Is there a way to move the "server not responding" window?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In build mode, the "server not responding" red window pops up directly over where I am trying to re-orient shaped blocks on the right side of the screen. It also happens to cover the Y and Z size sliders. Is there a way to move that "server not responding" window over to the left side of the screen? I don't mind as much if the overall ship stats are covered over for a while. Conversely, is there a way to switch the locations of the ship stats and the advanced mode build controls? (I use 1280x720 resolution, so that's why it happens to be in this location.) I have attempted to mouse-grab and move the error window with no results.

Quote from the GUI update news:

"Every window can now be resized and moved. Also the position of each window is saved and restored even after exiting the game."

Does this apply to error windows? If not, can that be added to the feature list in the future?

Reactions: Gristle

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yes, there is!

There is a config file for all the HUD elements. You can find the xml file at Starmade/data/config/gui/HudConfig.xml

Find the lines;

<PopupMessage>
    <BasicValues>
    <PopoutTimeInSec>0.3</PopoutTimeInSec>
    <DistFromTop>138</DistFromTop>
    <DistFromRight>-10</DistFromRight>
    <StackedDistanceX>20</StackedDistanceX>
    </BasicValues>
    </PopupMessage>

To move them around the screen, you have 2 offset controls on the X and Y. DistFromTop and DistFromRight. The area used by the notification is 256x128. (but - 10 pixels width to account for the actual image file content)

I think for your screen resolution, set the DistFromRight to 1054. (Might need minor corrections)

Alternatively, if you want to completely hide them, push them off screen with <DistFromRight>-260</DistFromRight> (dont forget the - )

Note; The notifications are seen as an entire entity. All notification types will follow the above rule set, there is no filter for them currently.

As you may of guessed from looking in the file, almost everything shown on the HUD can be moved, flipped or aligned to different screen location via this config file. As time goes on, we hope to have more functionality added.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, it helps! Thank you so much, kupu! :)

Update: I pre-adjusted the X value to 1048, and it works great. It's even a tiny-bit above the overall ship stat readout, so it obscures nothing now. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, there is!

There is a config file for all the HUD elements. You can find the xml file at Starmade/data/config/gui/HudConfig.xml

Find the lines;

<PopupMessage>
    <BasicValues>
    <PopoutTimeInSec>0.3</PopoutTimeInSec>
    <DistFromTop>138</DistFromTop>
    <DistFromRight>-10</DistFromRight>
    <StackedDistanceX>20</StackedDistanceX>
    </BasicValues>
    </PopupMessage>

To move them around the screen, you have 2 offset controls on the X and Y. DistFromTop and DistFromRight. The area used by the notification is 256x128. (but - 10 pixels width to account for the actual image file content)

I think for your screen resolution, set the DistFromRight to 1054. (Might need minor corrections)

Alternatively, if you want to completely hide them, push them off screen with <DistFromRight>-260</DistFromRight> (dont forget the - )

Note; The notifications are seen as an entire entity. All notification types will follow the above rule set, there is no filter for them currently.

As you may of guessed from looking in the file, almost everything shown on the HUD can be moved, flipped or aligned to different screen location via this config file. As time goes on, we hope to have more functionality added.

Hope that helps.
    Wow. Didn't know this at all; while I probably won't use it this is a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL feature and I can't wait to see what people can make using it along with retexturing of the GUI. :D

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm finally getting around to explaining how to customise the new HUD layouts and small guides on creating your own UI sprite sets.
    The start of it here; http://starmadedock.net/threads/modding-the-hud-user-interface.6667/

It'll be in instalments, but hopefully some of you will find it useful, even if it's just to remove notifications or shift things around relative to your resolutions.

In time i hope to showcase how to create your own assets for it to create your own themes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Huzzah, this is so useful! I've found scanners absolutely infuriating because their 'scanner charged' message constantly blocks my ability to see the orientation of the blocks I'm placing.