Read by Council Land of the Giants (build scale)

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1x10 beams would be more useful. Because less blocks= less lag. In From The Depths you can have 4 block long beams, they added them to reduce lag. Why not add beam blocks to StarMade?
    I thought the point of FTD beams is that they are tougher? Anyway, I don't know that starmade really supports that.

One way or another, this suggestion seems like it would, more than anything, make shipbuilding really laborious, and encourage bigger ships that create more lag. If you want a more detailed ship, just build a bigger bloody ship. It's not as if interiors have any functionality anyway at the moment, so if you want a 20 meter tall chair, then build one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Actually, Sgtwisky, it's 1000x the file size (10*10*10=1000, you've basically applied physic's law of scale to....oh wait, this is exactly what we're dealing with)
    yea... I did my mental math wrong lol. TY for the correction.

Edit: Edited my other post to be correct.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    mmmI think a 1:9 (3^3) conversion might hit a sweet spot between "lag" and "purdy" the sit mechanic already sections faces that way...

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I thought the point of FTD beams is that they are tougher? Anyway, I don't know that starmade really supports that.
    they had to make them tougher for obvious reason.
    At some point beams could be a nice addition to the game. They could be better, not only fixed sizes like in FTD, but adjustable ones.

Reaction score
    I'll be honest here

This sounds like a great way to murder the performance of people with low-end computers
    The game is already pretty taxing as it is, which is sort of counter-intuitive for a voxel game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Decreasing block size (or increasing player size) does indeed give more detail. This is not something that can be logically disputed.

It's also irrelevant.

There is a reason that this game (and every other game) uses similar size blocks. The fact is that the computing power required for this is prohibitively expensive. The best computers will see a significant drop in FPS and combat would probably crash the game.

It is not a question of whether this is a good idea. It is not a question of whether this would be cool. It's not even a question of whether I want this (I do).

The standard computer can not handle it. The high-end computers would struggle. Low-end computers would burn.

Go start up a single player game and just sit at spawn. Just sit. Idle, do nothing. Look at your memory requirements and CPU usage. Now imagine we just halved the block size. Those numbers would now be multiplied by 8. Can your computer and/or graphics card handle eight times the system load at idle?

At best, this change would cater to a very small minority of players that can afford the bleeding edge technology that might make this feasible. This is also not something that can be made optional. It will require fundamental re-coding and re-balancing.

This idea is great. It is also a decade ahead of possible. This will happen when Schema starts walking on water.

Moving on...

Reaction score
    Also, you would need to redo half the game mechanics. Each single 1m block would have 1000 times the effect. All numbers would be 1000 times larger. All weapons, even the missile pulse, would do minimal damage. Yes, cannons would punch through km of armor, but you would never make anything but pinpricks. I can't make a hole in the ship to fire through. Everything would need a base aoe.

Reaction score
    Actually, Jaaskinal, it does....from a certain point of view. It allows you to *see* more detail, in the form of a larger pattern (Somebody standing on the North American continent can't perceive the continent as a continent, but someone orbiting the Earth can see the continent as a continent) but does not increase the amount of detail in a set amount of area. It only increases the amount of area you can see.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I understand everybody's point, about making computer's melt. I don't necessarily agree.

All I'm asking for is a setting in the config to change the size of Dave.

Reactions: DrTarDIS

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I understand everybody's point, about making computer's melt. I don't necessarily agree.

All I'm asking for is a setting in the config to change the size of Dave.
    Ya, really, ANy servers that decide to USE it become benchmarks for if it IS a good idea or not. Options are always good, the market will will determine what actually works, and that's how it should be.