Is there a setting for the planet size?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    To be blunt, I find the planets ridiculously small. Is there a something I can do to make them generate bigger as well as their gravity envelope?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    yes. look near the bottom of server.cfg, there is 2. the basic size, and how much it can deviate from that size to make some basic differences in planets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok I found:

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 175.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 100.0 //Planet size standard deviation (normal gaussian distribution) (min 0)

If these are the right lines, how would I go about manipulating them to inflate planets?

Reaction score
    Is there a config setting for switching back to flat planets?

..and yes its like trying to land on a marble. sometimes the landscape ,rocks, cliffs, etc, leaves pretty much no place to land. I admit it. I was all for these roundish (yeah. I know there is a proper name, but cant think of it right now-trying to keep my feeble train of thought instead) planets, but they are almost anti-fun. I wouldn't even dream of trying to make a base on one of them. Although... I don't have the "jump up in the air, and I'm no longer aligned and gravity has been neutralized glitch". (this pretty much doesn't happen anymore, not sure if I've been lucky, or its been fixed - I just don't try landing much anymore) A lot of the time I can't seem to land without just ditching (ship as low as possible to the ground/surface and pressing "r") and just hoping for the best. It works sometimes, but most of the time my ship sits down, but I get lost down in the block void trying to salvage beam my way up to the surface. These sorts of things should not be a commonality when trying to land/navigate planets. Has anyone else had a planet they are approaching just up and disappear?! I have. how about the corners of the planet surface being generated/rendered, but no surface generating/rendering itself at all, as it normally does the closer you get. I'm sure than more of few of you have similar tales to tell. Let me say now that yes I realize the game is in alpha, and for alpha it rocks, but I'd rather relate this so the devs know a little more, just in case there is an outside chance they are unaware, of some the challenges planets exhibit to the players.

I know there is at least one game out there with square planets and maybe that's one of the reasons the devs chose to go another and maybe better direction, rather than seem like they are copying something out of some other game... but the planets are just not consistently useable/playable in as such as landing and having room to walk around compared to our flat planets of yore. I now see just how good we had it.

What I'd love to see are bigger planets (flat) and fewer of them a in system, if that is what it would take to even things out performance wise. Not too big though as I have a AMD based system with integrated gpu's, and this game lags every time a station is in view, (something I need to figure out on my system, and not the games fault, I'm 99.9% sure) ...so I wouldn't want planets to cause the same problem. maybe the close proximity of the planet sides being angled away, but not perpendicular to each other, along with the gravity sources for each side, maybe causes glitches, who knows. In humble opinion, planets really need a rethink. Another anomaly is when a ship is not, I'm guess "not firmly" landed on the ground and the games decides to pop it up and hopes it lands in better spot. I had ships "pop" up off of the ground and flipped over, and at times, ships even thrown over into the space between adjacent planets faces. Yeah maybe my eyeballing where to land on the surface of a these marbles needs some work, but still.

but... um... yeah. I'm kinda not too fond of the planets as they are either. Not gonna even come close to stopping me from playing though. Patience is a virtue in alpha games. Devs better not EVEN think I' aint playing the %^#%#$ out of this game either. (Oh yeah - please forgive my sad writing and cohesive thinking skills)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm hoping that if I make the planet large enough, it will make landing easier.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well I have increased the planets to size 500. It's definitely a meatier planet, but the game is having trouble with generating. It keeps running out of memory, and the max segments in graphics memory is already set to 20000. I don't suppose anyone knows how to increase the memory to any amount.

Edit: NVM I just used this video

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.