Jump Drive Overcharge

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Currently if you charge your jump drive and then lose some mass (like deploying drones) you can see that the drive retains the extra energy in that it shows a second more opaque slice of charge in the overlay.

These days, the most dangerous thing in the universe for me isn't pirates or stations, its stars. Sun damage from trying to go to a distant system and the course plot goes too near a star has cost me more blocks and outright ships than any pirate king could dream of.

So, what if we made that "You lose mass, now the jump drive is overcharged" mechanic we already see into an intentional one and let us overcharge the drive to double capacity?

Charge up two jumps maximum at a time instead of just one, so that we can keep a jump in reserve (should we so choose) in case we fall out of warp on top of a star?

Currently, I try to put a secondary jump drive with a slow charge on my ships just so that I can keep an emergency jump handy, would be nice if I could use the main drive and not need redundant systems that I have to switch to just to avoid the fact there is no warning that you're about to fly directly into a sun...

Reaction score
    Have you tried the chain drives? I have noticed that you don't stay in place long enough to take star damage. I'm not sure its the mass that causes the problem or the fact that the jump drive system has been hit. To me it would make sense that if a jump drive collective takes damage it would need to be recharged.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You can build really fast charging drives with loads of jump modules and power, but the sun always wins I find, because the modules implode preventing you from charging at all.

I know, because I accidently jumped right into a sun with my lovely harvester only to watch it rapidly get eaten and I couldn't jump.

So, even with a secondary jump drive you would be cooked!

I recommend not flying into suns. Plot your courses carefully. I check the map to see what pirates stations and suns my ship will pass by and replot around them if they do.

Hopefully chain waypoints or orders will be brought into play so we can automate the whole process.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Chaindrives allow you to take a dive into a star and survive, actually, since you jump again before the heat damage kicks in. Even if you do take damage, you're probably still going to be able to get out, since the chain drive is so small.