Just for people uploading ships.

Reaction score
    This essay or post is not a command or order, just simply my opinion and is not relevant as most wil not care...

One of the larger problems is things like stealing. I have sene atleast 50 Star_Destroyer_By_Ixis

AND ALL BY DIFFERENT PEOPLE! And the worst part is I have gone into a bunch of them and the people uploading it are also taking credit for making it! IT SAYS "BY IXIS" not YOU!!! That is just one of the things I am concerned about, but it is the most important. Plagiarism is not fun for people around you and especially for the original creator. That Destroyer must have taken him ages, and you are claiming his work? And for what?! A pat on the back?

Another thing that is not really relevant is the names. I have no right for telling you what to do but I just want to share my opinion. Every now and then while scrolling around the ships ill find something with the word "Battleship" or "Battlecruiser" in the name. And I go "Oh looksie! A big ship!" And when I click the link its a simple 10,000 block little frigate looking ship... Here is where I see the line,

1-6 not a ship...

7-50 Fighter.

51-150 Large Fighter.

151-1,000 Destroyer.

1,001-6,000 Gunboat.

6,001-50,000 Frigate.

50,001-100,000 Cruiser.

100,001-300,000 Battlecruiser.

300,001-1,000,000 Battleship

1,000,001-1,500,000 XL Battleship

1,500,001+ Carrier OR Capitol Ship OR Deathstar. (Usually contains large docking bays ment for masses of ships OR a extremely powerful weapons meant to destroy entire fleets or even planets.)

That is just my opinion on ship scaling and has no control over what YOU want to post, but calling a frigate a battleship is a bit annoying.

I have been playing space games for years. Particulary games like Freelancer (a game developed around 1989-2000 created by the same man creating the game called Star Citizen). And Ship caling has become a more than just a thing to me. So if I want to make a battleship, I spend 3 days on it and click over one million times, not an 1 hour putting 20,000 blocks together.

Another thing is design laziness, and spam... People have gotten lazy. Currently there is only a few extremely good designers such as Heldtech who have created ships that fit my scale pretty darn well. But other people are starting to upload things more of just for publicity. I have counted over 60-70 Isanth-IV uploads. Litterally just the defauly Isanth posted over and over by tons of different people! But not just that but people are starting to upload they're 10 block ships made by the simple things you get from starting a new game! Absouletely no style at all! Just the same thing we have all seen over and over again. Also something I see allot now is "blueprint_1789912341" or in other words spam. Someone (not saying his username for hsi own sake) uploaded 20 "blueprints" IN A ROW! Go and look for yourself! I was going through the new ships and a load of blueprints, all different numbers, was uploaded by the same person!!! Now if this is not spam, I do not know what is! Something I think would help control spam would be to add upload limits. Make it so that a certain IP can only post like 3-5 uploads a day. And if they get tons of high ranking voted, such as Heldtech has gotten, the limit goes up.

Now that is all I really have to say, and I probably will add much more to this but that is for another time.

AND REMEBER!!! This is just my opinion and that I have NO control over what you think! This is a pursuation not a command. Now keep that in mind before posting angry comments. And yes I realize that this is the internet and personal opinion are treated, well, unkindly... But yes, this is just my opinion, not my order.

Reaction score
    Grinds my gears too, but unless the developers decide to let someone moderate the uploads there\'s little any of us can do. On that note though, they may not know there\'s an issue without complaint, so I\'ll give you that much.

mou

Reaction score
    http://starmade.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Classification

Reaction score
    i totally understand your point.

i too see tons and tons of noobs who claim awesome ship-designs for them.

when i tell them that someone(ohi! i\'m the chat, i\'m very im-pooor-teeent! let me hop on your screen!)

where was i? yep if i tell someone that he did in fact not design the ship he\'s claiming to be his own they either lie or tell stupid storys about: \"yes but it wasn\'t finished\"(btw. the ship\'s name said clearly soandso-empty-by-geniusdesigner_ID0080204535etcetc)

i always wonder why people(n00bs) always forget to give their ships actual names.

maybe because they don\'t feel shit for the thing they are flying. \"why bother giving it a name, i designed dis manys shipses!!!1!!1~hurrdurr\"

i built a few nice looking ships. and all of them mean something for me, because i spent hours and hours on building and perfecting them. I wouldn\'t be able to stand someone spawning it carelessly, without my permission, and flying around with it, pretending it was his or her creation.

Reaction score
    did you realise your post has nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread?

what\'s your opinion about people using ships, claiming to have built them even tough it\'s not true?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You did notice this topic is also about how to name a ship for upload, right?

Reaction score
    \"wtf is your classification

http://starmade.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Classification\"

so you think this is a major contribution to the topic?

a \"not-even-a-sentance\" and a link?

let me try it:

\"I don\'t agree in your ship-classification system, block count isn\'t everything, there are many more characteristics to a ship, like turret count, size, energy-regen, mass and others.

The classification-system in the link below makes much more sense to me:

http://starmade.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Classification\"

this looks like someone put a little bit of effort in it:)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    did you realise your post has nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread?

You responded to his post with that.. I was not saying it was wrong to be a critic of him but that you said it had \'nothing\' to do with it, when in fact it had something to do with it. Nothing more.

Reaction score
    seems i overreacted because this topic angered me.

but that\'s no reason to become a di$% myself.
    hm...

thx for breaking up my tunnel-vision.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The key problem, as you state, is that they don\'t moderate this forum. (The don\'t appear to listen much to it at all.)

Well, then, what you need is a fan-moderated forum for ships. If you have quality moderation and prevention of plagarism, then people will flock to it.

For my part, I\'ve got all the code for my Ship Editor to read/write/parse ships. I can write a simple tool that will help automatically detect plagarism. The person running the forum can wite it into their software to detect when two ships are exactly, or nearly, the same. If someone wants to do the wiring, I\'m happy to write the tool.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Without downloading them all to check, I think many of them are accidental. They clicked the wrong file to upload, or just misclicked something and didn\'t mean to upload anything.

Try uploading a ship. You don\'t get a notification in game, nor do you even get pointed to where your ship file is on the website. When I uploaded my two ships, I had to sort by upload date/descending, and the scroll through the ships til I found mine.

The TL;DR version: People are accidentally uploading ships and either don\'t know, or don\'t care. I think \"design theft\" is probably quite rare.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    And the starship Enterprise.

That is to say, if I build the USS Enterprise, and someone else does too... will your program prevent one of us from completing the ship?

Also, what about people who like the Amber Fate halo ship, but want to recolour it in green and blue? How will your program deal with that?

Also, what if I am the original creator and want to use your program to rework one of my designs?

Remember that there exists the idea of fair use, satire and derivative works. I don\'t think that the website should prevent people from uploading ships that are modified versions of other ships.

They could easily prevent files wih the same name from being uploaded multiple times.

And as I stated in another post in this thread, I think most of those uploads are likely accidental.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can write a tool, not problem, that can tell several levels of difference. Only a human can decide if it is plagarism or not. It will be up to the website designer how to use what the tool produces to combat plagarism.

For example, with a simplest setting, the tool could tell if two ships are completely identical. That would be the safest if you wanted to exclude an upload as an obvious copy. It would stop the Isanth-VI posts, but is easily defeated by anyone with a brain.

Another setting would let you compare ships, but ignore color/hardness. Another switch to test for reflections or rotations around the primary axis. That would eliminate simple mods. But, as you point out sometime simple mods are desired. If I were a website designer, I wouldn\'t necessarily reject a submission if it fails this test and it\'s the same user as the copy, but I might like to be alerted to it so I can check it out manually.

Another setting could test for one being a subset of another. I.e. if a design was started and posted, and then someone added something to it, that could be flagged. Again, this could be a derived work either with, or without permission. Or a continuation of a project. Doesn\'t make sense to do a complete rejection, but it would be worth looking at.

The last thought I had is one that doesn\'t return a thumbs up/thumbs down, but returns a rating. How similar are two ships. I.e. you take the silouette of one and subtract the silouette of the other, and count the blocks that overlap.

All told such a tool would be an aid to combating plagarism. In and of itself it is not a cure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had another through: I woudn\'t find it hard to create a \"ship\'s registry\". This would not be a site, but a service. There would be APIs to send it a ship, to list ships (sorted an filtered in different ways), and to download ships. Bascially a database that people could upload ships to.

My skills are on the back-end, not the front-end. I\'d leave it up to other people to write front ends for the site on their own pages and sites. The advantage would be that any person wanting to host ships wouldn\'t have to solve all the problems themselves, and that people wouldn\'t have to post their designs all over the place. Then you could have community members serve as moderates of the data. And when copies are found and agreed upon as plagarism, they could be removed and they would go away from all sites using the service.

I wouldn\'t mind writing the service. I have a place to host it. Probably not the fastest, but it would do. If there was demand for it and site developers who would really like to add a ship gallery to their site.