Read by Council Jump effect should only occur on exterior blocks

Reaction score
    Hello, all. Recently I was testing out an auto-jumping system and was hoping for a stroll around my ship while I did so.

Everything was blue. That really burst my bubble and I went back into the core for the rest of the journey.

Anyways, it would be nice if the jump effect only occurred on the outside of the shop.

Pros:
    -RP warp bubbles are possible
    -You and your passenger can enjoy your interior while traveling (And honestly, that's where the majority of interior enjoyment should take place.
    -Still looks cool
    Cons
    -idk

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Im not sure how you would differentiate the exterior surfaces from the interior. What if you only see the blue effect if you aren't aligned to the vessel that's making the jump?

Reaction score
    That would be nice, but the game would need an overly complicated algorithm to determine what is in out.

Reaction score
    Im not sure how you would differentiate the exterior surfaces from the interior. What if you only see the blue effect if you aren't aligned to the vessel that's making the jump?
    If you aren't aligned to the vessel that's jumping you should be on the outside, that seems like a safety hazard. In any case, I guess it depends on how Schema does it.

That would be nice, but the game would need an overly complicated algorithm to determine what is in out.
    I wouldn't really know.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you aren't aligned to the vessel that's jumping you should be on the outside
    That's what I was implying. The logic being that if you are accelerating to FTL speeds along with the craft it would appear stationary while the universe speeds past. If you aren't part of it, you see it power up and jump away.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i have an idea, make a new block, it is free and has no effect on the ship block count or hp count, it just tells the game whether that is inside or or not
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460869719,1460869516][/DOUBLEPOST]also, it is only placeable in astronaut mode, as if you tried to put it in build mode, it would get the interior cavities of the ship *if any* and would cause some unescesary lag, or we could just have a different way of showing the game warping, as a wormhole opening and then closing as the ship flies into it

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i have an idea, make a new block, it is free and has no effect on the ship block count or hp count, it just tells the game whether that is inside or or not
    If I am not mistaken this would make the data size of ships bigger. Also, it would be better (in my opinion at least) to make this block (if it was added) placeable in build mode using a texture (only in build mode) like the texture other invisible, non physical blocks have in build mode.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don't think auto jumping is an intended feature so this is unlikely. As far as I know there is a planed hyperspace system that will allow larger ships to continuously travel allowing you to wander your ship in hyperspace.

Reaction score
    I don't think auto jumping is an intended feature so this is unlikely. As far as I know there is a planed hyperspace system that will allow larger ships to continuously travel allowing you to wander your ship in hyperspace.
    A.) We can build auto jumpers, I downloaded one the other day

B.) Passengers

That's what I was implying. The logic being that if you are accelerating to FTL speeds along with the craft it would appear stationary while the universe speeds past. If you aren't part of it, you see it power up and jump away.
    It doesn't really matter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    why not if your in astronaught mode, or in gravity, you shouldn't be able to see the ship's graphics when it is jumping how about that

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The game currently has no way to detect the difference between "interior" and "exterior." Any way to do so would likely result in a large performance drain from constantly checking "Is this inside?"
    As nice as this idea would be, I don't think it's viable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The game currently has no way to detect the difference between "interior" and "exterior." Any way to do so would likely result in a large performance drain from constantly checking "Is this inside?"
    As nice as this idea would be, I don't think it's viable.
    I'm not sure about that. Didn't they just fix a bug about lighting on exterior surfaces? If they insert a hook into that code it would be mostly done already. This is beyond my depth in programming, tho.

$0.02

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm not sure about that. Didn't they just fix a bug about lighting on exterior surfaces? If they insert a hook into that code it would be mostly done already. This is beyond my depth in programming, tho.

$0.02
    The lighting by the sun is a simple raycast from one direction. It's kind of like the flashlight, but massive and very far away. It is not a complex check for a sealed interior.

As I said earlier- the game currently has no way to check for what is "inside" and what is "outside," and a check to do so would likely not be friendly to performance.

Reaction score
    Well, if you think about it, it doesn't need to calculate inside vs. outside. We'll be getting an O2 mechanism sometime, and that mechanism could be used ---easily, I'd think--- to change the effect based on O2/no O2.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or again, aligned/not aligned to the ship. People who are aligned are carried along with the ship and don't see the effect.

Reaction score
    The lighting by the sun is a simple raycast from one direction. It's kind of like the flashlight, but massive and very far away. It is not a complex check for a sealed interior. As I said earlier- the game currently has no way to check for what is "inside" and what is "outside," and a check to do so would likely not be friendly to performance.
    There will be O2 mechanics that will need to check where the exterior of ships are.

Or again, aligned/not aligned to the ship. People who are aligned are carried along with the ship and don't see the effect.
    That...actually make sense. If your molecules are being manipulated in the exact same way as the ship around you, you couldn't tell the difference.

Non-aligned astronauts could see the visual jump effects on aligned astronauts.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There will be O2 mechanics that will need to check where the exterior of ships are.

That...actually make sense. If your molecules are being manipulated in the exact same way as the ship around you, you couldn't tell the difference.

Non-aligned astronauts could see the visual jump effects on aligned astronauts.
    And if you're on a bridge that views the exterior, or just grappled to the surface...?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We don't know that. All we know is that we're getting some sort of O2. It could just be O2 bubbles, like Galacticraft used to have. Which, personally, sounds a lot more likely to me.

Everything on the outside will still be blue
    How? No way to detect.