Is slow travel a contributing factor to the decline of PvP?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The universe simulation/unloaded AI ship tracking feature is probably mostly for things like roaming AI fleets and sending things from bases to attack enemies without the in-between space being filled. Can it technically be used for sending AI ships out to mine? Sure! Will that specific feature be implemented with it? Eh, probably not yet. But we'll see... Schine has surprised us before :p

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't think a "spoils of war" system is remotely close to necessary. The spoils of war are the wrecks you salvage and the territory you take.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't think a "spoils of war" system is remotely close to necessary. The spoils of war are the wrecks you salvage and the territory you take.
    Except that wrecking something contains so much loss that the effort is fruitless, counting the risk and lack of opportunity.
    And except that territory is free - you don't need exactly that territory jet.

Perhaps in a future release of SM, your argument is valid, but not the current version. Who says everyone knows about what is planed or can imagine the consequences of this?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Except that wrecking something contains so much loss that the effort is fruitless, counting the risk and lack of opportunity.
    And except that territory is free - you don't need exactly that territory jet.

Perhaps in a future release of SM, your argument is valid, but not the current version. Who says everyone knows about what is planed or can imagine the consequences of this?
    I'm talking about the future of the game, obviously. Of course the current game doesn't have territory being useful. Can you make a post that's actually useful?

Also, devs have said multiple times that territory being important is going to be in the game in the future, so... I think my assumption that the reason to fight is that you can win territory is decently justified.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Says Lecic, not accounting for all but the very last posts.
    "Territory is important" does not imply "exactly this sector is important and it has no alternative".
    Also you never know if you couldn't alternatively run special-ops cloaked missions to not have to fight.

I'm talking about the future of the game, obviously.
    Not obvious. The idea was started by
    Nickizzy, which joined 2 month ago and only has 113 messages at the time of writing this post.
    Can you make a post that's actually useful?
    Same for you :p

To clarify:
    I don't say it is necessary, just that territory might not be enough - depending on the unknown details of implementation.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    "Territory is important" does not imply "exactly this sector is important and it has no alternative".
    If territory is going to be a reason to fight, which has been stated, I'm going to assume "this sector is important to fight over" is happening.

Also you never know if you couldn't alternatively run special-ops cloaked missions to not have to fight.
    I'd like you to go over a situation in which you could steal an entire base with a cloaker, assuming the AI will be able to use things like scanners.

Not obvious. The idea was started by
    Nickizzy, which joined 2 month ago and only has 113 messages at the time of writing this post.
    Yeah, uh... this makes no sense? I'm obviously talking about the future of the game when I say "territory will be important and something to fight over." I'm not sure what the post count of a guy who has suggested that breaking blocks should give you salvage matters in this discussion.

Reaction score
    I think some lower-cost alternative pvp interactions could be cool. Say you have a mining station/base(would have to have a openness requirement I guess? IDK, that's tricky), you can go down in a transport(higher chance of evading system/turret defenses, in addition to high speed and low cost) and fight on land(crew, and higher stats for vehicles perhaps? gotta be some reason to make non-ships) to sabatoge/destroy the installation. Could have some kind of blockade run mission if you give another player a reason to patrol an area, too.
    Perhaps even a new player could attack fringe outposts of a faction.

*disclaimer: never been part of a faction, only played some online. game's just underdeveloped for me and requires too much time, IMO.*
    Which brings me to...
    Factions.
    For one, I don't want to feel like I'm part of politics, or something with the potential for childish drama(redundancies ahoy).

IMO, I think there shouldn't be too much of a requirement for regular logins, for those less dedicated or with unknown schedules. So the faction point system may need some sort of thing to compensate for this, not penalizing too much for inactive members.
    (perhaps depending on rank? then there'd have to be a gameplay tradeoff for said rank.)
    Maybe even the potential for freelance PvP jobs? The only problem is a large faction hunting you down, war is kind of an all-or-nothing status.

I'd like to reiterate the following point:
    it doesn't matter how fast you can travel. People who don't want to be bothered by greifing will always build 10 to 20 minutes away from spawn.

if there was a method to travel even faster, then people would just build further out.
    Agreed. It should be very easy to travel across the haystacks, but difficult to find a needle in them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: alterintel