Jamming and "Stealth" in space

Reaction score
    I read through every topic on this topic before trying to post here, so I hope I got them all before throwing my idea out.

Anyway, I've been playing this game for awhile and I finally bought it on steam to help support everybody and after playing with it even more I decided to join the forum and throw my own take on things in.

The first element is jamming. Now I'm not sure what system that is being modeled as far as detection of other bodies/vessels goes, but I assume it is some kind of omni-radar or some kind of passive infrared/visual system. With the addition of the sensor computer and modules I would assume even more that this would be the case.

So trying to be brief: Active sensors use acoustic or electromagnetic waves to detect signals by comparing the time it takes for a signal sent out to when it is returned. These signals can be checked for direction to get a pretty good idea of the elevation, azimuth and range of a target. Ignoring the fact that active sensors give away their position (as long as the target being pinged has an antenna that can read the wavelength it is being hit with), these sensors are pretty reliable.

Jamming falls into two broad categories: Broadband/Barrage and Deception Jamming. A barrage jamming basically floods a wavelength with garbage to essentially blind the receiver to the actual return. On a radar screen it looks like a big cone of lines instead of a neat blip. Deception jamming creates false wavelengths that replicate a true radar return. This creates multiple blips that are totally false with one true one buried in them.

When you jam in the real world, everyone anywhere who can sense the wavelength you are jamming on knows you're there (you're transmitting after all) but they can still acquire you in azimuth and elevation, just not range. (Unless you get too close, then they can "burn through" the jamming. They can even acquire you with their transmitter off as long as their receiver is working.

The game jammer is the ultimate because the opponents don't know they've been jammed and they have no reason to suspect anything. And where I get confused is that you have no active emissions, so what is really being jammed?

My suggestion is this:
    Leave the in-game jammer the way it is, but add two effects: The first is that on the 3d system map of the ships being jammed there appears to be random red dots appearing in strange places that come and go (this simulates the deception jamming) and second, when the jamming ship is targeted, there is no range information unless you are right on top of it.

For the second part I leave you with this article (an amazing website too if you don't know it):
    http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

The short version: There is no stealth in space. The background of space is 3 Kelvin. Your body is about ~310 Kelvin. In other words, on a thermal scanner you'd stick out like the moon on a clear night, even at interplanetary ranges.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is no stealth in space. The background of space is 3 Kelvin. Your body is about ~310 Kelvin.
    I totally agree. This is what the difference between Radar Jamming and Cloaking is (at least in my mind)

Radar Jamming:
    exactly as explained above. No blip on the screen, or at least no one blip. Instead there would be a line or streak across the radar screen because you would only be able to tell what direction the "disturbance" is. There should be no information on the target as well. Name, Mass, Power, Shields, Structure, Armor, Range... all Unknown. Basically the only thing you would know is what direction it was. The only thing that would be able to hit the target would be heat seekers, dumb fire missiles, or optical tracking( Mk1 Eye Ball) NPC's or players.

In-game mechanics: AI can't hit Radar Jammed targets (just like it is now). However, if you get close enough for visual targeting, a player or NPC could effectively fire at the target.

Cloaking:
    Well the idea behind this is a cloak of invisibility. It hides/nullifies/cancels out all emissions (thermal, electric, acoustic, and other wise). This would be a very complex system, kind of like noise canceling headphones, big enough for an entire ship, and much more sophisticated. The more active systems and people on your ship, the more difficult it would be to cloak it. This would logically dictate that a ship would have to "go silent" to pull off an effective cloak.
    Going silent would include powering down all but basic life support and propulsion.

In-game mechanics: Currently it just makes you invisible to the eye, but a radar can still see you. This doesn't seem like it makes much sense.

My suggestion: All emitters would have to be turned off, so no radar (visual tracking only), no jammer, no shield "emitters". The Cloak would need enough power to cancel the amount of power being used by the ship plus It would have to extend the field to the dimensions of your ship. So the bigger it is the harder it is to cloak. So lets say the Cloak would need ten times the energy being used by the ship, plus a function of the ship dimensions (i'm going to use a really simple function X*Y*Z). So for example if your ship is using 5K per second (enough for propulsion), and it was 120 X 95 X 20 meters big. So 10 times the energy to cancel the power usage equals 50K per second to cancel the 5K of the ship. Plus 228K for the dimensions (120*95*20). So it would cost 278K per second to cloak the ship. OF course the actual algorithms used in game would have to be balanced a bit more.

Just a thought :)

Reaction score
    yes, what you say is true but you have to remember this is a game, now that does not mean realism should be ignored just that it is important that a mechanic such as stealth has to have a gameplay use and be balanced. this suggestion is not, it makes jamming useless because you can select the ship - radar jamming works with cloaking because you CANT select it. being able to select it but not see the range is useless anyway because you can just shoot and guess the range using weapons as a "radar" your shot being what is sent out and the hit marker you feedback.

this just makes no sense as far as game play use goes and so should not be added.

Reaction score
    I understand that it is a game, but so is Call of Duty. You can have a "realistic" aspect without interfering with game play. In the case of the jamming, all you're doing is balancing/improving the jamming with a visual cue for the ships being jammed. My suggestion would be some random blips and/or streaks as alterintel mentioned. The point being that if you jam you let people know that you're out there but for now you can't be pinpointed.

As for the cloaking, this is a different issue probably left for another topic. I don't even want to figure that one out. And then there is heat rejection in space...oy.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can't really take real world current technology and compare them to fantasy aspects of a future space game. We have energy shields in Starmade, you can completely negate high energy fire from your enemies so why wouldn't it be possible for the radar jammer from the future to hide all signals from your ship? Maybe the shields of the ship absorb 100% of the electromagnetic energy used to scan for ships. I know that's one of the aspects of shielding in my lore.