Is there anything I should know?

Reaction score
    So, a few years back, I saw the Yogscast play StarMade, when it was a game similar to SE, then forgot about it, about a year later, I found SE, wanting that one quite badly. Upon being able to buy SE, I found out that it probably was too heavy for my system. Then I found StarMade again, and now I wanna buy it.

Is there anything I should know before buying StarMade? Common bugs, glitches, if they are frequent, how to avoid crashes, etc?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Is there anything I should know before buying StarMade?
    You do not have to buy the game. It is currently free to play.

Just register an account then download the game from this site.

Look at the very top menu bar on this site under Registry and Downloads.

Welcome to StarMade!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1) The copy you can buy and the free copy are exactly the same. Only thing buying it now will get you is a shiny forum badge, the knowledge you helped fund development, and not having to buy it again at a much higher price when it eventually launches for real.

2) Its a lot like Minecraft in that you kinda have to know what to do before you start doing it. There are lots of youtube videos for that though. Try Bench's channel on youtube: Bench

3) Best way to figure things out really is to mess around in creative mode, learn how to build stuff, then you can do survival once you have some idea of what to do.

Reaction score
    Ok, is there also a difference on downloading other vessels made by people when you download from steam?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No, the only difference in the Steam version is that you need Steam running to play it. I personally detest Steam and refuse to use it unless I have no other choice, so I prefer the stand alone version here.

The launcher already keeps everything up to date (lot like Blizzard's launchers), so there really is no reason to use Steam unless you just actually like Steam.

Reaction score
    No, the only difference in the Steam version is that you need Steam running to play it. I personally detest Steam and refuse to use it unless I have no other choice, so I prefer the stand alone version here.

The launcher already keeps everything up to date (lot like Blizzard's launchers), so there really is no reason to use Steam unless you just actually like Steam.
    Well, I do enjoy steam, I just downloaded the Demo from steam.
    But what if I want to share my blueprints on the forums? Like, how do I upload them to a post here?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok, is there also a difference on downloading other vessels made by people when you download from steam?
    No it is all the same. Though getting them in the game can be a bit different depending on how they saved or compressed the blueprint.

This site has everything you could ever want. Just look under Community Content.

You need to use the ships catalogu manager. It is in the StarMade Menu under Mods and Tools. If you run StarMade full screen you need to Alt Tab to bring it foreward. It opens in a new Window under that of StarMade.

Reaction score
    You need to use the ships catalogu manager. It is in the StarMade Menu under Mods and Tools. If you run StarMade full screen you need to Alt Tab to bring it foreward. It opens in a new Window under that of StarMade.
    So it's very easy to get the blueprints from the game files, even if you downloaded it from steam?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So it's very easy to get the blueprints from the game files, even if you downloaded it from steam?
    Yeah, you'll just have to find the install folder.

You can export blueprints in game, and then they should be in... I think this is the folder structure for the default steam installation:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starmade\blueprints\exported