Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Need to ask... With the new texture organization and mappings, is there perhaps a method planned for including custom layout mappings in an add-on texture pack? Replacing the block config XML file would change other game-affecting things, and some deduplicated textures may only have been (err, were only) duplicates in the default pack.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Need to ask... With the new texture organization and mappings, is there perhaps a method planned for including custom layout mappings in an add-on texture pack? Replacing the block config XML file would change other game-affecting things, and some deduplicated textures may only have been (err, were only) duplicates in the default pack.
    If texture pack creators are wanting to deviate from the default texture assignments they would need to bundle a custom XML file with the textures.

The BlockConfig.xml file contains no gameplay mechanics. Only block properties, (Light colour / HP / Armour / Crafting prerequisites).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If texture pack creators are wanting to deviate from the default texture assignments they would need to bundle a custom XML file with the textures.
    aka customBlockConfig/BlockConfigImport.xml ?

The BlockConfig.xml file contains no gameplay mechanics. Only block properties, (Light colour / HP / Armour / Crafting prerequisites).
    BTW:
    It is ridiculous to edit even such a simple thing as block-groups consistently...
    Even with copy+paste and "blockConfig.xml > grep '<Block '" it is hilarious to find what you need within 32 thousands of lines!
    Even Cubatom stuff is still there.​

You should be able to collect all words used in "<Block name='...' type='...'>" properties and choose which or which combination you want
    _reset
    _include block & (logic | signal)
    _exclude delay & repeating
    _property block.InventoryGroup = logicblocks​

If it is ambiguous, it should show you some options and how words are understood.
    block = xmlTag, xmlTag_propertyValue, xmlTag_partial

You select which is correct, and enter words the program might know are used togetherwith some actions and get your command _as_you_wish_

_keyword anyword "non-alphanumeric" .variables (.a :infix-function .b) (function: .a1 .a2) just letters which are easily accessible on german+english keyboards.​

Not that I do this just for SM, I want my own programming language for my Studies too ;)
    [/INDENT]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nice new textures.
    I see that only some of the faces on the warheads are animated, though I can't tell how you did that from a brief glance at blockConfig.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Nice new textures.
    I see that only some of the faces on the warheads are animated, though I can't tell how you did that from a brief glance at blockConfig.
    This is achievable (and always has been) in the block editor.

A 3 texture block, for example grass, plexlift, factories and the new warhead, can have an animation. You simply toggle animation : true, and on the texture sheet place your animation frames after the SIDE face. It only targets the side face, not the top or bottom.

However we are working on a single face animation system currently.

Reactions: Blodge

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    By the way, Kupu, that ice crystal texture works way better on my ships... No more awkward diamonds everywhere. :3
    I'm glad. The slight reduction of light emitted helps too i think.

There are a few little things like this that i will continue to work on, tiny details that just need sorting out. Slowly slowly... ^^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm glad. The slight reduction of light emitted helps too i think.

There are a few little things like this that i will continue to work on, tiny details that just need sorting out. Slowly slowly... ^^
    Will u UpDate water texture? :P

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Point understood, but HP, armor, and crafting are part of the game balance. This means whenever those stats are adjusted, add-on texture pack distributions would require an update which in principle shouldn't be necessary.

A more significant issue: Doesn't the BlockConfig.xml file get replaced with every upgrade/patch/build? That would mean the user will need to find and reapply the file from the texture distribution after every update.

I'd like to suggest that with these changes, all properties related only to textures (e.g. mapping, animation, light) should be moved into a separate XML file residing in each texture pack's main directory. This could maybe also be a step toward an ease-of-use enhancement to eventually allow for introducing new blocks with default textures without any material disruption to users of add-on texture packs, by having the new file simply override default texture properties for specified blocks.

This can be moved to the Suggestions forum if more appropriate, but I do feel that the point needs to be considered in the upcoming release. (The main issue I'm running into with adapting to the new texture mappings is the use of three textures as e.g. [front, left/back/right, top/bottom] for systems like weapons and thrusters instead of [front, back, left/right/top/bottom] which is much more natural to me.)

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I very much approve of your refinement of the default textures. I finally switched back to 256 after being stuck with 64 for so long testing rails. I took the opportunity to gaze upon my creations. The hull textures look great and the glass is amazing now. They match really well with each other. I am actually going to use Black Crystal Armor now

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Two questions;
    1. What's that block in the upper right corner? I honestly can't tell which block that is. I'm not saying this in a critical way fyi, it looks amazing!
    2. Any news on the fix for all those damaged crystals from the last update or so (which seriously messed up the textures)? Or is that not your domain at all?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Two questions;
    1. What's that block in the upper right corner? I honestly can't tell which block that is. I'm not saying this in a critical way fyi, it looks amazing!
    2. Any news on the fix for all those damaged crystals from the last update or so (which seriously messed up the textures)? Or is that not your domain at all?
    I think it's a core.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think it's a core.
    Yea, that'd be my guess too. However, it could also look like an AI block's eye, with an iris and all. Or it could be some sort of quantum singularity contained inside a warhead?

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    Two questions;
    It looks a lot like the warpgate computer

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I was thinking earlier today. Surely it is a good idea to keep the slightly different shades in the different hulls? With armor still being worthless, it adds some nice decoration options for things like hull texturing.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    It looks a lot like the warpgate computer
    Yup.

Left, Default 256. Right, New pixel. Warpgate computer side texture.

I was thinking earlier today. Surely it is a good idea to keep the slightly different shades in the different hulls? With armor still being worthless, it adds some nice decoration options for things like hull texturing.
    Basic Hull were given more colour variants.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/kupus-thread.839/page-34#post-100101