Keep getting teleported around.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am flying a ship about 1000m long 600m wide and 300m tall. every time i go near an asteroid station or planet i get teleported 500m-1000m back words. why is this?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I am flying a ship about 1000m long 600m wide and 300m tall. every time i go near an asteroid station or planet i get teleported 500m-1000m back words. why is this?
    You are likely on a sector border. I'm still not sure how or why this happens, but it usually happens when you cross a sector boarder.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You are likely on a sector border. I'm still not sure how or why this happens, but it usually happens when you cross a sector boarder.
    This is the most likely case. Russwels if you have not already I would increase the sector size in the server config. I liked 5k for getting people used to the game.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Up the sector size to have more room or just not fly so close to the sector boarders. Not much you can do about it other than that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The why is probably because of how the engine handles drawing all the objects. You have a limited amount of Z-buffer to work with the closer you are the z-buffer handles more detail. The further out you are the less precision it has. Which is why you get Z fighting at a distance not up close usually.

To compensate for this objects are scaled and drawn in a painters algorithm. They can also use space partitioning. It really depends on the programmer and engine he designs. In short there is more than one method but to draw very large scenes you can't just draw them. It simply doesn't work.

So if you are going to scale everything you have to also compensate for it by simulating the distance with the map. Probably the only time in this game you are seeing real distance is when you are actually in the that sector.

So what you are experiencing when crossing a boarder is the change from simulated distance to actual distance and apparently they are not exactly equal. This is more noticeable if something is near the boarder edge.

The reason making sectors larger works it tends to move things away from the boarders edge and you end up crossing that boarder a lot less because you have more space to move around.

If you want to learn more specifics on it look up large scene rendering with openGL.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    ohh OK. so me having a ship so large and having objects on the edge of a border, the engage has trouble scaling 2 sectors at one time?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I find the default sector size good for getting into the game, but if you start building bigger or spending more time bouncing between sector boundaries I would increase it.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Sector Size Ranges between 4000km to 12000km, while speeds seem to be from 150 to 500.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    How does increasing or decreasing the speed change of the actual gameplay? Like how does it affect the game play itself. I know the obvious things that make sure ship go faster.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Changing speed just makes things move faster overall and not much else. The only real changes to gameplay is targets are sometimes harder to hit but other than that nothing changes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright I'm sitting around 200.
    How does a station being on the border or crossing the border affect the game engine is well.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Game hates stations close to boarders, try to center it the best you can.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The game uses some kind of partial duplicate entity in the other sector to handle collisions and visibility and stuff; it doesn't have full capabilities of a loaded entity in your sector and there are some other issues with things that go across sector borders. My advice: Just stay away from them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    how do i find sector borders and how do i center my stations in them?