JnJ R&D Lab

Which container would you use?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Hey guys o/

I figured I should finally post a topic for the various maybe-to-be-finished projects we go through while playing.
    I'll save the fancy photo editing and bigger project listing for when I've got more spare time.

For now I want to focus on my latest obsession: Cargo containers.
    Over the last couple days, I've been working on different container shapes and mechanisms to see which would work out better for delivery/RP. Some of you may have already downloaded my Stacking container (found here).
    I wanted to keep it within a build size of 5 x 5 x 13, with the ability to stack vertically onto each other. I thought I was done when I hit the 18 storage and nowhere else to go. Then Crusade showed me what he came up with at that size, which gave me even more ideas on how to make a different/better container.
    ---
    This is the current version of what I now call the Tube container.
    starmade-screenshot-0216.png
    The more I looked at it, the more clunky and excessive it seemed. It has a single rail down the center that pushes out the tube of storage blocks. It's hard to get into the core to move it around, and you can get stuck inside when trying to exit really easily.
    ---
    After some messing around with shape and logic, I then came up with...
    starmade-screenshot-0223.png
    A side-door accessible container using rotators. It only has 14 storage compared to the 18 of the Tube, but this one does it with a bit more flair. When it's closed, it looks practically identical to the Tube, with a bit of modification to fit the rotating doors. Either side has 7 storage blocks, but the center two beside the core are "Pull" storage, linked to the rest so you can pull something from the other side if you can't get the door open.

It's lighter, takes up less space when opened, and easier to get in and out of. stacks the same way as the Tube, but with buttons on all 4 corners to open either side.

What I need from you guys is some input. My partner and I at JnJ cannot agree over which container to use for shipments.
    Read through this, compare the pictures, provide some input if you have any! But make sure to cast a vote in the poll (so I can rub it in his face when the Flappy container wins over the Tube... #nobias)

Thanks!

Reactions: Rumcajz and Nauvran

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    flappy door. #nobias

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Even though flappy door won the vote, he refuses to adopt their superiority on the grounds that they don't look good on the bottom...
    I'm open to suggestions for opening mechanisms.