K-Boom's Hardcore-Friendly Blueprint Overhaul

Reaction score
    To start this thread off, I feel the need to say I immensely enjoy playing StarMade, especially because of its constructive and potentially competitive nature. That being said, I primarily play on a hardcore PvP server that has blueprints disabled because playing on a server where rich players can upload someone else’s work and use it in combat as their own is a little bit silly.

Blueprints in their current state are an excellent way to save your work and duel ships without any real losses. However, they only really contribute to gameplay in a simple Sandbox mode as they can make resource management, efficiency, and originality meaningless in a PvP environment.

To remedy this, I am suggesting a non-invasive overhaul to Blueprints that will allow them to function appropriately in a Hardcore setting while also keeping the current system intact. The basics of this system are as follows:

1) Nothing changes about the current system. Users can save their ships to local regardless of server options and can upload Blueprints to the server if the server allows it. I have nothing against Sandbox gameplay; I don’t enjoy it but that doesn’t mean I feel the need to ruin it for everyone else.

2) “Logs” are a new purchasable item in shops. They can stack and be manufactured or, if the server owner feels it is necessary, can only be found in loot from Pirates or other players. When this item is right-clicked in inventory, a menu opens asking the player whether to convert one of the Logs into a Logbook or a Blueprint of the ship currently occupied. If the Blueprint option is selected, the player receives a recipe-like item for the ship he is currently in. When the blueprint is right-clicked, a window opens listing every resource required as well as the total block count (mass).

3) Factories or a new, similar block can accept Blueprints in a similar manner to recipes. The factory can be linked to a Docking Module to specify where to output the ship. When a Blueprint and all the required blocks are placed into the factory, the factory will output the ship specified by the blueprint to the docking module.

Note that a number of things can go wrong here for the player: if the block requirements are not met, the factory has no Docking Module output or the area is too small, or the power requirements are not met, then the ship will not be produced. For the power requirements, I think a linear scaling based on mass*(constant decided by server) would be appropriate to prevent larger ships from being easily spawned, if the server owner decides it’s necessary. Also, general settings for server owners like max_mass, max_length, etc. would be helpful to keep large server-straining ships from being spammed.

And that’s the basics of the system. Now I’ll discuss the features it provides:

1) It allows servers to stay competitive and players to save their work.

With the new emphasis on resources instead of credits, even if a ship is Blueprinted it still has a resource cost to the player or faction fielding it. If that ship is lost, the player must provide an adequate number of resources to get it back; however, he does not have to worry about assembling each individual part in the exact same way again.

2) It encourages creativity and efficient designs.

It goes without saying that whenever you add an item to a game, that item’s value is determined by the way player’s use it. Since the value of Blueprints will vary from one Blueprint to another, skilled builders will be able to sell their works for top-dollar or earn a reputation on the server for their constructive talents. Also, since every ship has to be designed on the server, the factions with the best builders/Blueprints would have an advantage over those that don’t.

3) Blueprint theft.

Need I say more? If Blueprints can be traded, they can also be stolen or pillaged. There’s really nothing more hardcore than having your designs stolen by your enemies and having to fight your own ships. Or, you know, stealing designs from your enemies and having them fight their own ships. It’s fun either way.

Well that about sums up my thoughts on this. Any comments or criticisms are welcome; after all, we only want to make this awesome game better.

Thanks for reading,

K-Boom

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While nothing revolutionary, it is a nice idea. Would certainly help some player-based trading and general interaction as well as give pat on a back of good builders and create standarization.

Reaction score
    me being who i am i love to build ships in sandbox and hardcore but this could finally allow for real, in-game shipyards where you could build ships with rescources and sell them in a friendly or hardcore environment.

i dont know wether schema will like this or not but i pray that he does because this whould be a true step towards indutrialisation in starmade imagine for a second. you have an entire factory station creating hundreds of blocks and rescources and then have that connect to a new ship building part of the station we could have entire ship building factories! an entire faction could have their own fleet that was their design and no-one elses ( unless they steal it of course ;D ). no more imposter ships using your amasing design to destroy your faction and on top of that just the idea of a real shipyard makes me more giddy than a 16 year old getting his first car on his birthday. I love it!!!!!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    How would this allow for importing ships you\'ve previously built in other servers/single player? You said you are not against it but didn\'t explain how it fits into this system only that blueprint items will be created with your currently occupied ship.

I would love shipyards required to re build ships (Dump all the items in give it a blueprint and the ship starts to auto construct before your very eyes instead of just \"poof\") but it would require the shop or factory system to be robust enough to keep these shipyards stocked (last I checked factories were useless due to them being randomized). Right now I just buy the ship I am currently working on and scrap it when I run low on materials as I am stinking rich due to the broken economy and it requires way to much scavenger hunting for more hardened hulls at like 10 - 100 per new shop.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Kudos

This is exactly how I see the blueprint system. Nice presentation too.

I\'ll add some more details, like a way to connect factory blocks to plexstorage (using \"C\" and \"V\"), and more multiserver options.

also: http://star-made.org/content/ship-yard

Reaction score
    actually that whoudl be quite simple if you have blueprints you could buy the blueprint from the shop much the same way you could buy an entire ship from shop but instead you buy the blueprint or you could upload your blueprint to your blueprints folder if you have your ship next to a shop and while your at the shop you could have the shop \"scan\" your ship and then you could buy a blueprint of it from the shop as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like it, to summarize what I think I read (and what I more or less like)

Firstly I like anything that makes StarMade more \"economy and risk / reward\" than the cry babies like... this idea of spawn a ship on the forum at will and fight with it, is weak. If you want to do that... well might as well not bother with credits or resources at all. Be it as a new option though.

What you are saying in your post is basically:

Disable catalog imports
    Make it possible to save your ship you made ON THE SAME SERVER (not just save to local), using your logbook block.
    Allow a shipyard, which is basically a glorified version of a docking module, where your ship will appear in. Except you have to \"pay\" with all the blocks your ship requires, some menu no doubt.

I like it, I think its a fair way to allow people to get their ships back if they lose them, without the catalog.

Good idea this passes my seal of approval. (lol)

Reaction score
    +1

This is so epic, finally people can play on hardcore servers without constant fear of their precious ships being lost forever. You sir, have Imperial support :D

Reaction score
    Thats it whats yoor servers IP. I\'m going to conquer your server with crybaby power! And some help from herobrine\'s army of course. But still CONQUER YOUR SERVER!!!

Reaction score
    I want this, especially because it turns into a competitive thing.