Jump Drives and... Stars?: A proposal to expand the effective size of the universe.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That would be part of the fun. You setup your base in a hard to rejoin star to make it that herder to come and get you.
    Yeah, this is the kind of thing that I intended. Instead of just buffering yourself from everyone else by being incredibly far away (boring as hell) you could use the 'terrain' of the game world to your advantage.

Reactions: Nickizzy
    Reaction score
    A system that would need to be implemented would be mulit-step navigation, depending on how long jumps take to charge, and how far they reach, so you could plan a chain of jumps. Even better, you could make chains that you use as highways as through the most efficient route.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A system that would need to be implemented would be mulit-step navigation, depending on how long jumps take to charge, and how far they reach, so you could plan a chain of jumps. Even better, you could make chains that you use as highways as through the most efficient route.
    Yep. Setting multiple waypoints would make this significantly more manageable. Honestly, though, I think things would work fine without it, temporarily. People would just have to get out of the habit of expecting to set a waypoint at their destination and fly in a straight line until they get there. (that wasn't a good travel mechanic anyway, in a game that promotes the idea of having a large universe. "ignore everything but point A and point B" renders that null and void.)

Reaction score
    Yep. Setting multiple waypoints would make this significantly more manageable. Honestly, though, I think things would work fine without it, temporarily. People would just have to get out of the habit of expecting to set a waypoint at their destination and fly in a straight line until they get there. (that wasn't a good travel mechanic anyway, in a game that promotes the idea of having a large universe. "ignore everything but point A and point B" renders that null and void.)
    Also totally doesn't prepare them for orbital mechanics. Imagine if we had that in starmade.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Also totally doesn't prepare them for orbital mechanics. Imagine if we had that in starmade.
    A voxel game like Space Engineers with proper orbital mechanics would be nice. StarMade is the wrong game for that, though.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the op, because
    1. it gives a reason for "fast routes" without making them so ridiculously awesome that everything else becomes awful.
    2. it has an application for navigators during races.
    3. it creates opportunity for all types of FTL: warp-gates (galaxy crossings), jump beacons and regular FTL.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    1. it creates opportunity for all types of FTL: warp-gates (galaxy crossings), jump beacons and regular FTL.
    AND fleet bridges for drive-less ships (requiring strategic locations to stage fleets and open them), AND probably any other form of FTL that you might decide should be implemented. I didn't mention it earlier, but part of the reason I thought this system would be a good idea is that "different stars and conditions change your jump range" can be adapted to fit nearly any FTL system and make it more interesting in the StarMade universe.

Reactions: alterintel

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Somebody plays stellaris:davetongue:
    Eh? The three FTL types in Stellaris pretty well reflect the three typical types of faster-than-light travel you typically see in Sci-Fi. It's kind of hard to determine that that comment comes from Stellaris, lol.