Read by Council Knife to a Gun Fight

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Just because a spear can reach longer doesn't mean it's not a melee weapon. The limited range and constant bubble means that pulse is a melee weapon, if not very useful. Yet.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well at least they work and they don't instakill a titan in one hit.
    Again, where exactly am I saying it should do that?

Please, explain to me how it would insta-kill a titan in a way that doesn't apply to warheads?

"Oh, make a big wall of them!"

Okay, throw a thousand warheads at it. If we're going to go for absurd, then lets go for absurd. You can insta-kill a titan with warheads, and you don't even need to pilot the warhead. You stick one of these on a push beam motor, it hits the target and bounces off.

And please, don't give me the "You can shoot down a warhead missile!" and yet somehow you can't shoot down an even larger ship with a blade?

Hell, have the blade itself contribute to ship HP. You need direct physical contact with it to do damage with it, so there's no armoring it. You have a wall coming at your titan, you're already saying it only takes a few seconds to take the shields down, now you've got a huge HP vulnerability that is literally the broad side of a barn that can't be moved coming straight down your barrels? Give 'em a low HP and no armor, easy as pie to blow away.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd rather not have combat be where the objective is to be to ram the shit out of people. You know some dumb shit is going to apply this to a big ship. And you know you'll wind up with server crashes when they use it.

Reaction score
    A bit wall of warheads isn't reusable though. That would be a one time use of resources, that likely wouldn't hit in the first place as push beams aren't terribly accurate.

Your beam blade idea though is as simple as flying past the ship in a manned craft.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    If you think a suicide vest (albeit one that does not blow you up) is a melee weapon, that might be the source of the issue here, because we're clearly not using the word to mean the same thing.
    Actually, ships optimised for damage pulse can tear into other ships pretty easily.

I think the issue here is that you want to kill a much larger ship with a four, maybe five-block ship because otherwise you can't beat it. My advice: make better ships and better guns to kill that titan instead of suggesting pointless things.

"Oh, make a big wall of them!"
    Okay, throw a thousand warheads at it. If we're going to go for absurd, then lets go for absurd. You can insta-kill a titan with warheads, and you don't even need to pilot the warhead. You stick one of these on a push beam motor, it hits the target and bounces off.
    You clearly do not understand warheads. Even a thousand will not destroy a titan. This way it is balanced and stops people like you from destroying other people's well-made ships with cheap tricks.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the issue here is that you want to kill a much larger ship with a four, maybe five-block ship because otherwise you can't beat it. My advice: make better ships and better guns to kill that titan instead of suggesting pointless things.
    And here is where your assumption is wrong. I have no problem building bigger and better ships.

I want a new mode of gameplay that doesn't devolve into parking two titans next to each other and seeing who's turrets win. I want something that actually has ship size be a preference choice, and not "the only way to play".

I've said repeatedly that a couple of small ships should not be able to take out a titan by themselves, but you choose not to see that.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    And here is where your assumption is wrong. I have no problem building bigger and better ships.
    I want a new mode of gameplay that doesn't devolve into parking two titans next to each other and seeing who's turrets win. I want something that actually has ship size be a preference choice, and not "the only way to play".
    I've said repeatedly that a couple of small ships should not be able to take out a titan by themselves, but you choose not to see that.
    Adding a weapon like this does nothing to change the gigantism issue. It, in fact, only worsens it, since there would be massive wall ships built solely of the things flying round. It'd also kill all creativity. Look at Robocraft for example, use only one type of weapon and don't decorate your vehicle or you're good as dead from the start.

The gigantism problem will only change when people's attitudes towards gigantism change. Until then, we'll all have to put up with it.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I routinely gank ships 3-5x my own block count.
    Lol, well then clearly you are exploiting cheap tricks and need to be nerfed! :P

Nothing but two titans too big to turn that park next to each other while turrets automatically trade shots are allowed in this game!

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Lol, well then clearly you are exploiting cheap tricks and need to be nerfed! :p

Nothing but two titans too big to turn that park next to each other while turrets automatically trade shots are allowed in this game!
    It's called good engineering, something you clearly know nothing about.

I've said before, if you want to kill a titan, make a ship with better weapons like Azereiah here has. There's no point complaining on the forums like this.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's called good engineering, something you clearly know nothing about.

I've said before, if you want to kill a titan, make a ship with better weapons like Azereiah here has. There's no point complaining on the forums like this.
    Funny, the entire point of this thread was to come up with a new kind of weapon. Its been mostly the "Don't you dare make it so my titan might get blown up!" crowd that has been complaining.

Because apparently anything that allows anything that isn't itself a titan to even scratch another titan is morally and ethically wrong.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You're just memeing at this point, lad. Everyone posting here is the anti-titan coalition.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Funny, the entire point of this thread was to come up with a new kind of weapon. Its been mostly the "Don't you dare make it so my titan might get blown up!" crowd that has been complaining.
    Actually, I regularly fly 3000-5000 block fighters and 40k-80k block corvettes, and never flown anything above 2m blocks. Stop trying to generalise, it only makes your point look worse.

It's just not a viable weapon system, get over it like all the other people who made suggestions like this.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While I don't agree that the concept of some form of block based melee weapon is inherently non-viable, I do agree that this isn't worth continuing because you guys have gone well out of your way to shut down any discussion on how to make it viable.

For people who claim to dislike titans, you sure fight hard to keep them as king of the hill.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sounds like what we're looking for for this concept is a ship mounted torch array.

Application concept:

Plasma Lance: Single Emitter block, no stacking or effects, Range 1-3 meters.

Possible ways to prevent Uberness:

Projecting ship cannot have shields.
    Multiple emitters have a chance of going boom that increases with number of emitters.

Reactions: CaptainTaz

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Point invalidated. Please, enlighten us with your next 'anti-anti-titan' argument.
    So you want to invalidate the entire rule with a single exception?

Honestly, this is getting off topic, but sure. By this logic there is no giganticism in the game. It doesn't exist because building smaller has across the board advantages?

I don't feel the need to defend the position that titans exist, that I do see them as a problem, and that the exist primarily because they are stronger than smaller ships. One ship vs. one equally well built ships in the hands of equally skilled pilots, the larger ship is going to have an advantage.

As long as that is true, ship size will only increase until something is added to put some negative pressure on them.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    As long as that is true, ship size will only increase until something is added to put some negative pressure on them.

<MulTotalThrust>0.75</MulTotalThrust> <!-- total = (total^PowTotalThrust)*MulTotalThrust -->
    <PowTotalThrust>0.87</PowTotalThrust> <!-- total = (total^PowTotalThrust)*MulTotalThrust -->
    <ThrustPowerconsumptionPerBlock>1</ThrustPowerconsumptionPerBlock> <!-- WARNING: this is consumed every 30ms! use -1 for power consuption per thrust generated -->
    <PowPerThrustCollection>1</PowPerThrustCollection>

<ShieldCapacityPow>0.9791797578</ShieldCapacityPow>

<PowerDivFactor>0.333</PowerDivFactor>
    <PowerCeiling>2000000.0</PowerCeiling>
    <PowerGrowth>1.000348</PowerGrowth>

Reactions: Lecic