JVM Crash Error (Just bought the game)

Reaction score
    So i came from Steam.. I found the game and bought the fourpack. I sent the 3 other games to some friends so we could all play together on it, but unfortunately, it isn't allowing me to play it. I always open up the client, start the game, and wait for it to open up the game. It brings up a black screen for a couple seconds, then crashes. I get back on and it says i had a "JVM Crash". Its telling me to update my Intel Driver but its up to date. I've went onto java, uninstalled, and updated to the latest 64-bit. I was really looking forward to playing this game.. Please help! I'm using Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, and Intel Core i7 processor. I've tried so many different things but nothing seems to work and i'm slowly losing hope.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Sorry to hear that. Intel drivers do give the opengl libraries a bad time tho. What version of the driver are you using?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    goto your start menu and type 'dxdiag'. let it run (it'll have a small bar in the lower left hand corner) and when it's done go to your display tab. on the right hand side it should say 'drivers' and in that box area should be a field called 'version'. I need that number, starmate.

Reaction score
    goto your start menu and type 'dxdiag'. let it run (it'll have a small bar in the lower left hand corner) and when it's done go to your display tab. on the right hand side it should say 'drivers' and in that box area should be a field called 'version'. I need that number, starmate.

Reaction score
    I'm getting the same issue, and I also just bought the game. The only difference is that I have intel graphics 4400 and an i5 and my driver version (what intel tells me is the newest one) is 10.18.10.3308

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    10.18.10.3958 is the latest for x64 and x86 on windows 7 and 8

Reaction score
    10.18.10.3958 is the latest for x64 and x86 on windows 7 and 8
    okay now this is also weird because I went to the asus website and got the 10.18.10.3574 version (latest according to asus) and I still get the JVM error

Reaction score
    Two things for both of you:
    1. At what point do you get the JVM crash? What is the last thing you see before it?
    2. Have you tried running the game at absolute lowest settings? http://starmadedock.net/threads/people-with-slow-computers.2216/ (just the launcher bit for now)
    1. I get the JVM crash right after the loading screen. I start the launcher, click ok to start the game, then I see the loading screen, which, when it gets to 100%, blinks out of existence. The window closes and when I restart it gives me the jvm error message.
    2. Yes, I just did and I got the same error, in the same way.

I don't think it's a graphics/cpu issue as I have 4th gen i5, which while not being the newest, can run dolphin and other cpu intensive games.

Reaction score
    1. I get the JVM crash right after the loading screen. I start the launcher, click ok to start the game, then I see the loading screen, which, when it gets to 100%, blinks out of existence. The window closes and when I restart it gives me the jvm error message.
    2. Yes, I just did and I got the same error, in the same way.

I don't think it's a graphics/cpu issue as I have 4th gen i5, which while not being the newest, can run dolphin and other cpu intensive games.
    Have you got the 64 bit version of Java? If you have a 64 bit computer (I would guess you do), you should get it. The website only downloads the 32 bit version automatically.

Reaction score
    Hey guys I found this video that helped me get my Starmade game working. Hope it did for yours. There was something specific about the java code that was needed that I did not have.

Reaction score
    Tator, that's a pretty bad video and half the steps he tells you has nothing to do about fixing the JVM crash. The whole reason for downloading the game directly from Schine and installing it in a folder closer to C:\ is to reduce the number of folders you have to type/click to reach the game files. Not a big deal if you don't do it, except if you plan on installing mods or don't want to launch Steam every time you play the game. Also, I wouldn't send non-techies directly to Device Manager before the manufacturer's website for drivers, except to see if there is a hardware device who's drivers were having a problem. And, he didn't tell you anything that was not posted in this thread already. (And, yes, I do work in IT.)

My daughter's PC is currently crashing after you click on the start game button from the launcher. The only thing I haven't done, per this thread, is install the SDK. However, she said it stopped working after updating Java for Minecraft, and I suspect the issue may be that (oh so wonderful) multiple versions of Java don't play well with each other. (Don't just verify that you have the latest 32 bit and 64 bit versions, make sure they are only version of 32/64 bit Java installed. If Microsoft can figure out how to do this with .NET, why couldn't Sun Microsystems?)

Will let you know what the fix is for her PC. May help some of you.

Jack Linde
    AKA The Crazy Zonie (Still after all these years.)

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    In a LOT of cases Intel direct downloaded drivers will be blocked from installing because they have not been flagged by the manufacturer as compatible. An incredibly unhelpful dialog pops up and tells you to get drivers authorized by your vendor. The only work around is to extract the files from the downloaded driver pack and force an update via the device manager.

It might even be required to roll back Java version in some cases. The most recent Java updates broke my 32bit only tablet's ability to load past 99%. I'm working on it now but I am certain a Java roll back is my only fix. :| It's rare but it happens.

Reaction score
    In my daughter's case, I built her PC. The direct install drivers work fine. I know there are specialized chip-sets out there. (Dell is notorious for this.) Even still, it's better to go to Intel's website first, and if the auto-detect tool can't figure it out, go to the manufacturer's site. Again, I wouldn't direct computer neophytes to Device Manager, except to look to see if Windows has flagged something broken.

I verified she only had one Java 32bit installed (8u40) but rolled it back to 7u75. This did not work. I have verified her game stops working with 0.18999 update, but works with older ones. I'm not sure this thread is completely representative of what my daughter (and my nephew on his laptop) are experiencing. I think it's something between 0.18999 and Windows 8.1. Between my brother's house and mine, there are two PC's and three laptops, only one PC and laptop can't run past 0.18999. Both have Intel graphics and running Win 8.1. My brother's laptop has Intel chip-sets and Win 7 Pro, but that's running the latest version just fine. The other two PC's are running nVidea GeForce cards. I could fix my daughter's PC by installing a graphics card, but this is the only game affected. This isn't an option for my nephew, since he's on a laptop.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    agreed. it's tempting to see if an ubuntu live distro might get SM up and running on 18999x. what intel chip is being used in the laptop?

i'm using a bay trail t soc with an ivy bridge based gpu. if i had a way to easily run a windows 7 environment off of it i'd test that myself. as it is getting this thing to boot off usb has been aggravating but i blame the mb not the soc.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Couldn't tell you what GPU chip-set it uses. It's a Dell Inspiron 15. Only couple of months old. Can't get a straight answer from my brother as to the specs of the laptop. My daughter's PC is running one the ASUS Z77 (Ivy Bridge) motherboards. Again, not at home, so I can't tell you beyond "Intel HD Graphics". (P8Z77 something. Bought it towards the end of 2013.)

I know Win7 supports dual booting. I don't know if the Win 8.1 tablets support it. (Haven't played enough with Win 8.1 and have 0 experience with the tablets to answer that question.) Dual booting might work for the laptop. Except my brother bought the device primarily for his son to do homework.