Java? Why not a different programming language?

SKC

Reaction score
    I've searched for information on this for at least an hour and I can't find why a game of this scope was programmed with Java.

Does anyone know?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been frequently asked.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Java is known for it's extreme compatibility.
    Also, if one knows how, java isn't limiting at all.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    No one knows, except maybe for the Great Grey One.
    Although not being a fan of Java myself, what would you consider "a language with more options"?

(inb4 C-Shit)

Reactions: Andir

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    From what I can tell, schema started making the Schine engine back when Java was still very popular for alot of things, so it probably made sense at the time.

SKC

Reaction score
    From what I can tell, schema started making the Schine engine back when Java was still very popular for alot of things, so it probably made sense at the time.
    So is the plan to finish the game in Java as much as it can be, then if enough people buy them game rewrite it with a different coding language into a version with features that Java doesn't as easily allow? Is there any progress map on that or is this game Java and it won't evolve beyond it?

I think the game is great but I'd like it to have options available so there won't be a moment when the dev(s) say, "Well, we can't do that because of Java, so... I guess we can't do that." The scope of this game is amazing and I don't want to see it limited.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This game would perform alot better if it wasn't written in java.

Reaction score
    Java still is very popular in enterprise environments, but never really was for games. If I had to guess: The development time suggests that schema started writing his engine when he still was at university. And since Java is the only¹ language they ever teach you there…

I think the game is great but I'd like it to have options available so there won't be a moment when the dev(s) say, "Well, we can't do that because of Java, so... I guess we can't do that." The scope of this game is amazing and I don't want to see it limited.
    Can you please just give one example of what you're talking about?

¹ Unless you're very lucky.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Java is portable. This means the potato processor in a Dreamcast VMU could run a server. Have I tried? No. >:3 not yet.
    Java is well supported. Ever wonder why Oracle keeps bugging you to update your java install every 4 months?
    Java is object oriented. Keeping your code organized becomes loads easier when you know your includes, objects and libraries.

Don't judge Java based on the bad coding skill used in other games. Just don't. Your car, your DVR, your printer and your freaking watch probably all run on Java or incorporate it somehow. If it was so terrible and unreliable it wouldn't have that market share. We'd all be running on Microsoft Visual Basic. Is that what you want? A Visual Basic world??

That's my Java rant. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    You leave me no choice. :P
    Java is portable. This means the potato processor in a Dreamcast VMU could run a server.
    No. The number of operating systems and architectures supported by Java is actually very small compared to the number of OSes and architectures out there. Also, the LWJGL StarMade is built on only supports Linux, OS X and Windows, and only the x86 architecture.

Java is object oriented.
    That still doesn't explain why StarMade is written in Java, instead of the much better C++, for instance.

Your car, your DVR, your printer and your freaking watch probably all run on Java or incorporate it somehow. If it was so terrible and unreliable it wouldn't have that market share.
    One could think you're talking about Linux. :P

We'd all be running on Microsoft Visual Basic. Is that what you want? A Visual Basic world??
    We'd all be running native code, compiled from C. And yes, a C only world would certainly not be that bad.

Reactions: Titansmasher
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    C++ would be better and not require as much ram to run the dam game.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    You leave me no choice. :p

No. The number of operating systems and architectures supported by Java is actually very small compared to the number of OSes and architectures out there. Also, the LWJGL StarMade is built on only supports Linux, OS X and Windows, and only the x86 architecture.

That still doesn't explain why StarMade is written in Java, instead of the much better C++, for instance.

One could think you're talking about Linux. :p

We'd all be running native code, compiled from C. And yes, a C only world would certainly not be that bad.
    No, my dear der. No one is hold anyone hostage at laser pistol point. You had the choice to not post. :3

We can continue this in PM. Altho it is on-topic I doubt it'll be constructive to the thread.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Java is portable. This means the potato processor in a Dreamcast VMU could run a server. Have I tried? No. >:3 not yet.
    Java is well supported. Ever wonder why Oracle keeps bugging you to update your java install every 4 months?
    Java is object oriented. Keeping your code organized becomes loads easier when you know your includes, objects and libraries.

Don't judge Java based on the bad coding skill used in other games. Just don't. Your car, your DVR, your printer and your freaking watch probably all run on Java or incorporate it somehow. If it was so terrible and unreliable it wouldn't have that market share. We'd all be running on Microsoft Visual Basic. Is that what you want? A Visual Basic world??

That's my Java rant. Thanks for listening.
    I could hug you, the agree button, your computer, even your ISP, for making or allowing you to make this post

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    One simple reason for java, I guess: it is an academic language, e.g. learning it (usually a nice byproduct of university :D) and applying it to stuff doesn't cause you to loose 20 years of your estimated lifetime in health as C++ would.

Java produces lengthy but very readable code, and for a game like this you really need object orientation (which C++ would also offer, but again, at the cost of your sanity).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The skill of the programmer matters far more than the language she or he uses. There isn't some magic language that solves all the problems in the world. The game was written in Java and as such Java is the correct language to use.

Reactions: Ithirahad

SKC

Reaction score
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. It sounds like there's a divide among people who think Java is fine, and for others who think C++ has something to offer that might be beneficial.

I realize I haven't been clear in some of my comments so I'll to fix that.

In the simplest phrase I can think, was GTA 5 written in Java? Why or why not?[DOUBLEPOST=1418059729,1418059557][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The skill of the programmer matters far more than the language she or he uses. There isn't some magic language that solves all the problems in the world. The game was written in Java and as such Java is the correct language to use.
    This is true to the extent that the skilled programmer isn't already using something with bottlenecks. There are technical limitations with each coding language, so if the programmer is skilled you'd want to be using a program that can match that skill level, or whatever that specific program excelled at, right?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Because it's not StarMade. GTA V is a crime sandbox. StarMade is a UNIVERSE. Fully destructible. Full customization support.
    And how many coders did GTA V have?

Well StarMade has ONE.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You must be one of those who are afraid of change and new ideas.. it's ok, change is the only thing constant. War, you can be the very best programmer, but a game is limited by its skill of a programmer and his language of choice. Java is known for memory leaks. While C++ performs much better for games, and is the most commonly used language for higher in and better performing games. It also performs rendering and graphics better as well. Since most of this game(code) is centered around its graphics, the game would run alot better if the language could support the game's graphics better.

SKC

Reaction score
    Because it's not StarMade. GTA V is a crime sandbox. StarMade is a UNIVERSE. Fully destructible. Full customization support.

Well StarMade has ONE.
    You kind of missed my point and drew the wrong analogy.

Why didn't Rockstar use all their coders for GTA 5 to build the game with Java? The fact they didn't use Java says something, right? That's what I'm trying to understand. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2

Well StarMade has ONE.
    Are you serious. GTA 5 made a billion dollars, how much did SM make?