Jump Drive Math

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    After some amount of testing of the jump drive system, I believe I have now discovered all the relevant formulas that govern it, and as such have elected to make this thread, to expose them to the community as a whole, so that players may make more informed decisions about the relative size of their jump drive arrays, based on their needs.

At this point, I am too tired to add reasonable detail on my methods of testing and the formula based upon said testing, but I may do so later, and almost certainly will if there is sufficient demand for that information. I also intend to rearrange the formulas so that the spreadsheet can also find the required jump drive size for a ship of X mass to achieve Y charge time, and similar functions. Considering all of this, I suppose that this is actually still WIP, to some extent, so you all have my apologies for that.

There are a few important concepts which must be noted before using the spreadsheet. Firstly, the 'charge' measurements mentioned in the details of a jump drive computer, are, as far as my testing suggests, synonymous with power. Either it is a different unit with a 1:1 ratio between it and power, or it is the same unit under a different name. Secondly, the "power requirement for charge (/sec)" value displayed in the weapons menu when inspecting a jump drive computer, is, well, blatantly incorrect. When divided by the number of jump drive blocks in an array, though, it yields the actual power usage per second for the array in question.

Having explained these few details, here is the relevant spreadsheet, which can provide information on the stats of a particular jump drive array, when given the total block count of the ship, and the block count of the jump drive array.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mhM8Rj7ouoX6Dum2q3zPbti2zq6mQHd3eDn1t1X1c54/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Additional details on the workings of jump drives in general will be listed below, for those not already aware of such things:
    • A ship can be fitted with multiple jump drive computers. These must be charged separately, but can all hold charge simultaneously. Along with the fact that these extra computers are not effected by the 10 second post-jump cooldown (a new computer can be activated immediately after one jump completes), this could possibly lead to "burst-jumping" ships which have a long preparation time, but can travel great distances in very short times when required. This also allows for pre-prepared emergency jumps, should you find yourself in a particularly unpleasant situation.
    • Jump drives can be charged and activated while cloaked, jammed, or both. Stealthy jumping ships are a definite possibility.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    AMAZING, Really useful, can I put it on excel and save it on my computer?

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Thanks, I'm glad you appreciate it! Feel free to download it, if there is a way to do so. If not, I'll make up an Excel version at some point so that you can do so.

Reaction score
    Great thread, I played around with the values a bit. My next jumping ship should be much better :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This will indeed see service while designing my jump freighter vessels.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Very interesting. I'm sure a lot of players, myself included will make good use of this calculator.

The multiple jump drive computers bit is pretty interesting. I've got a feeling it might get changed in the future since that seems pretty OP in a way. Scouts could make great use of that for emergency escapes or hit and run attacks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.