explore it is a lot harder to find the enemy base than you might think. Especially if you are not using spaceships. With vehicles we could now have tank battles! I am sure they will be necessary if we land on a hostile planet inhabited by xenomorphs!

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    @Mr.Steam Tank races!

Yeah OP I'd love to race around in my own space Ferrari (or space supra) but I'm afraid we need more work on the ground level stuff before we can add this.

Reactions: Mariux

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    When the planets were still pancakes I had a tank arena. I even built a second tank that could handle rough terrain and a third designed for a gunner and a driver. There are numerous skid-racer tracks out there still. A lot of which were developed long before logic.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I had a dropship once >_>

It was a quick infantry deployment vessel.

I liquidated it after I grew to hate the shape.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think wheel blocks would be great, not only for land vehicles, but also for creating linear motion in structures. I'm thinking specifically about moving an elevator cab up and down by mounting motor wheel blocks on the sides of an elevator shaft. The elevator cab would be moved around by the wheels touching it.

Block concept:
    _______
    | _ |
    |\/ \ |
    | |o| |
    |/\_/ |
    |_____|

There would be an "attachment" side, which connects statically to a structure. This never moves. Then there's a direction of travel. (maybe) Any grouping touching another side of the wheel block will move in the direction of travel (or the opposite of the direction of travel, depending on your point of view.) Example: "Forward" on a car would mean "backward" to the planet/asteroid/structure underneath the car. To move the vehicle forward, you are effectively pushing the planet underneath you to the rear. The planet won't move, but the vehicle will. A static elevator motor on the side of the elevator shaft will have the same effect, and is easier to comprehend.

Then there's the sticky subject of turning. It would be good to be able to link the wheel blocks to user control under specific circumstances, but I wouldn't want my elevator motors to turn when I'm moving my ship around. On the other hand, elevators will inevitably evolve into turbo-lift-style devices that send the cab in different directions on the ship. Example: An elevator cab runs to the rear of the ship, then without pausing, drops down two floors to get to its final destination.

I'm thinking of different block types now. Specifically, I'm thinking of static wheels (motors) and dynamic turning wheels (for cars). I'm also thinking about other block types, such as "detached hull", which would be wall blocks with the 5 standard shapes, available in all colors, that can be built inside a structure, that would be considered "separate" from the rest of the structure, so that it would be easy for the game to differentiate between the elevator cab, and the elevator shaft walls. Maybe the detached hull would only need to be placed along the outer edges of the detached structure, so that the rest of the detached structure could be made out of existing blocks, and still be considered by the game as detached. After all, I'd want my elevators to have their own doors.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    The great thing about land vehicles is it would open up an entirely new "mini" game. My sons and I love to build bases on different sides of a planet, then search for each other and attack the base. With 12 sides to explore it is a lot harder to find the enemy base than you might think. Especially if you are not using spaceships. With vehicles we could now have tank battles! I am sure they will be necessary if we land on a hostile planet inhabited by xenomorphs!
    Well good for you guys! Sounds like a great time. =) We may not have tracks/wheels, but you can still build tanks to slide around on the planets in. I've seen numerous successful designs, so there's definitely the possibility for it, even now! =) Oh! Something to try, in case you don't already know, if you guys run your own server (or you can ask and admin if you're on a public server) check out the commmand /sector_chmod 2 2 2 + noindicators. it will hide your blips, making it even tougher to find each other! =)

@Mr.Steam Tank races!

Yeah OP I'd love to race around in my own space Ferrari (or space supra) but I'm afraid we need more work on the ground level stuff before we can add this.
    A skidferrari? ;) Races work rather well if you set them up right. =)

When the planets were still pancakes I had a tank arena. I even built a second tank that could handle rough terrain and a third designed for a gunner and a driver. There are numerous skid-racer tracks out there still. A lot of which were developed long before logic.
    Tanks are super fun, both to drive and gun for, we've done several mini-games with them on MushroomFleet, had some great times. =) and skid-racer tracks are still coming out. 2 down and 10 to go in my latest project, all on one planet. =)

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i think we can get away with tracked vehicles, but wheels maybe not. Either way i think it would be fun to have them for mining purposes and such!!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I love my hover tank, it even has anti gravity now. Actually using it is a pain though because there is no way to align to gravity easily.

Reactions: ToasterBorst

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I still think people have lots to bring tot he table on this maybe we cans tart sharing design styles and techniques to help this suggestion post along or make vehicles we think can be made fully functional with the land based additions.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I built an LRV and LAT a while back. If u don't understand those acronyms then you don't belong in this thread

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    anyone have pics of the land craft? especially the tanks I have a few I'll look up and add.

There we go got it to work.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hehehe

The LAT (Light Assault Tank)

[DOUBLEPOST=1414206681,1414204653][/DOUBLEPOST]Decided to quickly update my LAT

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    neat concepts guys im in the process of building a small fleet of speeder's and such.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I would think a vehicle core that hovers a couple meters above the terrain would be fairly easy to implement. It could be used with existing thrusters to move about and be able to hop 3 or 4 meters.

It reminds me of the old PC game BATTLEZONE, where you drive hover tanks around on the moon and blast each others bases.