I've just built my first capital ship!

Reaction score
    I finally finished my first full size capital ship (A small 4th Rate Ship of the Line by most people's standards, but still a proper line of battle ship)... 651m Long, 40-60 drones, 4 mine launchers, a detailed hangar bay that holds numerous smaller ships... full RP interior... concealed turrets, logic elevators, moving armour panels, two "modes of battle" (Red alert and Yellow Alert)...

Now... after about 140+ hours of building time... does anyone know how to rotate the core 180 degrees?

*Collapses in a heap in the corner and cries*

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I finally finished my first full size capital ship (A small 4th Rate Ship of the Line by most people's standards, but still a proper line of battle ship)... 651m Long, 40-60 drones, 4 mine launchers, a detailed hangar bay that holds numerous smaller ships... full RP interior... concealed turrets, logic elevators, moving armour panels, two "modes of battle" (Red alert and Yellow Alert)...

Now... after about 140+ hours of building time... does anyone know how to rotate the core 180 degrees?

There's no rotating the core, nor is there any hope of a feature to do so being implemented, due to the way Starmade's data structure works.

Reaction score
    First: Oh my! Sorry but i found this to be kind of hilarious and simply had laugh uppon reading this. Maybe partly because i too have to do something similar some time.

Now to business:
    There is some third party software in the community content capable of rotating structures around the core. But i am not so confident that they are working with the current version of the game.

What i often do is to use copy/cut and paste since i can rotate the selections.
    The game usually can't handle large sections. This means the ship has to be cut in nice slices and stored as templates or so.
    It can be quite some work. Especially if you cut modules of their computers. But it get's the job done.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's...so sad...Really feel sorry for you. Lord Daro has it pretty much right, the most assured way is reconstruction via templates/copypaste.

Reaction score
    That really is sad. But in single player you can increase block copy size by a large amount. That might help with chopping up the ship. Keep in mind templating break connections so it will ruin any logic, slave block or other connection when you do it.

I know you can pull off 30^3 in 8 quadrants with mostly not crashing the client depending on your system power, so maybe working on your own server with 60^3 sections might work.

SMEdit is the other tool they are talking about which can do rotation. But it doesn't like recent Starmade blueprints and will error out.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Copy-paste it in segments onto a new core, in the right orientation. You'll have to redock everything, though... That's what I did for a turret that I (intentionally) built sideways. The turret in question was 550m long and 100k mass.

It's not that bad to be honest, if you're willing to share the blueprint I could even do it for you (maybe, pm it to me and I'll see what can be done. I won't look at the systems or share it).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ouch, i havnt had to rotate it, but i once moved the core in a 500m ship via copy paste.
    You can increase the build area in the configs and try to rotate the whole ship around the core that way, but that requieres some hardware power.

Should you not have said hardware power available, you could ask those with more powerfull PCs if they would be so kind to give it a try. I may not have the most powerfull pc, but i can give it a try if you want to.

Reaction score

I feel your pain, bro... so much pain.

As people have said, there is as of this moment no known means of rotating the core. However, I'm working on a ship editor that will have this functionality.
    (UPDATE 2 - 2/14/2016) Coding an external ship editor
    core rotation won't be a feature that happens right away. However, if you're in a hurry you can give me the blueprint and I can see if I can rotate the core myself using what I have of the editor. Best estimate is it will be done by sometime next week... However you would also loose all logic and system connections... and you may need to re-dock everything. Still, if you want it done, I can probably do it.

[PS, to connect large amounts of blocks at once in Starmade, I think you hold ctrl and press c/v. This SHOULD let you connect, for example, a Cannon Computer to all AM cannons next to the block you select.

Reactions: Lecic

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I feel your pain, bro... so much pain.

As people have said, there is as of this moment no known means of rotating the core. However, I'm working on a ship editor that will have this functionality.
    (UPDATE 2 - 2/14/2016) Coding an external ship editor
    core rotation won't be a feature that happens right away. However, if you're in a hurry you can give me the blueprint and I can see if I can rotate the core myself using what I have of the editor. Best estimate is it will be done by sometime next week... However you would also loose all logic and system connections... and you may need to re-dock everything. Still, if you want it done, I can probably do it.

[PS, to connect large amounts of blocks at once in Starmade, I think you hold ctrl and press c/v. This SHOULD let you connect, for example, a Cannon Computer to all AM cannons next to the block you select.
    Look at the dates ;)