Issues with rendering glass

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Right now, if you put multiple glass blocks together, you will see the faces of the glass blocks behind the first. If you stack many glass blocks, eventually the added transparent textures will eventually make the surface not transparent.

Though the texture of the glass is seamless, you can still clearly see the individual blocks of glass as each block is rendered behind the last.

I believe that if the faces of the glass blocks behind the surface glass (or what the player's client can see) would simply not render, it would give the surface of the glass construct the actual appearance of being one continuous glass plate.

Thoughts?

edit: Someone mentioned this may be a bug with OpenGL. I admit 100% that I am not a programmer of any sort, but I wonder, why does this issue have to do with transparency? Surely blocks at the core of a ship are not rendered if you cannot see them- or am I wrong? If they are, could 'hidden' glass blocks simply not be rendered?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm fairly certain that anything in your *view* is rendered. This article explains how I think the system somewhat works;
    http://www.lighthouse3d.com/tutorials/view-frustum-culling/
    "In the figure above all the green stuff (totally inside the view frustum) and all the yellow stuff (partially inside) would be rendered, whereas the red stuff will not be rendered. Note that the green sphere is not visible (it is occluded by the yellow ellipse), but it will be rendered anyway because it is inside the view frustum."