Is pulse uselles as master?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The title is very simple, and so is my question.
    Cannons (everything will be considered as master unit) are good against small targets, drilling and against missiles.
    Missiles are good for everything except anti missile deffence.
    Beams - also drilling, against shields (i do not use beams that much so i do not use them for anything else)

But for what can i use pulse? It has an absurde range that makes it realy hard to use it.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Currently only feasable as anti-astronaut protection, reusable-warheads, and deco.

Reaction score
    Can you use logic on pulse? I can imagine you could use it on Bobby AI controlled ships or even have it pulse every now and then throughout your ship to prevent anyone from boarding or getting too close, but not much more than that

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Currently only feasable as anti-astronaut protection, reusable-warheads, and deco.
    I use Beams for anti astronaut protection ( activated with area trigers trough the lenght of a hallway).
    The warhead is plausable, but than again you still need to redock/respawn them.
    Deco - this....the pulsing engine or a pulsing energy core

My point was that it is very limmited in ship to ship combat, even more if those 2 ships are anything bigger than a corrvete as you would need to get realy close to your enemy that would probably eat you with heat spam/beam missiles....

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Holy crap mega. I never thought of that. Pulse drones with docked push beams directing them to targets. Holy crap I think I am building that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I tried Pulse-drones and failed.
    I thought the drones would fly to max weapon-range, but all they did was nothing. Seems like they "see" the enemy only if it is in x-times weapon-range. They got shot and didn't react :(
    Also pull-beam will not work, because that pulls the enemy to you and not both to each other. (Try pulling 10k mass with 10mass drone lol)
    If anyone has a solution to build sticky pulse-drones, please share it :)

Pulse is useless :(
    Push-Pulse is much more effective as astronaut-defense (more range)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    But push pulse does not damage from what I know.
    Sure it does, but only to astronauts. Testing it the first time was a very deadly experience. At least before Version 0.19174, haven't tested it since then.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Push pulse has a use. its called skoome drones. If you want more radius use a beam slave and explosive effect.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think the main reason why they are useless is their limited range. It should be buffed by a LOT.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think the main reason why they are useless is their limited range. It should be buffed by a LOT.
    Tbh I think that the range should be determined by the pulse weapon's longest dimension. That way it'd be useful for every ship type. However, that also causes problems with titan VS fighter. Any ideas?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know CrimsonArtist uses pulse systems for "Bayonet" style ramming combat. Whenever I spawn them for my faction on our private build server, things can get exceptionally honorable. We have jousting competitions! At any rate, for me, they're only useful for point blank ramming attacks, which they extremely effective at, or anti-astronaut defense, but then so are small auto turrets and locking shield doors. I've also heard of them being used for a decent amount of anti-missile defense.

However, if their range could get buffed, we might start being able to use pipe bombs, like rooks and kings in EVE online.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Pulse as a master system? lol.

that should answer your question ; )

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Also, pulse weaponry (both damage-pulse and push-pulse) seems to not work with Bobby AI. Can anybody confirm that ?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Also, pulse weaponry (both damage-pulse and push-pulse) seems to not work with Bobby AI. Can anybody confirm that ?
    i can confirm. Tried to make a Boom lance drone and it refused to go after pirates

Reaction score
    Damage-Pulse as a Primary Weapon:

/sigh

In all sincerity, either the Damage-Pulse needs a Dev's promise of "this is how we're gunna make it viable" or it needs to go. It's like the Wankel rotary engine of Starmade -- interesting in theory, but gimmicky, and ultimately eclipsed by things that are practical and durable.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    in my opinion damage pulse needs to get a higher dps per (maybe 2x or 3x) than the other weapons to make up for its so short range.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    can we please just go back to range scaling with the longest dimension of the weapon group?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    would also be interesting if they destroyed missiles. then you could have anti missile shields ...

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    would also be interesting if they destroyed missiles. then you could have anti missile shields ...
    Although only if missiles start to get some HP. Otherwise having 1/1 pulse/cannons all over the hull would be too easy. Also, pulses don't move with the ship, so your shield would be "lagging behind" (which makes for a nice trail effect on engines though).